Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Nuchal measurement 3mm - anyone else?

(23 Posts)
PurplePotatoes Fri 18-Mar-16 08:21:02

I had my 12 week scan yesterday and they put me forward from 12+4 (dated from early scan) to 13+1. I'm 36yrs old.

Nothing at all was said at the scan about the nuchal measurement / no mention of nasal bone etc but when I got home I saw he had put 3mm which I believe is the high end of normal??

Did anyone else have a reading this high and get low risk results? I know it doesn't mean much in relation to my situation but it might make me feel better!

The baby wasn't moving at all in either of my scans which is worrying me too that something is wrong sad

AveEldon Fri 18-Mar-16 20:08:15

Have you had blood tests taken too?

halloweensquish Fri 18-Mar-16 20:13:02

I'm the same age and I had a measurement of 3.1 - this is my second pregnancy and combined with my bloods I got a 1:370 chance of Down's......the risk was a bit high for me so I did the harmony blood test and got an all clear from them smile I think you need to wait until you get your blood results back and anything under 3.5 is considered normal range

SummerMonths Fri 18-Mar-16 20:18:47

Two of my babies had 3mm nuchals. It is quite high. With one 3mm baby I had a combined bloods risk of 1:69 the other was 1:10. With both I went on to have private scans and the Harmony tests at the Fetal Medicine Centre in London. Those tests were reassuring and both were born with no problems at all. I will never know why they had thick nuchal folds. I hope the same is true of your little one.

PurplePotatoes Fri 18-Mar-16 20:30:35

Thank you all.

Yes I had the bloods so it's just a waiting game now to hear the results.

I think we've decided that we'd have the Harmony test as well rather than CVS/amnio. The private clinic where we had an early scan does it.

My DD (2) came back as 1:80,000 so naively it didn't even occur to me it would be anything to worry about this time. Hopefully it won't be.

KittyandTeal Fri 18-Mar-16 20:35:13

It is the higher end of normal. It will probably bump your risk factor up, especially with your age (I'm not saying your old it just the risk factor automatically jumps around 35)

It's hard to say either way with such little information. Lack of movement/lower levels of movement can be a soft marker for a trisomy, however, it could also mean nothing.

If you are high risk you should hear within 48 hours, the hospital screening midwife will give you a call and go through the options with you. I'd say if you've not heard by Tuesday then you're probably not classed as high risk.

Fingers crossed for you.

whiteychappers Sat 19-Mar-16 08:17:44

When I had my scan yesterday, the midwife said that anything above 3mm is a concern however its all combined with all the other risk factors and your blood test so on its own its not an indicator of anything. Fingers crossed for you, she did say they notify you by telephone within 48 hours if its high risk otherwise you just get a letter through the post.

whiteychappers Sat 19-Mar-16 08:26:17

Oh and don't be alarmed by baby not moving much, my little toad would not wake up for anything. They had me doing star jumps and jumping up and down, still wouldn't move or wake up. In the end had to have an internal scan for them to do the measurements and that woke it up enough but after 10 secs rolled back over and went to sleep. Maybe u just have a laid back bubbers x

PurplePotatoes Sat 19-Mar-16 08:52:07

Thanks so much Kitty and Whitey. That's all really useful to hear.

Nothing was mentioned at all at my scan so it's my silly fault for googling and not just waiting for the results.

Yes the baby did move a bit actually when they got me to cough a couple of times so probably just having a nap!

zippyswife Sat 19-Mar-16 09:14:04

With ds2 I had 2.9mm. Combined with age at the time and bloods gave me a 1:151 risk of downs. My hospital considered anything under 3.5mm to be normal and over 1:150 to be low risk.

I didn't do any further tests although I did worry a bit during the pregnancy. Ds2 is 4 now and completely fine.

With your dates being later 13 weeks my understand is that it would be larger anyway than if you'd have been measured at 11 weeks.

PurplePotatoes Sat 19-Mar-16 13:36:33

Oh thanks for that zippy, I didn't know that the reading is expected to be slightly higher the further on you are.

Great news that all was well with your DS..

zippyswife Sat 19-Mar-16 17:12:14

I know it's easier said than done but try not to worry. flowers

ShowOfHands Sat 19-Mar-16 17:18:38

Nuchal fold is def thicker later on. Mine was 3mm at 13+4 and combined result was 1 in 156 which is low risk. I didn't give it a second thought.

Our hospital considers under 3.4mm normal with wider folds expected nearer 14 weeks than at 11-12 weeks.

SummerMonths Sat 19-Mar-16 17:36:30

It's basically down to the length of the baby. If the baby is long (likely to be longer at 13 weeks) then the nuchal fold can be thicker without a bad risk rating. My babies were short and fat hence my high ratings!

PurplePotatoes Sun 20-Mar-16 16:01:31

Thank you both, that is reassuring.
As soon my DD was born they commented how long she was, so maybe it's another long 'un!

PurplePotatoes Wed 23-Mar-16 21:43:56

Just thought I would update.

Got the phonecall today.

High risk for Down Syndrome. 1 in 20.

sad

Going to book NIPT tomorrow.

Grizzer Wed 23-Mar-16 21:56:05

Hi Purple, I was given 1:2 chance of down's for dd & 1:25 for ds a few years later. Neither have anything wrong with them. Had a cvs for dd as it was 6 years ago but had the DNA blood test for ds (he's 12 weeks). Blood test brought result down to 1:120. Sometimes the results are high for no apparent reason. Hope it's ok for you.

zippyswife Wed 23-Mar-16 21:58:33

1 in 20 is still 95% chance everything is fine!! But of course it's natural to be worried. Your late date may have skewed it?

Will you have the harmony blood test?

Thinking of you.

TheMightyMing Wed 23-Mar-16 21:59:01

No advice but fingers crossed all is well and it's all a false alarm x

MyKingdomForBrie Wed 23-Mar-16 22:01:23

As Zippy said think of it in percentage terms, it's only a 5% chance of an issue. You will know for sure following the harmony test.

PurplePotatoes Wed 23-Mar-16 22:11:06

Thank you all and that is good to hear Grizzer.

We are going to book the Harmony test at the private clinic we went for an early scan. I think there are a few different ones so need to look into them. There is one called Iona which seems to be used by the NHS in some places.

primarynoodle Wed 23-Mar-16 22:18:29

Hi purple,

My nuchal was 3.5mm at 12 weeks and risj was 1:13. I had an amnio at 16 weeks which came back clear then my 20 week scan which also came back clear.

Im now 24 weeks and just had another scan and again, all looks fine...

Its a horrendous waiting game but the odds are in your favour (even though it massively doesn't feel like that!). Do you know what your bloods were?

PurplePotatoes Wed 23-Mar-16 22:34:34

Hi primary

Thanks that's good to hear too, I'm really glad all is looking good for you.

BHCG was 3.57

PAPP-A was 1.19 which she said was not typical of DS but who knows.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now