Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Train travel and pregnancy

(19 Posts)
londonrach Fri 25-Mar-16 07:26:29

Im 22 weeks now but have had two recent faints, funny turns. The most recent was thursday this week. Now i travel by train to work and the wed was the first time i wasnt able to get a seat as i couldnt even get into the carriage. Im not sure if linked but i was more tried than normal wed night. Has anyone had any luck with the train companies letting you sit in the first class section where there are seats?

cheapredwine Fri 25-Mar-16 07:30:24

I have a feeling their line would be quite simple unfortunately - if you want / need to sit in first class, you need to buy a first class ticket. Can you not reserve a seat? If you call in to the station ticket office they should be able to do it for you?

5hell Fri 25-Mar-16 07:42:20

some train companies do let preggos sit in first class (having bought a normal ticket) - sorry I don't know which ones, so this isn't that helpful, but definitely worth looking into more smile

londonrach Fri 25-Mar-16 07:43:37

Sadly im not sure which train back i take...depends what time i finish work but its one of two. I think ill talk to the guard. Do you think you need proof? I dont always carry my notes with me.

BabsUnited Fri 25-Mar-16 07:44:11

Just call up your train operator or go to their customer services desk if they have one at your destination and see what they suggest

londonrach Fri 25-Mar-16 07:44:46

Chilton?

londonrach Fri 25-Mar-16 07:46:18

I had to see gp and have advice from hospital yesterday to look after myself as im high risk. All the midwifes had gone by the time i phoned so gp dealt with me.

PotteringAlong Fri 25-Mar-16 07:48:55

Of course you can sit in first. Just buy a first class ticket. Or don't and take your chances.

EdmundSlackbladder Fri 25-Mar-16 08:04:35

Have you been risk assessed at work? Is it possible that you could start work later and avoid rush hour?
Failing that I guess it's a case of relying on the kindness of the train manager or paying for first class. Unfortunately the train operators themselves are not obliged to make provision for your pregnancy.

anastasiakrupnik Fri 25-Mar-16 08:07:54

You can order a free Baby on Board badgefrom TfL. If you're anywhere near the south east or any city really people should know what it means and effectively guilt someone into giving you their seat. No proof of pregnancy needed. https://tfl.gov.uk/advertorial/baby-on-board

NHKX2 Fri 25-Mar-16 09:36:29

My husband was on crutches with a broken leg and couldn't get a seat on a normal carriage, and they kicked him out of first class when he tried to sit there. I suspect they'd do the same even for a pregnant lady sadly.

Sophia1984 Fri 25-Mar-16 09:42:00

Oh I feel your pain :-( I'm going to be train and bus commuting for hours a day until I pop. I am quite ideologically opposed even to the idea of 'First Class' but managed to get a seat for as cheap as standard for work trip to London and was overwhelmed with the amount of free food!

Virgin have introduced a thing where if you can't get a seat they let you into First Class but only on West Coast mainline for now: www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/all-pregnant-women-to-be-guaranteed-a-seat-on-virgin-trains-a3167061.html

Is it possible to reserve tickets even if not first class? Takes a bit more organising but gives you more clout when trying to get people to give up their seat. I would also try my luck by saying to the guard 'Do you know if there are any empty seats on the train? I'm 22 weeks pregnant and feel faint' - I bet they'd find you somewhere..

Wondering if you could get one of those small foldy festival stools and sit in vestibule as last resort!

Sophia1984 Fri 25-Mar-16 09:43:13

Oh also, have you got your maternity exemption certificate? Maybe you could use that as evidence with some photo ID?

cheapredwine Fri 25-Mar-16 09:49:22

Why not reserve a seat (which is free now am sure) on the later of the 2 trains you could catch? And just a thought but if you're deemed high risk and you're anxious about commuting would it not be worth getting signed off sick? Or would your employer let you work from home? Do flexible hours to avoid busy times? A combination of the two? Just wondering if you should be considering commuting at all TBH

potap123 Fri 25-Mar-16 09:57:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FeatheredTail Fri 25-Mar-16 12:02:37

Most train companies will be sympathetic. I totally feel your pain re: standing up for long periods. I travel by train every day (greater anglia service into London). They offer a permit to travel in first class for the last 8 weeks of your commute before maternity leave. It's been a god send! Even before I got my permit the ticket inspectors had no problem with me sitting in first class when standard was packed.

Eastend2015 Fri 25-Mar-16 12:43:24

Just been allowed to sit in first class by London Midland trains- it's worth checking out different operators policies as most actually are sympathetic. I think evidence is needed though e.g a gp's letter or mat1b form. Good luck!

londonrach Fri 25-Mar-16 12:54:45

I have a mat b form and the extremption certificate. Its just the evening train thats the problem. Sadly they already flexed as much as they can but i have a long journary that puts me in rush hour no matter what happens. Normally not been a problem as everyone has been lovely on the trains. This wed i just couldnt get into the carriage. Work has been fab with my colleagues doing the patients in wheelchairs and swapping them for walking patients. Really am being supported by work and family its just the train journary on wed that knocked me up. Think ill talk to the guard next time and telll them how ill i was and show him my forms. Im happy to show the scan if needed. Im sad i carry my 20 week scan photo with me!

Melfish Fri 25-Mar-16 12:57:07

South West Trains upgrade your season ticket to 1st class if you are pregnant I believe. Sadly my train doesn't have a first class carriage (cattle all the way) but my work allowed me to start a bit later or earlier so that I could avoid the busy times.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now