Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

MRI while pregnant

(15 Posts)
Earlyday Mon 21-Mar-16 21:31:07

Can you have an MRI while pregnant?

I need to get one to monitor a serious illness I had. My consultant said I could get one - he knew I was pregnant. I specifically asked as it safe for me while pregnant and he said it was.

When I rang today to book it the women in the MRI office and the nurse working there were both adamant that I can't have an MRI while pregnant??

I've insisted they go back and check with the doctor - they reluctantly agreed but won't be back to me until Wednesday.

PurpleDaisies Mon 21-Mar-16 21:33:52

How pregnant are you? While there's no evidence to suggest MRIs pose no risk in pregnancy if I remember rightly they sometimes won't scan before three months.

PurpleDaisies Mon 21-Mar-16 21:35:33

there's no evidence to suggest MRIs pose any risk in pregnancy

I accidentally said the opposite of what I meant my first post. Sorry!

Shirkingfromhome Mon 21-Mar-16 21:38:06

As far as I'm aware they are not recommended in early pregnancy but are generally ok in the second and third trimesters (according to current NHS guidelines anyway).

Earlyday Mon 21-Mar-16 21:38:28

I'm 12 weeks now

They just said no MRI whatsoever while pregnant. No other reason given - just that I can't have it as I'm pregnant. I'm over due an MRI by 3 months now.

Earlyday Mon 21-Mar-16 21:41:28

They did not say I can get one at a later stage of pregnancy. They just mentioned coming back for it after the baby is born whereas the doctor felt I needed one now or soon enough.

I had breast cancer which was treated but needs to be monitored Obviously I would want to catch it early if it came back -especially while pregnant.

PurpleDaisies Mon 21-Mar-16 21:43:43

They're definitely wrong-you can have MRIs in pregnancy. It's possible the nurse has an issue with "computer says no" and a doctor from your consultant might have to call to sort it out. Could you ring his secretary?

PurpleDaisies Mon 21-Mar-16 21:45:32

Here are the guidelines...
www.nhs.uk/Conditions/MRI-scan/Pages/Who-can-use-it.aspx

Shirkingfromhome Mon 21-Mar-16 22:06:26

They might be more hesitant if you are under consultant-led care for your pregnancy, which may explain any reluctance?

cantbelieveImquittingcoffee Mon 21-Mar-16 22:25:47

Hmm...well, given that there is a massive research study going on (that I volunteered for) that consists of conducting MRIs on pregnant women to monitor fetal brain development I'm surprised you have been told that you can't have (what sounds like) a medically vital MRI. My MRI was conducted after 20 weeks so I'm not sure if the timing was important, but it sounds to me like it's worth getting another opinion.

evilgiraffe Mon 21-Mar-16 22:34:17

Timing might be an issue but I was part of a study when pregnant with DD - had an MRI at about 30 weeks (comparing MRI with ultrasound). It was great to have a bonus scan, and we have some fabulously creepy pictures of slices of DD grin

And that of course was an MRI specifically of the baby, not another area. Definitely get a second opinion and/or get your consultant to do the booking for you.

Kay0502 Mon 21-Mar-16 23:14:08

I have got to go for one but they said they won't do it till I'm confirmed by scan as being over 12 weeks. I have my scan on Friday which should confirm this and they will rebook my appointment then. They said the risks to myself and the baby are minimal after 12 weeks so I can't see why they wouldn't do one for you.

TitsCrossed Mon 21-Mar-16 23:25:50

I had to have MRI of my spine in pregnancy, it was ordered by the consultant obstetrician, I got an appointment, attended then when there the radiographer told me I couldn't have it as against the hospital policy.
Ended up going to a different hospital for the scan, after much faff, it was requested by the neurosurgeon in a different trust (with a different policy). All was fine.

TitsCrossed Mon 21-Mar-16 23:26:59

Well, it wasn't fine, my spine was fucked, but having the actual scam was fine!
Hope all goes well for you.

TitsCrossed Mon 21-Mar-16 23:27:20

*scaN

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now