Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

New Job - when would you tell work?

(6 Posts)
elliej83 Mon 21-Mar-16 18:47:16

I started a new job last week. I found out I was pregnant just before I started and I have a 3 month probation period.

I'm concerned because the MD who is female has hired me in to the role of someone who is coming back off mat leave but wants to go part time. Therefore she's suggested another role for her as she wants some continuity in my role as they've had someone temporary for 9 months. She doesn't seem to favour part time working.

With this in mind I don't know when to tell them I'm pregnant. I've read online that it's easy to terminate a contract in probation and say it's 'not working out'. Especially when they don't know me that well yet and perhaps and that commited to me.

However, if I wait until my probation period is up I've worked out the week it's up I'll be 21 weeks pregnant so if I tell them at 22 weeks how feasible is it to disguise until then? Do I seem dishonest / deceitful that I've waited that long to say?

I'm the main breadwinner in our house so we couldn't really do without my pay. I'm getting so stressed out about this its risiculous. Hoping someone has been in this position or is in this position to make me feel less alone.

mrschatty Mon 21-Mar-16 18:50:01

Reay not sure WHEN you need to tell them but I do know it's illegal for them to ask you if your pregnant and also to dismiss you for that reason and congratulations!!!flowers

Hairyfecker Mon 21-Mar-16 18:51:56

Firstly, congratulations.
In your own mind, what do you expect to happen - would you return there after ML, would there be a chance you'd want to work part time yourself?
Telling them - I told an employee at 14 weeks and it was getting fairly obvious to anyone observant by then. If you haven't told them, but they notice and terminate your employment, you'd have less of a claim against them than if you had made them aware of the pg. certainly try to make a good impression for a month or so first though!

elliej83 Mon 21-Mar-16 18:54:31

I know legally is 25 weeks but when do people usually tell their employers?

I do want to work there after ML, possibly 4 days we aren't sure if we could afford it yet. If not would be full time.

Trickytricky Mon 21-Mar-16 19:01:20

I had a similar situation. I'd started a new job and was pregnant when I started (but wasn't when I accepted the job). I told them after my 12 week scan as wanted to be honest with them and was eating me up
inside. I did consider waiting until my probation was up and telling them at about 20 weeks but decided against that in the end. It sounds like your boss would be a bit pissed off to find out your pregnant so I'd be inclined to wait until after your probation. You have no duty to tell them until 25 weeks (I think) and in your situ (as main breadwinner). I'd want to make sure job was secure. Good luck!

babynumber3eek Mon 21-Mar-16 19:18:52

I would definitely tell them when you would normally have told any employer - whatever feels natural e.g. After 12 week scan.

Firstly, if they terminate you in your probation period and know you're pregnant they are opening themselves up for a tribunal and so would be unlikely to do this. Secondly, you don't yet know what support you need e.g. time off for appointments etc. If you don't tell them then any sickness would count and time off could get hard to arrange. Finally, most employers value honesty and trying to suck yourself in until the day after your probation period ends sounds more stressful than any pregnant woman needs!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now