Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Braxton hicks?

(13 Posts)
mamabear25 Fri 18-Mar-16 13:30:20

Hi I am 23 weeks pregnant and lately have started getting period like cramps in my left side of my belly and lower back. I thought it was braxton hicks but a friend who recently gave birth said it could be a uti? Anybody any clues? Would appreciate the help. smile

DropYourSword Fri 18-Mar-16 13:32:25

She's right, it could be. Braxton Hicks are usually painless, especially early on. Might be a good idea to get tested. When's your next midwife appt?

mamabear25 Fri 18-Mar-16 13:35:47

Well I've to make a doc app at 25 weeks. Don't think I'm seeing my midwife until May. Just feel like I'm in the middle of my period. It's very strange. hmm

DropYourSword Fri 18-Mar-16 13:37:51

May?? Are you in the UK? Or do you have a private obstetrician? If not that seems like a ridiculously long time to wait for a check up!
Do you have any other symptoms of a UTI, pain on urination, needing to go frequently (well, more than you used to have to in pregnancy) etc.

outputgap Fri 18-Mar-16 13:45:05

You could ask to see your practice nurse to check for a uti. They are usually much easier to get an appointment with than a GP. If you explain that you're pregnant to reception that might help too.

mamabear25 Fri 18-Mar-16 13:45:10

Yea I'm in the UK. I honestly don't recall anyone telling me to make appts with midwives. I know I've a doc app in 2 weeks and check up 3/5/16 I have no pain when urinating. I do pee an awful lot but I can't really say if I do more than I should. blush

mamabear25 Fri 18-Mar-16 13:46:06

Yes I think I'll do that today. Better to be safe than sorry. smile

mamabear25 Fri 18-Mar-16 21:33:15

Went to docs and don't have a uti. Have ppl telling me it's just the uterus contracting. confused

FatimaLovesBread Fri 18-Mar-16 21:36:35

May is a long gap in midwife appointments, is it your first? I'd have thought you should have one at 24 and 28 weeks or similar. Have you had an appointment to get your mat b1 form from the midwife?

mamabear25 Sat 19-Mar-16 01:31:29

No I haven't had any midwife appts yet. Jus have to make a docs appt at 25 weeks. Could it be contracting uterus?

FatimaLovesBread Sat 19-Mar-16 03:29:41

You've had no midwife appointments at all? What about your scans?have you had them, who made those appointments?

You normally have a midwife booking in appointment around 10 weeks who does your first bloods and books your scan, another midwife appointment at 16 weeks and possibly another around 20 weeks after your second scan. You'd then need repeat bloods at 28 weeks confused

I haven't seen a GP at all this pregnancy, rang the surgery at 6 weeks and they refer you straight to the midwife

FatimaLovesBread Sat 19-Mar-16 03:31:44

Have you got your book of pregnancy notes? (Mine are pink but it's different in different areas). You should get these at booking in and they tell you when you should have each midwife appointment

HD18 Sat 19-Mar-16 06:40:48

I've been having braxton hicks that I could feel from around 24 weeks, I'm now 28 weeks and they get more painful....seem to be brought on by walking. I was told by the sonographer at my 20 week scan that I was having one during it but didn't feel them that early on and have had it confirmed by my midwife. She said its nothing to worry about and is quite common in pregnancy but if they become more frequent and painful to pop in for monitoring to be in the safe side

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now