Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

baths and early pregnancy

(12 Posts)
tamzo Wed 23-Mar-16 16:09:55

I am between 4-5 weeks pregnant and have been reading a lot of things about baths, I was just wondering if I can still have a bath or not

TrojanWhore Wed 23-Mar-16 16:10:49

What exactly have you been reading?

SweepTheHalls Wed 23-Mar-16 16:12:07

Er..
Feel free to have a bath throughout your pregnancy. I'm also intrigued as to what you might have read!

tamzo Wed 23-Mar-16 16:12:12

That hot baths can bring on a miscarriage

dementedpixie Wed 23-Mar-16 16:14:19

I wouldn't be having a super hot bath or a sauna but normal baths are fine

whiteychappers Wed 23-Mar-16 16:19:41

Just dont boil the baby! If it makes your skin red, its too hot x

Artioo2 Wed 23-Mar-16 16:43:06

Baths are fine, hot or otherwise (although you're more likely to faint than normal, so too hot not good for that reason). It's hot tubs and saunas that are the issue because the temperature is maintained at a high level (unlike a bath that loses heat) and the skin can't get rid of heat, so they can increase core body temperature - it's that core body temperature increase that can cause a risk to the baby.

tamzo Wed 23-Mar-16 16:57:44

Thanks a lot x

TrojanWhore Wed 23-Mar-16 17:00:20

It's pretty unlikely that you could bear to sit in a bath hot enough to raise your core temperature for long enough for it to do so.

KayTee87 Wed 23-Mar-16 21:42:23

Take a glass of cold water with you, as long as it's not burning your skin and you don't feel dizzy with the heat it's fine.

tamzo Wed 23-Mar-16 22:25:49

Thank you

suspiciousofgoldfish Thu 24-Mar-16 00:18:02

You won't 'boil the baby'! grin what a hilarious yet disturbing notion...

Your baby is pretty well protected in its little amniotic bag so having a bath is fine.

The cautionary advice is more about you overheating, becoming dehydrated etc.

Don't sit in a sauna all day or run a desert marathon. But yes, you can have a bath!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now