Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone had a scan at Kings College recently?

(15 Posts)
Babylon12 Sun 20-Mar-16 20:21:07

Hi
Just wondering if anyone has been to kings college for their 12 week scan recently. I've had my appointment through, just re-read the letter and it says to bring a camera to take a picture as they don't print them. Is this correct? You have to take a picture of the screen? confused

TheBeanpole Mon 21-Mar-16 11:31:56

Had one last week, and yep, that's what we did. The new FMC is brilliant though and very efficient- fab to have it all done in one day. You will be surrounded by researchers!

LumpishAndIllogical Mon 21-Mar-16 11:49:43

We took a pic on dp's phone, was better quality than print outs from last time! And we could print/send as many times as we want. The scan will come up in big flat screen and you can watch the whole thing then take the pic.

I did find researchers very pushy, particularly at 22week scan were they tried to push a transvaginal scan also. Despite what they said, the leaflet says no benefits apart from research. I said no to all research. Found it invasive. But they were quite rude. I am v low risk and in second pregnancy.

Good luck. Hope you enjoy scan x

TheBeanpole Mon 21-Mar-16 12:36:16

Ah what a shame they were rude. Not on. Was 100x better for me than Lewisham where I had my first.

LumpishAndIllogical Mon 21-Mar-16 14:07:59

On the bright side you know they are very good at checking for abnormalities and very medically thorough at kings fetal medical institute, even if their bedside manner is a bit rubbish sometimes

smile

BendydickCuminsnatch Mon 21-Mar-16 14:09:29

shock wow!!!! DS was born there in May 2015 and we were allowed lots of pics (paid for obvs). That's sad!

Was a brilliant hospital though, and you get a bonus scan at 36 weeks as standard (unless they've changed that too!) smile

Good luck.

chaosagain Mon 21-Mar-16 14:34:17

I'm under Kings and have my 36 week scan there next week. They've moved buildings since my 20 week scan, so this system is new to me too but frankly the pictures from the previous scans weren't great so we'll probably do better on a phone! At least we can choose the image.
I was slightly freaked out by how long the 12 week scan and 20 week scan took there. (This is my third baby and it was MUCH longer than at a different big London teaching hospital with previous pregnancies). What I hadn't understood (because they're not great at explaining stuff) is that a lot of the scan is about gathering data around their research in addition to the standard scan measurements etc. Lots of benefits for us as patients in them looking at EVERYTHING in great detail but I wish I'd known that was the case beforehand. The researchers' communications skills aren't great IME.
They will offer you the transvaginal scan at 20 weeks. This is primarily to measure the length of your cervix as a short measurement can be an indicator of a risk of early labour. It's mostly about their research but doesn't hurt you to have an extra check up. Unlike a previous poster, they weren't pushy with me at all and said to me that lots of women decline it. I've been monitored for it in each pregnancy (history of cervical surgery) so was comfortable with it but it's up to you.

Babylon12 Mon 21-Mar-16 17:50:09

Thanks for the replies. So will they pause the screen for us to be able to take a picture of do you just snap away as they're scanning you? So for all the questions I'm just confused how it would work. Also were the transvaginal scans only for 20 week scans and not 12 week?

LumpishAndIllogical Mon 21-Mar-16 21:17:10

HI,
Regarding the pictures, they will put stills up on the screen at the end that you can take a picture and get a good angle. So don't worry regarding that.

The transvaginal scan and 'swab' are only offered at 20-22weeks scan,
and it will probably nicer for you to be prepared as I wasn't! They will ask you to take part in research at 12 weeks scan as well. So just be ready so that you can make the decisions right for you.

My problem with it was that they were very pushy, and I had no prior warning about an invasive procedure (or a good explanation). The sonographer was very 'short' with me when I said no and tried to push it for my entire scan! Completely ruined the experience. Maybe if you say 'no' then they are pushy. DP was also very upset with how they treated me!

The leaflet says you should be able to discuss options with your GP prior to the appointment, but this was impossible as I was not told about transvaginal scan and swab (I really didn't want the swab as they said it was like a smear and I passed out last time I had a smear!) until I was having my blood pressure taken 2 mins before the scan. They literally gave me no time to think!

I really wish they could have informed us better before the appointment.

Saying all this, my 12 week scan was much more pleasant than 22 week. They were still not happy I refused research but nicer about it. So I may have been unlucky with my sonographer(s) at 22 week scan.

TheBeanpole Mon 21-Mar-16 21:33:48

They're also offering Harmony to anyone with more than a 1/500 risk. It's done the same day. If that's of interest to anyone.
Tbf I was also offered a cervical scan at Lewisham at 20 weeks, not research related. But was informed in advance by letter.

LumpishAndIllogical Mon 21-Mar-16 21:43:03

They warned you in advance? Wish they had done that at kings.

I was never offered transvaginal scan during previous pregnancy, ds now 5, so I was a bit shocked.

Otherwise kings are very good, also had some lovely midwives

Babylon12 Mon 21-Mar-16 22:02:21

Thanks for the heads up, at least I'll feel prepared for it all now. I read a few things online where people said they were there for 3,4 hours, I hope mine isn't that long, I'll be hungry if nothing else grin

LumpishAndIllogical Mon 21-Mar-16 22:51:43

No problem. For us at 12 week scan they did blood test and asked us to wait for result, as part of harmony test (which is normally what they do). Scan 45 mins long plus waiting times meant we were there for 2.5 hours in total. I would definitely bring snacks! smile

LBOCS2 Mon 21-Mar-16 23:04:06

Although it all sounds like it changed since I had my 12 week scan there (25 weeks ago?!) they do do all the chromosomal testing in the same day so you're there for a LONG time - I think it was about 5 hours for us in the end? DH and I wandered up to Nandos and had dinner while we were waiting grin

There also always seems to be quite a lot of waiting around. I've had a couple of 12 week scans there and I've never been seen within an hour of my appointment time.

Bleats Tue 22-Mar-16 05:13:49

Oh if you haven't yet been to the new scan centre (Harris Featel Reasearch Centre) you are due for a genuine treat. The new building is built in celebration of pregnancy. The lead clinician Dr Nicolidias (check spelling...) created the 12 week scan and his research drives lots of extra tests that you just don't get elsewhere. He, rightly imo, states that pregnacy isn't an illness and he has created a modern temple to the condition in that building. I am guessing that you will never have been in a more stylish NHS hospital (or corporate HQ). Enjoy and don't worry on getting pics they know that we want them and it is set up for some good shots.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now