Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Maternity Leave

(20 Posts)
BookLover94 Fri 25-Mar-16 16:05:30

Hi, I'm looking for ideas to keep me busy until the baby's here!

I'm due in June so I have 11 weeks off and I'm bored already!

Money is very tight so unfortunately things like going out for lunch, shopping, cinema, manicures etc are out of the question sad I also don't drive.

BikeRunSki Fri 25-Mar-16 16:09:08

Why have you started maternity leave so soon?

KP86 Fri 25-Mar-16 16:14:36

Find some TV shows to binge watch on Netflix or similar; go for walks around town; SLEEP IN!; join some mummy groups on Facebook and attend catch ups; read books; catch a train and go stay with family for a week or two

muddymary Fri 25-Mar-16 16:15:23

I walked the dog a lot and painted the garden furniture. I also had naps. I was quite bored and i wasn't off too long before ds arrived, if you've still got eleven weeks to go, you may have to accept that you're going to be a bit bored!

Shirkingfromhome Fri 25-Mar-16 16:16:56

Could you do a free course? OU has lots here . Learn to crochet or knit, watch a few box sets, read, go for walks, sleep, have a clear out, do your own pamper treatments at home, bake, invite friends round, research local mum & baby groups (if you're going to any).

AnotherRubberDuck Fri 25-Mar-16 16:18:18

Spring clean. Have a proper big clear out, sell old books / dvds / clothes / etc you're never going to read / watch / wear again. Tidy that annoying kitchen cupboard that's seriously overflowing.
Buy second hand bundles of 6-12 months clothes (if you know if it's a boy/girl) and wash iron and sort it all.

Teach yourself to crotchet / knit / sew and make clothes / toys for the baby. There are lots of free patterns on the Internet and fabric is expensive from fabric shops so get some cheap duvet covers from charity shops!

CityMole Fri 25-Mar-16 16:37:01

If money is tight, can you find a job? Unless there are health reasons why you cannot, there are lots of jobs you can do until pretty far on in your pregnancy.

Seems like a waste if you're stuck at home bored, but also skint!

sizethree Fri 25-Mar-16 16:56:53

Sleeps. Seriously just spend it sleeping. The entire time.
I did not ever realise what tiredness was until I had my baby.
Sleep and wake up naturally, unbroken for more than 3 hours solidly is what I would pay for!

5hell Fri 25-Mar-16 18:09:27

write a list of all those jobs you want to get done (unless you're super organised with a perfect home, there's bound to be some!) then slowly and thoroughly work your way through them; e.g. deep clean the bathroom, reorganise/spring clean your bedroom, self-manicure/pedicure etc, declutter, cooking yummy things for the freezer, sleeping etc etc

this is vaguely what I'm doing, although I'm 39+4 and only finished work at 38+4, so my list can't be very long! smile

lozengeoflove Fri 25-Mar-16 20:57:47

I've only just started mine at 36+3. Have you started yours so eRly for medical reasons. My toddler is keeping me very busy.
First time around was great: lots of sleeping, catching up on box sets, reading, seeing friends, eating out, more sleeping, baths, leaving the house in 60 seconds flat. Enjoy!

Zaurak Fri 25-Mar-16 21:31:14

Batch cook. Fill your freezer with portions of good that you can just bang in the microwave. Those plastic containers they use for takeaway are ideal - you can buy them in the supermarket/homeward stores.

slebmum1 Fri 25-Mar-16 21:34:25

That's really early! Sleep sleep and more sleep.

Pagetta Fri 25-Mar-16 22:17:05

Batch cooking is a really good idea - not having to cook first six weeks would be immense! Try new recipes and bake lots!
As much as people say sleep....you can't bank sleep. You can bank memories though - now it's spring lots of daylight for evening walks. Plant your garden ready for summer. Sew some bits for baby.
Try swimming or do an antenatal class to meet mums.
Don't waste your TV boxsets yet - you need to save them for BF-ING lol.
Try your local library for free activities and books etc. Most of all enjoy your time before baby!

northernlostsoul Fri 25-Mar-16 22:46:37

Do nothing. I have a chilled baby a put that down to sitting on the sofa

skankingpiglet Fri 25-Mar-16 23:10:03

Definitely batch cook as much as your freezer will take. I massively underestimated how difficult finding the time to cook proper meals would be in the first few months weeks. This time I have no time with a toddler and building work, so have accepted we'll be eating ready meals for a time. Last time I wasn't even sensible enough to do that and kept buying fresh ingredients with the good intentions of cooking from scratch, which rarely happened.

Does your local NCT run a bumps and babies group? You don't need to be a member to go along, it's only £1 around here, and you get to drink tea, eat biscuits, moan about how uncomfortable you are, and meet other women at a similar stage/a few months ahead with a squishy newborn. It's only a couple of hours but gets you out of the house.

Lastly enjoy solo trips to the loo, go to the cinema, go away for a short break with your OH if you can. Stuff that is either rare or impossible once the baby arrives.

Bishybishybarnabee Sat 26-Mar-16 06:17:12

I started my ML at 31 weeks. My 'plan' was to spend the first half cleaning, batch cooking, organising etc which I did. The plan for the second half was to knit, sleep, watch box sets etc. DS came along at 36 weeks however so I managed to do all the keeping busy stuff and none of the relaxation. So I'd say whatever you do make sure it includes some 'you time' and sleep!

fruitlovingmonkey Sat 26-Mar-16 06:40:59

Do a big shop for non perishable goods. Look for offers where you can and buy in stages of necessary.
I think life will be easier with a baby if you've got full cupboards and can at least make pasta with pesto or grab snacks when you are hungry without going shopping.
I'm also planning to stock up on all the little things- toothbrushes, bin bags, hand wash, etc.

Justnapping Sat 26-Mar-16 06:49:31

Cross stitch for the nursery?

BookLover94 Sun 27-Mar-16 11:05:49

Thank you, I might have a look at some free courses I can do and learn a new skill like knitting smile

To those telling me to get a job - I've been working 12.5 hour shifts in Healthcare. I'm having a complicated, high risk pregnancy (lots of bleeding, HG, fainting, SPD and reduced movement. I have so many appointments for it all that I'm financially better off on maternity leave

Sophia1984 Sun 27-Mar-16 15:04:28

I've started making a patchwork quilt - it's easier than crocheting or knitting if you don't know how to do those!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now