Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnancy struggles and work

(5 Posts)
CamembertQueen Tue 22-Mar-16 08:15:15

I am 30 weeks pregnant and have planned to take my maternity leave at 37 weeks. I was signed off from week 7-16 with Hyperemesis, yet this still hasn't really subsided. I am now struggling with bad sciatica pain. Work have been in good in that I have been able to work from home however, my job is very stressful and I am out and about within the community a lot.

Yesterday I just found it so difficult, I was throwing up in the car and then had to park ages away from were I had to go. Then there was no lift and so I had to climb 4 flights of stairs which was nearly impossible. I was in so much pain, felt faint and just exhausted from it all. I couldn't focus on what I needed to do when I got there. This is the nature of my job, so I never know where I will be going next. My husband is telling me to go to the GP and get signed off as I shouldn't be struggling so much. I feel so guilty though and hate to ask the GP to sign me off which sounds ridiculous but does it sound like I need to? Was anyone signed off for the last 7 weeks or so?

murphyslaws Tue 22-Mar-16 08:22:41

I was I had bad sciatica. Couldn't sit stand walk or lay down. I felt bad but my boss was amazing he turned around and said "work is work and will always be there. Damage yourself or your baby and they might disappear".

I was signed off for 6 weeks the. Took annual leave. Before maternity.

Peyia Tue 22-Mar-16 09:19:36

You have to put yourself and baby first. Check your policy as mine says that if I am signed off due to pregnancy related illness in the last 10 weeks (can't remember exact gestation) automatically starts my MAT leave.

Good luck flowers

CamembertQueen Tue 22-Mar-16 12:15:19

Thanks, yeah mine is from week 36 or 37 I think, which is good. Have taken today off, feeling a bit better for it!

Liss85 Sat 26-Mar-16 21:07:07

My policy (I work for the governemt) is that if you're off work a lot towards the end they can make you take maternity leave from 36 weeks. Perhaps talk to your manager and see if there's any way they can change your role for the remainder of your time with them. Most policies say that if you're doing something you can't do because of pregnancy (e.g heavy lifting) then your employer has to find you alternative work so I think that would still apply here. Just tell them you want to stay in work so can they work with you to do that otherwise you're going to need to be signed off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now