Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

has anyone been sick at their 12 scan?

(16 Posts)
whiteychappers Thu 17-Mar-16 16:50:56

I'm still struggling with puking and have trouble controlling it.

I have my 12 week scan tomorrow and I cant help worrying about puking in front of everyone waiting for my scan. So stupid I know the things I worry about!

cluelessfirsttimer1 Thu 17-Mar-16 17:02:45

Hi!! I puked in the car park after mine then waited to get some air so went for a little walk down the street to get a drink and was sick in the main road too. The boyfriend was a little embarrassed but then he laughed after. Why don't you take a sick bag with you on your way there and call the hospital prior to see if they can get you one of those cardboard sick things for the waiting room. If it's gonna happen, unfortunately it's beyond your control. Or just maybe lock yourself in the toilet (Our toilets are just one big one rather than cubicles) with a bottle of water and get whoever is there to bang on the door when they shout your name and come out. At least then u r only away from a toilet for the minimum time and take your sick bowl into the scan room with you. Don't stress cos thinking about it more is more likely to make u sick. They will have seen a hell of a lot worse there. Just try get something to be sick in

Whatdoidohelp Thu 17-Mar-16 17:21:07

Wait outside where you feel safe or in a loo and send your partner in to get you a cardboard hat sick bowl.

If you spew don't worry. You won't be the first! My friend peed herself at 12 weeks scan from a cough/choke that went wrong. The sonography and assistant barely flinched.

LBOCS2 Thu 17-Mar-16 17:31:10

Nope, but I was on my way to my 36 week appointment today and I had loaded toddler DD into the car and had to stop and throw up on the road as I suddenly felt extremely ill - I had a migraine. A bit embarrassing (and I was LATE!) but I explained and they were lovely. Honestly, it's all part of the joyous experience.

If you're having problems with public vomiting, it's easier if you take a roll of nappy sacks around with you - it 'contains' it and makes it more easily disposable...

Good luck smile

Titsalinabumsquash Thu 17-Mar-16 17:32:35

Yes! I threw up in the hedges outside the antenatal unit blush I got DP to wait inside for when they called me in.

Chinks123 Thu 17-Mar-16 17:37:52

You won't be the first or last its normal no one will bat an eyelid unless you're sick on them! I got sick once in my whole pregnancy, and that one time I just made it to my parents house and was sick app outside, all the neighbours out watching as i spewed (very loudly) all over the path and tried and failed to get it in the wheelie bin.

Artioo2 Thu 17-Mar-16 18:28:45

They will be very used to nauseous women. Scope out where the loos are as you go in and ask for one of the cardboard bowls they have, you could put it in your bag if you don't want it to be obvious.

Floralnomad Thu 17-Mar-16 18:33:28

I was sick several times every day during my first pregnancy , I used to carry about a tissue box that had some plastic bags tucked in with the tissues in case I got caught short somewhere without a bathroom , it got to the point that I went nowhere without my box . It's when you start randomly fainting that the real embarrassment begins .

Chocolatebunny1 Thu 17-Mar-16 18:43:21

Yes a couple of times during the scan they actually stopped for a bit and did it again at the 20 week scanblush. I did have hg though a bit of an excuse

twopinkkittens Thu 17-Mar-16 19:33:20

Please don't worry. Take a couple of sick bags with you and a bottle of water. My sickness ended at 22 weeks. I feel your pain!

eurochick Thu 17-Mar-16 19:35:40

No but I had to nibble dry biscuits at my booking appointment to hold back the nausea. I'm sure they've seen it all before.

seeyouinthetreehouse Thu 17-Mar-16 19:37:44

Probably really selfish but if you are sick in the waiting room it would be kind if you or your DP just explained to anyone sat nearby that its pregnancy sickness and not a bug. I'm emetophobic and someone being sick next to me when pregnant would be enough to send me into a full panic attack. See, I told you I sound very selfish! Hope you are okay OP.

ThePowerOfCake Thu 17-Mar-16 21:55:51

I wasn't sick during the scan, but had taken my sick bags and tissues just in case! I found eating sweets could hold it off for a little while so sat munching away while I was waiting. I'm sure you won't be the first or the last if you do!

CamembertQueen Fri 18-Mar-16 00:17:34

I had Hyperemesis and took sick bags, went and sat in the toilet until they called me. They then give me a sick tray. They don't bat an eyelid.

princesspineapple Fri 18-Mar-16 05:54:29

I was sick at my 20 week scan... We had to stop 3 times for little cardboard hats blush
Everyone was lovely though, very sympathetic, they've seen it all before smile
Hope your scan goes well smile

whiteychappers Fri 18-Mar-16 08:31:02

Thanks ladies xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now