Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When did you start buying big items?

(24 Posts)
Nemz716 Wed 23-Mar-16 16:55:37

I'm currently 14 weeks and have seen some good baby bargains on eBay from someone who lives down the road from me. Is it too early to start buying big baby items such as a Moses basket?

When did you start buying big items?

user1457442632 Wed 23-Mar-16 16:59:32

Watching this post as I'm wandering too!!

LifeIsBetterInFlipFlops Wed 23-Mar-16 17:02:59

Not until I was 6 months.

JellyBaby26 Wed 23-Mar-16 17:04:08

If they are bargains I would but no need to splurge so early.

There are often good sales in the summer which would be worth waiting for I would say.

Chrisinthemorning Wed 23-Mar-16 17:10:02

After 20 week scan seems a good milestone? That's when we started shopping smile

sepa Wed 23-Mar-16 17:27:39

I did after 20 week scan but if there are bits that are a bargain then purchase it!

trilbydoll Wed 23-Mar-16 17:28:55

Pushchair and Moses basket at 28w. Everything else after dd arrived. We are superstitious grin

Alb1 Wed 23-Mar-16 18:32:52

We got our pram with DS at 15 weeks because it was an eBay bargain, it's not like it's potentially dangerous for the baby or anything like the banned foods are, and it's exciting! Go for it if it's a bargain smile

Beth2511 Wed 23-Mar-16 18:39:34

We are getting ours through our local stores baby plan where you pay monthly then its all delivered. Will be ordering at 12 weeks to give plenty of time but it can be cancelled minus small charge anytime

TriJo Thu 24-Mar-16 11:05:46

First one we got was our travel system - got that at 22 weeks.

FifiRebel Thu 24-Mar-16 12:54:10

I found a bugaboo on eBay for a ridiculously cheap price when I was very early (around 8 weeks). I bought it as reasoned if anything happened to baby, the cost would be last thing on my mind. I'm 22 weeks now and have most things - have bought things as I've seen them/spotted offers.

HD18 Thu 24-Mar-16 12:57:32

I think it's all up to you, everyone feels differently about when to start buying things. I waited until my 12 week scan then started buying things where as some people wait until much much later on. I think it's all about when you feel comfortable to start thinking about it. I bought my nursery furniture in the Christmas sales when I was around 15 weeks. I'm 29 weeks now and pretty much have everything sorted.

Ludwsys Thu 24-Mar-16 13:04:22

He was about 5 days old! Lol

TwoLittleBlooms Thu 24-Mar-16 13:23:17

I bought my travel system (Graco Evo) at 14/15 weeks, it was half price in Mothercare as the colour was being discontinued. Got the travel system (including the carrycot ) for £250 - if you spot a bargain then go for it!

cantbelieveImquittingcoffee Thu 24-Mar-16 13:25:11

I'm 34 weeks and got the travel system last week (and only then because it was a special price and I was scared of it going up!!). Otherwise we have been given a cotbed (but plan on buying a side crib for the first 6 months) but still need a mattress, no car seat yet (actually still need to get the car too!!) and have a few sleep suits and that is it! We did have quite a lot of building work to do though so that took up most of our energy for the past 6 months!
Meanwhile my good friend had a full wardrobe of clothes, pram set up in the corner of the living room and hospital bag packed weeks ago - everyone is different! Just go with what feels comfortable for you - buying anything early gave me the heebie jeebies (even now it does a bit!!) but other people really want to plan ahead!

socktastic Thu 24-Mar-16 16:18:15

Ordered pram and furniture after 20 week scan. Now 26 weeks and beginning to think about the smaller big things. I managed to find a 2nd hand tommee yippee set steriliser, perfect prep, milk warmer etc by joining my local facebay site. That might be worth looking at?

kiki22 Thu 24-Mar-16 16:38:22

I bought my pram around 15 weeks because the one I wanted was on sale half price. Im not superstitious so never worried about jinxing things the only thing I would worry about is if the worst was to happen I would be left with all the baby stuff but that could happen at any stage so I put it to the side and just started buying. I need to start buying/saving early money wise and am not one for shopping sprees so I find it easier to pick things up as I go.

Elephantslovetofly Thu 24-Mar-16 18:12:32

I'm 34 weeks and I think we have most things. Started buying stuff around 12 weeks I think, mainly buying things when there were good deals about. We got the furniture earlier than planned as we went to a fair and they were offering 30% off if you bought 3 pieces (or something)

We also wanted to spread the cost, so that we weren't needing to buy it all towards the end. I'm not superstitious either, I didn't believe that buying things early would jinx the pregnancy - what will be will be. I know others disagree with this though!

Just remember if you buy big things early you need somewhere to store it all....

Runner05 Thu 24-Mar-16 18:55:03

I'm just under 18 weeks and I've just started buying big items but this is just because I've seen some fantastic bargains that I couldn't turn up.

Wait4nothing Thu 24-Mar-16 19:05:04

We started buying at around 24 weeks - the travel system first then spaced out bigger purchases - we're not buying a cot until after its here (have a Moses basket) as the nursery has a useable sofa bed until we add a cot! Bought 2x car seats, bits for the nursery, Moses basket and stand, and more little stuff (along with clothes/blankets). Be warned - we have been very lucky that lots of people want to buy an item for us to the point we were struggling with what to ask for! (Don't want stuff we don't need) So it was good we hadn't done all our shopping - sil has got a changing bag, pil a bouncer, my parents have paid for the nursery decoration (wall paper, blinds, paint ect) but then there's still family friends, godparents, friends and work asking! This baby will be kitted out!

Chocolatteaddict1 Thu 24-Mar-16 19:09:00

I'm eight weeks and Dh came home on
Sunday with a £250 rocking chair (mammaroo)

It went back the next day

Bobbycatz Thu 24-Mar-16 19:32:49

I'm 14 weeks and just ordered some nursery furniture from mamas and papas. I wanted to take advantage of the offer and they can deliever it when you want (or you can cancel the order) so I'm getting it delivered after our 20 week scan.

AprilShowers16 Thu 24-Mar-16 19:47:13

I'm 22 weeks and haven't bought anything yet, have been promised some bits by a few people but will probably start looking at stuff fairly soon so can keep my eye out for a bargain

OwlinaTree Thu 24-Mar-16 19:52:02

The idea that you jinx it by buying too early is pretty offensive tbh. If the worst happens you won't feel any better because you didn't buy a pram yet.

You buy when you feel ready op, if it's a bargain go for it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now