Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

7wks preg. is macdonalds milkshake ok to have?

(17 Posts)
Oooblimey Sun 20-Mar-16 10:27:00

I've read that I shouldn't have soft ice cream like Mr whippy, is macdonalds milkshake the same?
I've had bad nausea all week and the only thing I fancy in macdonalds chocolate milkshake! I had one yesterday and it was bliss but now I'm worried I shouldn't have? And advise please on why it is or isn't ok?

allthegoodnamesalreadytaken Sun 20-Mar-16 10:29:14

Hope this helps

Oooblimey Sun 20-Mar-16 10:35:19

Thanks allthegood that's reassuring. I don't understand why Mr whippy is not ok then? Anyway.... Off to macdonalds drive through for ten minutes of nausea relief...!

NeedACleverNN Sun 20-Mar-16 10:41:38

Mr whippey ice cream is fine too btw because its pasteurised.

It's only un-pasteurised stuff you should avoid due and even then it's such a small risk that if you did eat anything un-pasteurised, as long as it's not frequent you don't need to overly panic

Junosmum Sun 20-Mar-16 12:01:21

www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/foods-to-avoid-pregnant.aspx

if it isn't a no no on this list then eat away.

Milkshake and mr whippy are fine. Some countries advise avoiding such things (and others, and say you can eat things we are told to avoid), but there is so much conflicting info out there you are best to stick to your countries advice.

PeaceLoveAndJaffaCakes Sun 20-Mar-16 12:24:54

I thought Mr Whippy was just due to dubious hygiene in ice cream vans? My DS was 75% McDonalds when I was pregnant.

Nahma Sun 20-Mar-16 15:01:49

My midwife told me this week to avoid both Mr Whippy and McDonalds milkshakes because the machines are notoriously hard to clean inside of so they carry an increased risk of harbouring listeria. I'm going to steer clear!

dementedpixie Sun 20-Mar-16 15:03:53

I am sure they have strict hygiene standards and that the machines are cleaned regularly. I would be more dubious about ice cream van ice cream tbh

jollyjester Sun 20-Mar-16 15:07:00

Dd who is now four and my current bump if 24 weeks mostly consist of McDonald's strawberry milkshakes!

And crisps and big macs.

cricketqueen Sun 20-Mar-16 15:14:59

The milkshake machines are taken apart and cleaned every night at mcdonalds. Tbh they are probably cleaner than most kitchens. Dunno if the same could be said about ice cream vans. You will be fine. If it stops your nausea eat it.

BuzzLightyearsHoneyBun Sun 20-Mar-16 15:32:35

I was told the ice cream and milk shake machines at macdonalds have such high hygiene standards that you are fine to have them from there.
What is it about macdonalds when you are pregnant?!!

whiteychappers Sun 20-Mar-16 15:57:04

Ive been having them, made some of my worst nausea days bearable. The world has gone mad with what you can/cannot have!

thisismypassword Sun 20-Mar-16 16:30:54

No

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sun 20-Mar-16 16:32:58

Yeah Mr Whippy is inadvisable because ice-cream vans tend to have dubious hygiene at best - McDonald's has quite stringent hygiene standards so that is fine.

Enjoy your chocolate milkshake!

LolaLatte Sun 20-Mar-16 18:29:18

My midwife told me to avoid soft whip ice cream (including McDonalds milkshakes) because the powdered milk they use for them isn't pasteurised, it's freeze dried which doesn't kill the bacteria in the same way.
However, i have no idea if this is true so would do my own research before deciding whether to risk it!

LolaLatte Sun 20-Mar-16 18:30:52

Only just looked at the link above which suggests that it's not true - think I would go for it based on that!

Oooblimey Sun 20-Mar-16 20:44:53

I went for it - it was goooooood! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now