Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can't fucking sleep - a rant

(31 Posts)
Sgoinneal Sun 20-Mar-16 01:08:21

Just that really, but could rant for days about it.

Restless legs, numb feet, heartburn, and now some horrible cold hats blocking my nose. Turning over is a military grade exercise. Husband snores. Toddler likes to come and join the party usually around four or five am, though he sleeps soundly both before and once he's climbed in.

But I can't fucking sleep. I really want to enjoy this pregnancy, I loved it the first time and this will, all being well, be my last time. I can't wait to meet my baby. But I am so, so tired. I've no energy for looking after the toddler during the day because I'm getting only a few minutes some nights, even when my body is physically exhausted. I honestly feel this is much harder than when I had a newborn, though I realise how quickly those words may come back to haunt me...

I'm currently mainlining Gavuscon, have cooling foot stuff and socks for the feet and calves, dreamgenii pillow to try and get comfy, Please tell me any cures, old wives tales, anything. I will try anything at all. Desperate. thanks thanks

whiteychappers Sun 20-Mar-16 01:47:09

Big hugs flowers I clearly am rubbish at it as I'm awake too!

Kaylaroo123 Sun 20-Mar-16 01:53:25

I have two children and warm baths always helped right before bed and some milk

Sgoinneal Sun 20-Mar-16 02:07:51

Oooh warm bath rather than quick hop in the shower sounds more restful! Taking notes...

...honestly think I would feel 300 times better if I just got a few hours, even a couple, every night. Keep tellin myself it's not permanent!

Lizkmg Sun 20-Mar-16 06:21:58

How far along are you? I'm 40+3 now and have struggled to sleep well for about the last 8 weeks. It's a killer but a million times easier after you I started mat leave.

Gaviscon is a life saver, I can't imagine the pain is have gone through without it.

No great tips from me I'm afraid, apart from the warm bath one as well, and sometimes I find I can drop off watching TV more easily than in dark silence, especially with a cold where my own sniffling keeps me awake more.

Sgoinneal Sun 20-Mar-16 10:45:48

I'm 30w and desperate to stop work but I've got a few weeks to go. Funnily enough I did crash out for an hour and a half in front of the tv at some ungodly hour last night. Better than nothing!

socktastic Sun 20-Mar-16 11:32:07

I had a moan about this yesterday, for all the same reasons! I used to love bed times. Now I know they're just utter shit cos I cannot drop off!

Kaylaroo123 Sun 20-Mar-16 13:54:20

Lol wait until you deliver bedtime will be everytime the baby is asleep question for everyone can you see one or two lines

Wait4nothing Sun 20-Mar-16 14:25:12

I'm 34 weeks and sleep better in the day than at night - doesn't help that I'm at work but spent most of yesterday asleep! My tricks are dull YouTube videos (find I can drift off better with talking), sleeping away from dh when it's really bad (lucky to have a spare bed) and pillow positions (need one front and back when lying on side - finding memory foam ones better for support atm (though pillow choice has changed a lot over my pregnancy!)

Sgoinneal Sun 20-Mar-16 15:03:28

It's dc2 kaylaroo, so I know just what you mean - but quite looking forward to getting some very irregular but actual bits of sleep! V faint second line on your tests - wait a couple of days (easy said) and test again smile. My pregnancy started off as a very faint line too.

Thanks wait4nothing - I definitely think some kind of background noise will help, need an adult equivalent of Ewan the Dream Sheep I think...

HappyInL0nd0n Sun 20-Mar-16 15:40:21

You poor thing. flowers Not easy.

I'm 38 weeks now, but I've had all the symptoms you describe minus the heartburn since 6 weeks.

It's really hard. I tried really winding down before bedtime (no screen time for the last 30 mins, try to read something instead), eating a banana before bed (apparently good for restless legs) and staying up as late as I could to try and ensure I dropped off quickly, but nothing worked consistently.

Just keep reminding yourself you're only a few hours of consecutive sleep away from full mental health, have a cry when you can and take a day off work to recharge and recover if things are getting on top of you.

