Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnant at 41

(11 Posts)
Sareyggs Mon 14-Mar-16 11:07:27

Anyone else in this boat? 5 weeks, will be 42 when the baby is born, I'm terrified it wasn't planned. Already have 2 children, one has special needs. If I have another disabled child not sure I'd cope. Can't believe I've been so stupid! sad

VocationalGoat Mon 14-Mar-16 11:15:44

I delivered a healthy baby boy full term at 42 years old.
I had 2DCs already.
I opted for a CVS to rule out trisomies/ genetic disorders.
You can privately go for the non invasive harmony blood test to rule out certain disorders and trisomies.
You have choices.
It's increasingly common to have a child at and over 40.
Congratulations! flowers I hope once the dust settles, the happy news will sink in.

jimijack Mon 14-Mar-16 11:21:41

I had a healthy little chick at 42, all was well.
I had an amino, for similar reasons to the ones you gave.

I look at him and feel lucky beyond measure, he is fab.
Good luck x

Oldbird41 Mon 14-Mar-16 11:26:14

Hi guys, thank you. If everything is ok I will be over the moon, I have wanted a third child for a long time, but because my eldest has sn ( autism ) my dh has said no. At this age I thought it would be impossible and the risks are so high. It's Down's syndrome that's bothering me, only because I already know how hard it is to parent a disabled child. Are all tests for chromosomal problems invasive? Had an amino with my eldest ( aged 32 ) as came back 1 in 140 for downs, this time with my age can imagine the odds as much higher. The internet is full of gloom!

Oldbird41 Mon 14-Mar-16 11:27:37

By the way I'm
The same person as above changed my user name, no offence to anyone same age! blush

albertcampionscat Mon 14-Mar-16 13:52:48

Harmony etc tests are not invasive and apparently very accurate. Mostly only available privately though.

Mildpanic Mon 14-Mar-16 14:09:25

Hi. I also had my 3rd unplanned at 42.
I went to Harley Street and had the Harmony blood test with scans which gave us a definitive yes baby looks OK by 12 weeks. It was worth every penny. I am sure the Harmony is widely abailable now. You will be offered a nuchal anyway.
I felt your anxiety. I did not book with the midwife till I was past 14 weeks and only told my mum at that stage too. I did not tell work till I was legally obliged to do so.
I think I was in denial right up until my waters went at 38 weeks.
The midwives and the consultant were totally unshaded by my age. It wasn't even mentioned that I recall. The fact that I had 2 already somehow made my age irrelevant.
I have to say my dc3 is absolutely the light of our whole families life. The sibling interaction is amazing, the older siblings love teaching and sharing with.
Yes it is hard going at times but I think that is down to 3 dc's rather than related to my age.
The only downside is seeing friends going out and leaving their kids at home whereas that just isn't possible for us yet.
I'm sure you will be fine. It is such a shock, I think once you get past 40 you sort of write off baby making.

CityMole Mon 14-Mar-16 14:41:41

I'm having my first at 40. I had the Harmony test, as I wanted a non-invasive way to know as early as possible whether I was at risk of having a baby with one of the trisomies.

There's a thread you might find useful on here-

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/2507140-pregnant-at-forty-and-over-thread-2

Congratulations! try not to worry too much! you have another 35 weeks to get through- we'll help you smile

CityMole Mon 14-Mar-16 14:42:30

woops, just checking on the other thread, and I see you have found us already!

Sheera41 Mon 14-Mar-16 17:19:57

Thanks so much for all your support, going to get a harmony appt booked tomorrow, 8 week booking appt is the 1st of April so must be able to make one 2 weeks after that X

Sheera41 Mon 14-Mar-16 17:21:59

By the way changed my name again, convinced myself I had offended someone with previous name as no reply earlier ......... I go a little insane when pregnant as evidenced by the name changing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now