Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Spotty during pregnancy

(16 Posts)
bristollady Mon 21-Mar-16 17:43:57

Has anyone else had really bad skin during pregnancy? I used to have quite clear skin but right now at 12 weeks my skin is erupting with spots all around the lower half of my face. It's like I'm 15 again! Is it down to pregnancy or could it be the skincare products I'm using?

I just started using Boots No7 Protect & Perfect. I was just using the moisturiser before but I just got a gift set with the serum in which I started using as well. Could it be the new product? Or just hormones? On the one hand I want to stop the wrinkles but equally I don't want to get spotty! Do I have to choose?! Lol!

AdvocateNotAdvocat Mon 21-Mar-16 17:52:51

Often a byproduct of pregnancy OP. If you're worried or think the spots could be as a result of an virus/infection (eg chicken pox) contact your midwife or GP.

bristollady Mon 21-Mar-16 17:57:10

Thanks! That's reassuring. I have had very few symptoms really, apart from a little nausea, so I guess something had to give! I've had chicken pox already and it doesn't look like that. I guess I'll just have to be a spotty dotty for now!

Secretmomma79 Mon 21-Mar-16 18:12:48

I'm at a similar stage to you OP and have also got lumbered with teenage-looking acne on chin and lower part of face- sounds hormonal.

bristollady Mon 21-Mar-16 21:22:26

@Secretmomma79 It's awful, isn't it? The lower half of my face looks like a pizza! I'm going to put toothpaste on it tonight - apparently that helps.

HeadTilt Tue 22-Mar-16 11:55:59

That serum made me very spotty even when not pregnant.

I sold the part used tube on ebay and got quite a lot for it!

sparkleshine83 Tue 22-Mar-16 12:01:01

I was really spotty early pregnancy - people would say I was 'blooming' and I'd be thinking 'I feel greasy spotty and achy'. Thank goodness it's settled down now!

kiki22 Tue 22-Mar-16 13:08:43

It's mostly hormonal in the first trimester most likely but also your skin can change general during pregnancy, if your getting spots your skin will likely be more oily so anything that's anti aging may make it worse. Anti aging products are often quite oily as mature skin is often dry so you may be putting more oil into your skin.

At the moment I am using a hydrating moisturiser on my forehead and t zone and an anti spot moisturiser on my chin and cheeks because my pregnant skin is so dramatically different.

bristollady Tue 22-Mar-16 18:04:45

Thanks everyone! I suspect the serum might be partly responsible! It feels a bit greasy. I've stopped using it for now. Might have to switch moisturiser as well if it doesn't calm down.

kiki22 Wed 23-Mar-16 07:35:14

You could probably still use the serum round your eye and forehead areas if they are spot free unless it starts breaking out there.

quitecrunchy Wed 23-Mar-16 08:16:28

Yep my chin is erupting too. I'm 18+2 and patiently awaiting the 'blooming' stage! I used tea tree oil on them last week - big mistake! It really irritated the area which went bright red, lumpy and dry for several days then peeled hmm Lovely. I'm usually fine with tea tree so just a warning to others that your pregnancy skin might not react in the same way as normal. Might try the toothpaste, surely that can't go too wrong!

DowntonDiva Wed 23-Mar-16 08:23:23

Generally clean skin but at 12 weeks my spots were hideous!! I have the holiday pictures to prove it.

Mine got better in 2nd trimester but was replaced with very very dry skin.

Stuck religiously to cleanse and moisturise twice a day with Avene products (can get in big boots stores). Religiously removed make up, make up free days when I can etc..

Secretmomma79 Thu 24-Mar-16 19:33:35

How did you get on with toothpaste bristollady? Hope it worked! Bit too drying for me so lashings of concealer it is 😕

bristollady Fri 25-Mar-16 17:23:41

@Secretmomma79 Toothpaste worked a treat! It dried them all out and they appear to be on the way out now. Face looking less like a pizza every day! Lol!

Everythinggettingbigger Fri 25-Mar-16 20:12:10

Yep! I had bad skin as a teenager but it cleared up and I had quite nice skin....around week 11 the spots started across my forehead. ...I'm now nearly 32 weeks and although it's slightly better I'm still covered! During my first pregnancy I had lovely glowing skin......this time round I have this. ....both boys!

Secretmomma79 Sun 27-Mar-16 21:07:52

Good news bristol

That's interesting everything, I'm convinced DC is a boy and the spots on my forehead have just started...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now