Good luck.

Sgoinneal Sun 20-Mar-16 18:17:46

Oh god, Happy, how have you done that for all those weeks? Mine kicked in about twenty weeks and I already feel like I'm at the edge of my wits. Good advice though and I will try the banana! I genuinely do feel I would feel pretty well if I could even get a few hours a night.

Arborea Sun 20-Mar-16 19:53:13

Could you head to bed at the same time (ish) as your toddler, even for just a night or 2? Or (if toddler still naps) have a daytime nap? It might just take the edge off? Sincere sympathies though, I wasn't blessed with a sleeper last time, but now I'm expecting no 2 I'm apprehensive about going through the really poor sleeps!

Sgoinneal Sun 20-Mar-16 20:36:23

I can get a daytime nap at weekends, when DH is here, but I'm still working the rest of the time sad. It has helped today. can't even blame the toddler, unfortunately! But an earlier night might be an idea, I've been trying not go to bed til I'm 'properly tired' but that's not working.

Sgoinneal Sun 20-Mar-16 20:37:01

Armed with a banana and hot milk for later. Almost sounds rude.

Osirus Sun 20-Mar-16 22:19:10

I'm 27 weeks and really struggling to sleep already. Turning over is undertaken with lots of sighing and puffing and my legs feel like deadweights by the morning. Got a way to go yet!

Sgoinneal Sun 20-Mar-16 22:56:47

That's exactly it Osirus, precisely. Mine just seems to be getting worse and I'm at the end of my tether. I have eaten my banana and had my milk - so it's bed with radio low in my headphones and my comfy pillow. Will be deliriously grateful for a few hours' kip.

Sorebigtoes Mon 21-Mar-16 07:24:10

My worst insomnia and eestless legs were when I had low iron. Now 40wks but I'm sleeping much better after a course of iron tablets... Also recommend a hot bath and banana.

Suzietwo Mon 21-Mar-16 07:40:01

The only way our house works when I'm pregnant is by sleeping separately. The bloke moves to the spare room as soon as I start the heavy breathing and will stay there until the baby leaves my room at about 6 weeks.

He then gets a proper nights sleep and gets up with the kids in the morning, giving me the opportunity to have a slightly slower morning.

We also go to bed between 8.30 and 9.30 most evenings.

Doesn't help insomnia but does make the most of the hours rest we each get. I really hate being pregnant

Suzietwo Mon 21-Mar-16 07:40:53

Oh and subsequent pregnancies and babies just aren't the same as your first!

elevenweekstogo Mon 21-Mar-16 07:46:51

Yeah same here OP. Last night baby was wriggling and rolling up a storm, my pelvis is aching, my toddler was grinding his spine down my spine or head butting my neck bone (nobble at top of spine) then there's the patting, pat my face, my hair my neck.....yes yes DS, I'm still here.

Honestly, my back feels like a fecking xylophone. I whispered that I was so uncomfortable and DH said "yeah, me too...." Really?? Reeeeeaally? I doubt it.

EDisFunny Mon 21-Mar-16 07:47:30

I had a blocked nose throughout both my pregnancies and had to sleep with my head propped up. Towards the end, the only sleep I could get was in a recliner chair.

SweepTheHalls Mon 21-Mar-16 07:51:43

I gave up and got a kindle paperwhite do at least when I couldn't sleep I read and relaxed that way. It often took only an hour or two to drop off to sleep again that way! I was so pleased once DD was born as I got sooooo much more sleep with a newborn than being pregnant!

Sgoinneal Mon 21-Mar-16 10:23:47

Got a little more sleep than normal last night, but still only a couple of hours. I almost think my body clock has just shifted now - preparing for baby maybe!
Sleeping separately is going to have to happen - absolutely. I like the idea of reading too but I worry I would literally just read all night (although I'm eyeing up a Paperwhite now...)

Sgoinneal Mon 21-Mar-16 10:24:26

elevenweeks I've given my h a swift elbow to the ribs for far, far less!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now