Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Addicted to Scans

(7 Posts)
Alice1983 Fri 18-Mar-16 18:39:29

Hi....I know this sounds really random but I feel like im addicted to Private Scans. Im by no means rich to pay for them willy nilly grin but I had a MC last year so a little bit worried even though Im now 20 weeks now. I am also not the healthiest pregnant person even though i try which i think is making me more worried..anyone else? They just seem to reassure me....i feel like i cant go 2 weeks without a scan...

BrexitentialCrisis Fri 18-Mar-16 18:52:04

I know exactly what you mean. I've got 2 dc and remember those early weeks as such a nervous, weird time. I found that once I had a bump and could feel movements, I didn't feel so anxious anymore. I think I wanted extra scans just to prove to myself it wasn't all a massive hoax! Hope you are feeling well and try not to worry thanks

Alice1983 Fri 18-Mar-16 18:56:51

Thanks for replying Brexi. I have a Bump but no movements yet (some weird twinges but cant confirm them to be movements- might just be gas or intestines, not quite sure yet) i just feel like they must think Im a loon. I wish I could know they were movements

FuzzyOwl Fri 18-Mar-16 19:02:26

Sorry to hear about your MC and whilst I was the complete opposite with scans following my mmc, I completely understand the need for frequent reassurance in pregnancy and if it helps you then go for it. I hope you feel healthier in the last half of your pregnancy and start feeling movements soon.

pigeonpoo Fri 18-Mar-16 19:06:04

You'll be feeling the baby soon enough.

They haven't been proven unsafe but they've also not been proven safe for multiple uses for non medical purposes. Of course it's your choice but I wouldn't use them for reassurance so frequently, especially as it doesn't sound like it's actually reassuring you and perhaps it's making your anxiety worse if you're having so many.

Even if there was a problem - nothing would be done till 23 weeks, so you won't stop anything from happening by having scans.

I can almost promise that by 23 weeks you'll be feeling movements and sure of them.

Alice1983 Fri 18-Mar-16 20:03:27

Thank you for the replies. Whe would nothing be done until 23 weeks? I didnt know that?

FuzzyOwl Fri 18-Mar-16 20:23:37

If there was a problem, it would not wait until a specific timeframe and would be dealt with as quickly as possible. Whilst we don't typically have many scans on the NHS in this country, other women have them far more frequently and there are no known dangers for you to worry about.

Also, if you don't feel your baby at 23 weeks then don't worry. I had an anterior placenta (quite normal and safe to have) so didn't feel movements for a lot longer and even then, I could go a few days without feeling anything right up until I gave birth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now