Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Just been told I'm being induced next Tuesday...

(135 Posts)
Champagneformyrealfriends Tue 15-Mar-16 19:48:56

and I'm really scared! I feel completely unprepared. DH is so excited and I just feel like the rugs been pulled from under my feet!

Stuffofawesome Tue 15-Mar-16 19:52:19

You don't have to if you don't want to.

Heirhelp Tue 15-Mar-16 19:53:56

They can only offer you induction. It is your choice.

Flisspaps Tue 15-Mar-16 19:55:16

'Told'? Do you/baby have a medical condition which precludes spontaneous labour or CS?

Champagneformyrealfriends Tue 15-Mar-16 19:57:36

I have preeclampsia and my protein has doubled so they've said its safest for us both! I didnt think about refusing - I'm in and out of hospital and every time my blood pressure is higher and higher. What's CS? sad

Champagneformyrealfriends Tue 15-Mar-16 19:58:28

To be fair the doctor did just tell me I was being induced! It hadn't occurred to me that she'd not told me it's optional.

Imnotacelebgetmeouttahere Tue 15-Mar-16 20:02:27

Preeclampsia is very serious and the only "cute" is delivery so I think the doctor would only recommend it if they felt it's necessary! How many weeks are you? smile

Champagneformyrealfriends Tue 15-Mar-16 20:04:00

36+1. I'll be 37+1 next Tuesday. I honestly thought I had weeks left to prepare too! shock

unimaginative13 Tue 15-Mar-16 20:20:40

I wouldn't be declining it for pre eclampsia!

Good luck OP! Take lots of snacks, magazines and stuff to watch on iPad. Induction can be boring xxx

Flisspaps Tue 15-Mar-16 20:26:19

CS = Caesarean section.

I'm very keen on letting women know induction is a choice, and there are other options - but for pre-eclampsia there really aren't any options other than to give birth as quickly as possible!

Hope all goes well smile

Champagneformyrealfriends Tue 15-Mar-16 20:35:25

Thank you all smile

Flisspaps - I think that's possibly the best username I've ever seen grin

Imnotacelebgetmeouttahere Tue 15-Mar-16 20:37:04

Term then - that's a good gestation smile better get packing those bags!

Shirkingfromhome Tue 15-Mar-16 20:40:54

Don't panic at the thought of being induced. I'm sure you've read lots of stories about how awful and painful it was but if it helps you at all, I was induced and it was fine.

You'll be fine.

sandylion Tue 15-Mar-16 20:44:56

Please don't be scared. I know how you are feeling and I wish I hadn't Googled so much and worried so much. I had to be induced twice and honestly it was fine. I never got as far as the drip as the pessary worked with number 1 and they broke my waters with number 2. Try to be active when the pessary is in and hopefully it will do the trick. Don't be shy asking for pain relief! Oh and my other top tip is try to give birth on your knees if possible. No way was I getting those babies out on my back.

Imnotacelebgetmeouttahere Tue 15-Mar-16 20:51:33

Oh yes - should of said...I was induced with 3 of mine and it really was ok! I have precipitous labours which helps but induction was fine smile

Champagneformyrealfriends Tue 15-Mar-16 21:04:58

Thank you all! I'm avoiding Google like the plague! flowers

kamillaw Tue 15-Mar-16 21:07:40

My first was born naturally at 36+1 due to pre eclampsia she was absolutely fine labour was good. Good luck!

bippitybopityboo Tue 15-Mar-16 22:01:40

Awwww champagne! I'd do whatever I was told wpuld be safest for myself and baby too!!
I'm sure all will go well for you and you could have your lovely little one with you very soon this time next week!
Sending you lots of good luck wishes, look after yourself and keep us posted! flowers

Champagneformyrealfriends Tue 15-Mar-16 22:05:32

Thank you kamillaw it makes me feel better to read that! flowers
Thanks bippity flowers I'll post updates smile

sepa Wed 16-Mar-16 05:01:38

I was induced a couple of weeks ago. Mine ended up with a c-section (but I know many who have been induced who didn't)
I would add these to your list just in case -
straws (easier to drink during labour & deffo if c-sec is needed)
Really big pants (sent my sister for size 20 pants.

You will be fine. The outcome is the same if you go to 40 weeks or to 37 weeks

Good luck OP flowers

coffeeinaredmug Wed 16-Mar-16 05:50:35

All three of mine were induced. It was absolutely fine. Don't worry about it. Good luck.

lastnightiwenttomanderley Wed 16-Mar-16 06:08:23

Hi OP.
I went into hospital for tests at 37+4 due to a positive protein dip - fine one week and 3+ the next. My blood tests showed my creatinine was 970 (it should be below 30) and I was told I would be having the baby within the next 24 hrs one way or another.
I completely get the shock factor as I'd literally only just started MAT leave and was looking forward to a few weeks of sorting the house out, relaxing etc.
I was induced that night and DS was born by EMCS at 9:30 the following evening (this was unrelated to the induction - I laboured normally and then after an hour of pushing we realised he just wasn't going to fit. Afterwards his head measured as 95th centile and I'm quite tiny!)
It turned out that I had severe HELLP syndrome which tends to bring pre-eclampsia along for the ride as a freebie.

I had 'planned' a water birth with minimal drugs. My condition meant I had a consultant led delivery but it was mostly midwife managed. I won't lie, women with pre eclampsia do tend to labour 'hard and fast'. I was originally of the opinion that I would have an epidural if strictly necessary. I had one shortly after my waters broke as my contractions were very close together. It was amazing and allowed me time to rest and chatter away with the midwives.

It wasn't at all the birth I'd 'wanted', but it also wasn't a horrible experience at all. DS was perfect and once they got the HELLP under control, I was right as rain.

I'm sure you'll be fine and in a week or so you'll be having gorgeous squishy newborn cuddles!

Champagneformyrealfriends Wed 16-Mar-16 06:30:27

Sepa I've been wondering how you and your little one were-I remember you posting when you were in labour. Thank you-I'll get some big pants and straws today!!

lastnightiwenttomanderley I can't tell you how much better your post has made me feel. I've not slept too well worrying and all my DH will say is "it'll be fine!" (To be fair to him what else can he say!?) I don't feel as worried having read your post.

coffee my mums friend had 1 indiction and 2 natural and she said they weren't that different so I'm clinging on to that and your post! Thank you.

flowers

lastnightiwenttomanderley Wed 16-Mar-16 08:00:49

Glad to be able to reassure you!

I found that when you're PG the actual birth (justifiably!) feels like this massive thing and it has to be all flowers and butterflies. I had no idea what a newborn was like so didn't feel like I could plan for it, whereas labour was something I felt like I knew about in some way. Now I look back on it as one day in my gorgeous little boys life - how he got here is less significant to me.

Funny, as I'm normally a total control freak. Everyone comments on what a relaxed parent I am which is very out of character. I think everything that happened gave me a new perspective on things and I tend to go with the flow a lot more smile

Good luck for Tuesday and let us know how you get on!

ICJump Wed 16-Mar-16 08:07:38

It must be really worring having this over your head. I had a wonderful induced birth. I was scared about the complications but in the end The birth was quite straight forward.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now