Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Concerned about size of bump

(17 Posts)
Allthingsnice83 Fri 18-Mar-16 15:28:20

I'm currently 30 weeks pregnant and my bump is small. I measured on track at this stage in my previous pregnancy but I'm measuring small this time.

My bump was measured twice at my midwife appointment by 2 different midwives. It was measured at 26cm by one of them and 28cm by the other.

My previous child weighed 6lbs 2oz when they were born and I'm just worried that my bump is smaller this time when I would have expected it to be bigger, if anything.

The midwife didn't express concern but to be honest, I'm not overly impressed by her and her competence. I've always been very happy with the medical staff I've dealt with in the past but I don't have many good things to say about her.

Does anyone have experience of measuring small and what the outcome was?

Sorry for the long post.

fluffypenguinbelly Fri 18-Mar-16 15:36:54

I had a small bump for ages. I was still wearing gym clothes with nobody any the wiser at 22 weeks.

I am now the size of a small country. Just hovering underneath the top line.

I am carrying this baby completely differently. Placenta at back for a start. Apparently I have masses of fluid this time and was told at a private growth scan that I will flood whenever they decide to go!

Perhaps you are just carrying this one differently? Saying that I did have a private growth scan just for reassurance this time. Didn't need one last time as had extra scans on the NHS due to low lying placenta.

Allthingsnice83 Fri 18-Mar-16 15:39:13

This is my bump, if this helps.

AliceThrewTheFookingGlass Fri 18-Mar-16 15:41:10

I had a very small bump during my first pregnancy but my fundal height measured spot on each time.

In my second pregnancy my bump was still quite small and my fundal height was measuring 2 weeks behind. I was sent for growth scans but the midwives weren't worried at all. The scans showed he was measuring perfectly and he came out 6lb 7oz.

Those measurements aren't exact, even just the baby's positioning can throw the measurements off slightly.

Allthingsnice83 Fri 18-Mar-16 15:42:16

Thank you fluffy penguin. Hopefully you're right and I'm just carrying differently. Fingers crossed. I think I'm just worried that with DC2 being fairly little at term, I'm hoping that this little one is no smaller. Obviously the main thing is that their healthy and hopefully they'll be a healthy weight. Thanks for your reply.

Allthingsnice83 Fri 18-Mar-16 15:42:31

Sorry, that should say DC1

fluffypenguinbelly Fri 18-Mar-16 15:46:06

If you can afford a private growth scan then perhaps it might be worth it? Maybe wait a few more weeks. I had one at 34 weeks purely because I am quite an anxious person anyway and I just wanted piece of mind. I paid £99.

StrawberryQuik Fri 18-Mar-16 15:52:45

What's your build like? I was slim to start off with and then threw up for 5 months, my bump has been measuring small for dates for about a month now, it is growing, just slowly (am 33cm at 36 weeks)I got sent off for a growth scan and the baby is average size, I have normal waters and placenta too...I just haven't put on any fat.

I've not worried about my small size because I have the world wriggliest baby so I feel like he's OK in there but it might be worth getting a private scan for peace of mind especially if you don't feel that confident with your midwife.

kiki22 Fri 18-Mar-16 16:38:52

I wouldn't worry I had a massive bump with my first everyone said that he would be huge and was only 7lbs 3oz 8 days over due, this time I'm much smaller than I was at this stage last time but at the last scan baby is the right size. I don't think bump size and baby size are always the same.

Allthingsnice83 Fri 18-Mar-16 16:58:48

Thanks for the feedback.

My previous build was average height, slim build, size 10 roughly. I've so far gained 17lbs which I think is quite normal. Even a doctor was in shock the other day after me saying how far along I am. I think maybe a private growth scan might help. I'm just worried because I don't feel like my bump has grown in the last month. Hopefully I'm wrong and by the next appointment I'll measure bigger.

Allthingsnice83 Fri 18-Mar-16 19:19:33

Just realised I've got this pic of me at 22 weeks. Doesn't seem much of a difference for 8 weeks confused

Allthingsnice83 Fri 18-Mar-16 20:46:21

Google is a terrible thing, now I'm worrying myself that the bump may have stopped growing! Still feeling plenty of movement. Someone please tell me I'm being ridiculous!! sad

badg3r Fri 18-Mar-16 20:50:41

Bump size doesn't mean very much at all. If you can feel lots of movement and the midwife is happy then I'm sure you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Some people look enormous and gave tiny babies. Some people look tiny and have enormous babies. You will find out in ten weeks if you are one of them!!

badg3r Fri 18-Mar-16 20:58:24

Also in the second photo tour bump comes out as far as your boobs but in the first one it comes out much further so it does look bigger to me!!

AliceThrewTheFookingGlass Fri 18-Mar-16 21:13:27

My bump with dc2 grew quite rapidly for the first half of pregnancy. I always remain quite small anyway but At 20 weeks I was easily the size I was at 30w with DC, if not bigger. From 20-30 weeks it levelled off somewhat. It was about 32+ weeks when the bump really grew. I never got huge though and in fact I wasn't that much bigger when I gave birth than you are in your first photo.

Honestly midwives like to cover their arses. When people sue for anything possible they have to. They have procedures they have to follow and I can assure you that if your growth and measurements were out of the normal range they would have referred you to a consultant for a growth scan.

Try to relax smile

Allthingsnice83 Fri 18-Mar-16 21:24:37

Thank you so much for the replies!

I think you're right that I am bigger in the 1st photo but I realise what you mean about where my bump is sticking out too and I fact, that's an underwear issue. Wearing one of those silly, no underwire or padding crop tops but having seen the photo from 22 weeks and knowing how I look in the flesh, the difference really is minimal.

Alice your post has been very reassuring. Hopefully this pregnancy is just similar to what you've described happened in your pregnancy! I can honestly say, I never thought that I would be worrying myself about not getting that big! If you'd asked me 6 months ago I'd have probably said I'd have loved to not get huge! I think we like to give ourselves reasons to panic, don't we!!

Thanks for the advice and reassurance.

Allthingsnice83 Fri 18-Mar-16 21:25:43

Apologies for the typos 😬

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now