Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Looking for positive input

(8 Posts)
Liss85 Sat 26-Mar-16 21:27:16

Hi,

I'm 18 weeks pregnant with my first. I follow a few parenting pages on facebook and everything seems to be really negative. All the articles are about how hard babies are and how awful parenting is. I understand that it's so that people who are finding it hard feel like they're not alone but it never mentions the positives and it's really starting to bother me. I'm a bit worried about how I'll cope because I have several chronic illnesses (fatigue being my worst symptom) and everyone makes it sound like parenting is nothing but an ordeal. What I'm looking for is the other side of the story. Can you give me your positives? Thanks.

moonmrs Sat 26-Mar-16 21:37:12

There are way more positives than negatives! Yes it is bloody hard work, and it is tiring, but it really is worth it. Once you get past the first few weeks and get into some sort of routine you will find pleasure in lots of little things. When they start smiling, when they can hold your hand, recognise your voice and all the 'firsts'. My ds is now 2, and yes it hasn't always been easy, but honestly, he makes me laugh so much, he is loving and helpful and such a little character. He is also very cheeky and naughty and we have our off days. But overall he has made my life complete, I am better as a person and I have learnt a lot about myself and life in general. Don't listen so much to the horror stories. There are always crap days, but there are many good ones too. Congratulations, you will be a great mum.

Liss85 Sat 26-Mar-16 21:52:17

Thanks moonmrs smile im not expecting it to be easy but people forget t say it's worth it, I think. Thank you for sharing smile

Junosmum Sat 26-Mar-16 22:44:24

It is exhausting but when DS smiles at me as I walked in the room and the total concentration he has on me (and no one else) is like no other. He melts my heart every single day and I would do all the night feeds and sore blobs 10 times over just to keep looking at his gorgeous little face.

Junosmum Sat 26-Mar-16 22:44:56

Sore boobs not blobs!

Primaryteach87 Sat 26-Mar-16 22:48:06

It is more unrelentingly exhausting than I was prepared for in the first 6 months but really gets loads better once they start sleeping through the night.

Toddler cuddles and giggles are the best :-)

Liss85 Sat 26-Mar-16 23:25:22

That sounds lovely junosmum. The sore blobs made me laugh too smile
I'm used to being exhausted so maybe it won't be so bad? At least I won't have to go to work for a while, which is what takes most of my energy now.

SodaChick Sun 27-Mar-16 02:23:12

just pour in the love! smile parenting is beautiful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now