Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

exercising

(15 Posts)
JoMalones Sun 20-Mar-16 09:57:52

Hi. I've only just got my BFP this week. I had a Mmc in December and I put on 2 stone so since 1st Feb I've been exercising 5 times a week. Usually 30min cardio (20min HIIT or 45min power walking) then 30min circuits with weights (Kayla Beach Body). So far lost 1.5stone.

Since my BFP I've been full of flu and didn't leave my bed yesterday. I've stopped my reduce calorie intake (was deficit of 750 a day) as my bmi is normal (20.5) but what can I do exercise wise? I've heard planks and sit ups aren't good or kettle bells so I'm unsure what is safe.

I haven't been fussed at all about exercise before in my other pregnancies but as I'm not confident with the pregnancy I don't want to be back in the same situation again and I'm still 1/2st above where I wanted to be. Equally, I don't want to risk anything.

whiteychappers Sun 20-Mar-16 10:16:15

I would just avoid the weights as u might pull something. My midwife told me to not do anything that massively raises your heart rate but then I'm not fit like you! I think probably your body will tell you when its had enough and as you go further on fatigue will set in anyway. I did not get off the sofa for about 4 weeks.

JoMalones Sun 20-Mar-16 10:20:42

Thanks Whitey I'm not for at all, I just desperately needed to lose weight and I hated every minute of exercising as I wanted to be on the sofa, watching to, drinking tea and eating chocolate! (Like I am now!)

Junosmum Sun 20-Mar-16 12:06:24

As long as you feel ok you are able tocarry on your normal exercise routine until 12 weeks. After 12 weeks avoid stomach muscle exercises such as crunches and reduce your weights

Be aware that hormones from pregnancy make you more likely to injure yourself - pull a muscle etc so ensure that your technique is correct, though this won't hurt the baby.

Take cues from your body and if you feel it's too much take it down a notch.

Being fit and active in pregnancy makes labour much easier.

whiteychappers Sun 20-Mar-16 16:46:55

Ive just been for a long walk today and feel like I've been doing sit ups grin haha

Bellejournee Sun 20-Mar-16 17:17:28

I walk - a lot. Currently 34 weeks pregnant and on average I'm walking 5/6 miles a day, sometimes I'm up to 8, sometimes 3.5 miles. Not sure if I'll be managing it in a few weeks, but have walked 5/6 days a week since since before I was even pregnant. Keeps me fit without being too strenuous.

JoMalones Sun 20-Mar-16 17:55:37

Thank you all! Will carry on walking then and just do lighter weights with squats and arms

KP86 Sun 20-Mar-16 18:21:09

If your BMI is only 20.5 now, won't losing even more weight put you in the underweight category?

JoMalones Sun 20-Mar-16 19:10:21

KP losing 1/2 st will make me well within a healthy bmi, according to the NHS website I could lose another stone and still be within the range. I'm not fussed about losing weight now I'm pregnant but I don't want to put on as much as I did so quickly.

DC1 put on 3st, lost 5st
DC2 put on 5st, lost 3.5st
DC3 (MMC) put on 2st, lost 1.5

So I'm still up on my average as I was at my heaviest when I fell pregnant with DC1 and my normal weight is that when I fell pregnant with DC2. I'm a size 10 normally but currently in a 12

KP86 Sun 20-Mar-16 19:31:57

Maintaining gentle exercise, like walking/jogging and using light weights are fine in pregnancy.

I personally continued my group training boot camps which I had been doing for six months prior until I was 18 weeks, albeit with adjusted exercises (minimal weights, not too much jumping around). I couldn't continue past that point as I have sinus issues and was really struggling with my breathing.

SodaChick Tue 22-Mar-16 07:26:04

I was fast heading into ultra fit status...about to continue downhill mountain biking and begin wave skiing but just found out I am about 4/5 weeks pregnant at 40years with mc last year so the question of exercise is
very important to me.

SodaChick Tue 22-Mar-16 07:35:02

after a lot of research I have decided to keep running, cycling, swimming,yoga,cardio and lighter weights but no risky sports with the aim of total weight gain around
9kilos if possible whilst carefully considering my health and baby

WellErrr Tue 22-Mar-16 07:39:29

The general rule when exercising during pregnancy is that you should be able to carry on a normal conversation throughout.

If you're too out of breath to do that then it's too much.

SodaChick Tue 22-Mar-16 08:12:40

yeah that sounds about right...do not do anything to the point of breathlessness and pain/discomfort or an intuitive feeling that you could be putting the pregnancy at risk...I will only run 500m then walk 500m and so on and no more crazy adrenaline cardio...baby needs a peaceful body so will continue with Auryvedic diet adjusted for baby's needs smile

JoMalones Tue 22-Mar-16 10:51:36

I think I will have to cut out running then as I struggle to jog, I either sprint or walk!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now