Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Braxton Hicks

(9 Posts)
HD18 Tue 15-Mar-16 12:58:24

Hi ladies,

I'm currently 27 weeks and for the past 4-5 weeks have been experiencing what I think is braxton hicks...I wasn't aware this was something that could normally happen until you were nearing the end but while at my 20 week scan the sonographer said I was having one whilst she was scanning the baby (I didn't feel them at the time) I just wanted to see if anyone else has had this and if it definitely is braxton hicks or if it could be just her moving or muscle pain of some sort?? I would say I get it around 2-3 times a week, my bump goes solid and I get a real ache all over my bump where I can't move properly until it passes which is usually anything from 5-10 minutes. TIA xx

Artioo2 Tue 15-Mar-16 17:38:19

Sounds like that's what it is to me. I'm 26 weeks and getting them quite often now, usually set off by walking any distance.

happy2bhomely Tue 15-Mar-16 17:47:50

I didn't have them with my first, but did with subsequent pregnancies. With my 5th baby I had regular braxton hicks from around 12 weeks. Every 15 minutes right the way up until labour! They were more frequent whenever I walked or stood for long periods. They caused me to get palpitations and I sometimes became breathless. I was told to rest if I found it helped. They were never painful, but uncomfortable, like shrink wrap. My midwife told me it was impossible to get them so early, but the consultant just told me I had an irritable uterus and as long as they weren't painful or causing pressure down below then it was fine. Apparently they happen all the time, but some women are more sensitive to them.

HD18 Tue 15-Mar-16 18:05:27

Thanks Ladies, I did call the midwife today and she said it sounded fairly normal and if it started to cause pain down below then to call the hospital so after her call and your posts I feel much better. I heard a theory that women that experience braxton hicks throughout pregnancy are more likely to have quicker labours?? Do you think there's any truth to it?

MollieRos Tue 15-Mar-16 18:58:55

I'm currently 29 weeks and I've been getting braxton hicks since about 17-18 weeks. Often anything between about 6-10 in an hour, though some days it's less than that. My whole bump goes solid and much more rounded, and feels very uncomfy. They got me to go into hospital for monitoring the other week because they were getting more and more frequent, just in case I was going into early labour, but turned out that many is normal for me. They're not painful, but getting more and more uncomfortable as my bump grows, and they're worse the more I move. I was told the same as happy- to rest if they get worse. I tend to get one every time I change position (e.g. stand up or sit down) or if I walk fast or move too quickly. Very annoying but apparently normal!

I like the theory that braxton hicks = fast labour though- that would bode well for me! grin

HD18 Tue 15-Mar-16 19:24:53

MollieRos I couldn't imagine having them that often! I feel for you!** She did say if they seem to get more frequent to go in for monitoring so I will keep an eye over the next week until I see her for my 28 week check up. Haha yes same here about the quick labour thing! First thing I said when I heard it although I'm sure there's no truth in it....

almmummy Tue 15-Mar-16 21:17:45

I had lots of braxton hicks in late pregnancy with my first - my labour was 12 hours all in, nine established hours really though (although I did not know the start of contractions were not the full monty - I see what the midwifes are banging on about now when they try and keep you at home!). Not bad for a first really - I think I had a long latent phase as regular painless contractions were being registered every few minutes for a couple of days when I went in for monitoring.

I've been having them loads this time around from very early - around 18 weeks. Scared he is going to shoot out! Which of course would be ok in a hospital setting, maybe not so much on a Tesco shop...

happy2bhomely Tue 15-Mar-16 22:32:10

Maybe there is some truth to the quicker labours thing. Mine were...

Baby 1, 42 weeks, 8lb13, 12 hrs
Baby 2, 40 weeks, 9lb7, 5 hrs
Baby 3, 40 weeks, 7lb15, 3 hrs
Baby 4, 40 weeks, 11lb1, 6 hrs
Baby 5, 38 weeks induction, 6lb15, 12 hrs

All short 2nd stages and straightforward.

almmummy Wed 16-Mar-16 10:01:39

happy2bhomely - maybe the BH helps the second stage, my daughter was out after a few pushes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now