Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

DC #2 when did milk start coming in

(10 Posts)
Jenjen85 Sun 20-Mar-16 18:05:36

With DD I remember leaking milk/colostrum appearing from around 24ish wks. When does it normally start with subsequent pregnancies. I'm 16+4 with DC2 and nothing yet but as I struggled with milk with my first I want to do everything I can to help production. I know I'm probably being silly and its way too early but it's weighing on my mind

Flossiesmummy Sun 20-Mar-16 18:07:51

I'm 25 weeks with #2 and they're leaky already - especially the right one!

Hairyfecker Sun 20-Mar-16 18:08:28

Er... Four days after he was born?

PeppasNanna Sun 20-Mar-16 18:09:26

Day 3/4 postnatally with all 6 dc

ISeeIt Sun 20-Mar-16 18:11:49

I didn't have any leakage before either of my 2 DC were born but had oversupply with both when they were here! Pregnant again now (28 weeks) and there's a teeny bit of colostrum if I squeeze but that's it. The best possible helper of supply is letting your baby feed on demand. You're probably well supplied with info already but finding a local LLL group is a great idea for advice and support, and Kellymom.com has a wealth of evidence based info to equip yourself with. Good luck

TattieHowkerz Sun 20-Mar-16 18:12:21

With my first I didn't really notice anything til after I gave birth.

I'm 18 weeks with my second, have some yellowish marks on my nips most days which I think is drops of dried colostrum. Have noticed this for the past week or two.

ShowOfHands Sun 20-Mar-16 18:13:19

The milk won't come in until the baby's born as it's the placenta which triggers it. Leaking colostrum isn't a great indicator of anything tbh.

I didn't leak colostrum with my second btw. My milk came in seamlessly the day after he was born.

Good milk supply and milk coming in depends upon baby being put to the breast regularly and with a good latch. Supply should match demand. I know that sounds reductive and often it's not so simple. But it is what happens post birth which ensures supply.

Do you have local breastfeeding support and help at home from a partner or family?

Artioo2 Sun 20-Mar-16 18:16:48

Your milk doesn't need to leak at all beforehand to indicate supply. It does for some people but for many women there's no sign of milk until a few days after the birth. I had no leaks at all for two pregnancies and had no supply issues. You can't really do anything at this stage to help supply - it's just a case of feeding lots once the baby is here and getting help with your positioning and latch if there are any problems. The one practical thing I would say you could do at this stage is research any local breastfeeding support and even go along to talk to them about your concerns before the birth.

Hairyfecker Sun 20-Mar-16 18:21:34

Peppasnana - brewcake

Jenjen85 Sun 20-Mar-16 19:04:43

Thanks ladies I do have support at home from DH showofhands there are groups locally to me and I visited them with DD but still struggled. This time round I have a one 2 one midwife and they are available whenever I need help postnatally for upto 8weeks so I'm hoping with all the help I'll manage to do it this time. I just got so sore my nipples were bleeding. DD latched on fine but then would somehow come off herself then couldn't latch again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now