Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

ate medium rare steak

(8 Posts)
user1455661447 Thu 17-Mar-16 22:23:43

I had a dinner with work colleagues tonight and we went to a steak restaurant. Nobody knows I'm pregnant as I'm only 7 weeks. It was hard enough nursing one glass of wine that I couldn't say anything about the steak without drawing attention to myself! But now I'm worrying I might have put my baby at risk. Do I need to worry?

VocationalGoat Thu 17-Mar-16 22:25:38

You do not need to worry. Your baby will be fine. All that good iron is just what your body needs. Honestly, don't sweat it at all.
flowers

HappyInL0nd0n Thu 17-Mar-16 22:33:23

^

What VocationalGoat said.

donajimena Thu 17-Mar-16 22:35:49

I wouldn't give it another thought. Its only rare mince that you should worry about as the outer of the meat is mixed into the mince. With a steak the outside is cooked.

skankingpiglet Fri 18-Mar-16 08:13:18

^^ What the above posters have said.

I've eaten a fair few steaks in each pregnancy as it's been something I've craved. I refuse to cremate a good steak but am willing to compromise with medium rare. I have a strapping 21mo DD, and am 25wks with what feels like a similarly energetic baby. I wouldn't eat an undercooked burger, but steak is fine IMO as all the bits the air can get/has got to has been cooked. Rightly or wrongly I'm not worried about Toxoplasmosis. We have a cat, and I'm a carpenter and keen gardener. If I haven't had it yet, I can't see it happening.

Chattymummyhere Fri 18-Mar-16 11:50:09

I wouldn't worry about it a lot of restaurant steaks will of been frozen at some point during transit. I refuse to ruin a good steak and have eaten rare though all my pregnancies.

novemberchild Fri 18-Mar-16 15:11:22

Your worrying would be a worse thing! ;)

Nothing will happen.

seven201 Fri 18-Mar-16 15:27:28

I used to eat rare steaks but have swapped to medium rare due to pregnancy. For things like burgers it matters as the bacteria lives on the outside so it gets cooked off from a steak.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now