Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnant and shell shocked

(8 Posts)
LadyFarnborough Wed 16-Mar-16 22:08:11

New member here, need some help with getting my head round things.

I've done a clear blue digital today which came up as 1-2 weeks pregnant. I have quite irregular periods, last one started on 23 Jan. However I had a positive OPK on 1 March. So by my calculations that gives me a due date of around 22 Nov, would you say that was correct?

Is it normal to feel so numb and in shock? This wasn't unplanned, although perhaps not entirely planned for right now. Timing is lousy if I'm honest but we have both agreed there will never be a perfect time. Age is against me too so if I waited another year then things could well be harder. Both of us are struggling to get our heads round it even though we had discussed things at length before I came off the pill. I was utterly convinced I wouldn't fall pregnant easily or naturally and seems my conviction had rubbed off on my partner too!

FuzzyOwl Wed 16-Mar-16 22:12:31

Congratulations and hopefully once the numbness and shock (perfectly normal) wears off, you will feel better about things. You usually ovulate a day or two after a positive opk, so your EDD might be 23 or 24 November, but I think your guess is around the right date.

LadyFarnborough Wed 16-Mar-16 22:18:12

Thank you. And is it normal to feel so..well, normal?! I don't have one single sign or symptom. Apart from being a bit emotional but that could be the shock.

Pinkheart5915 Wed 16-Mar-16 22:20:10

Congratulations.

It is normal to feel numbness and shocked even when it's planned there is a certain element of this as it becomes real. It does wear off and the excitement starts.

You need to start taking folic acid, if you aren't already.

Go and see your GP, for a midwife referral.

I think your date guess should be around correct.

Pinkheart5915 Wed 16-Mar-16 22:22:05

I have a ds and hard hardly any symptoms with him.

My current pregnancy was fine until 13 weeks then got awful sickness but that is so much better now at 17 weeks. Also sore boobs.

seeyouinthetreehouse Wed 16-Mar-16 22:24:07

This sounds very normal to me OP. Congratulations, by the way. I was you a couple of months ago, wasn't on the pill, but didn't really think it would happen, certainly not quickly. DH was away with work on and off for months and we genuinely only had sex once, so when I did a test just on a whim, went out for dinner and came back to see a line as I chucked it in the bin I was surprised by how shocked I was. I veered from disappointment, to excitement, to fear, disbelief and a lot, I mean a lot, of sheer nothingness, just not really being able to compute or accept it. Anyway, I'm 12 weeks tomorrow and I paid for an early scan at 8 weeks where I saw the heartbeat and heard it too. It made me feel a lot more connected to the pregnancy and I now feel pretty excited and very happy. I'm sure you will come round as it sinks in, it's a big deal whether planned or not. You are definitely not alone in feeling numb about it. Congrats again.

LadyFarnborough Wed 16-Mar-16 22:25:08

I've started the folic acid today. Did start when I came off the pill but got a bit lax with it. And I've booked a Dr appointment for next week.

Thank you for the reassurance. It helps smile

FuzzyOwl Wed 16-Mar-16 22:42:50

And yes, feeling normal is perfectly normal. smile I am a couple of weeks ahead of you pregnancy wise and only started to feel mild nausea yesterday. Otherwise cramps, headaches, heartburn and a bit dizzy but nothing that couldn't easily be explained away by something else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now