Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How long did it take for it to sink in?

(27 Posts)
wnatalie Sun 13-Mar-16 16:17:02

How long did it take for you to get super excited?

I got my first bfp on the 10th and I was really happy, then really nervous and now I think I'm in a state of shock but also very very happy.

I don't think it has sunk in yet that I'm going to be a mummy. Hopefully after I go to the doctors this week it will sink in

whiteychappers Sun 13-Mar-16 16:28:56

I'm 12 weeks and its still not lol grin

WhispersOfWickedness Sun 13-Mar-16 16:32:19

I didn't really believe it was going to happen until there was a baby in my arms tbh grin

Oysterbabe Sun 13-Mar-16 16:33:32

DD is 10 weeks and I think I'm almost there.

VimFuego101 Sun 13-Mar-16 16:33:41

DS is 4 and it still hasn't grin

Champagneformyrealfriends Sun 13-Mar-16 16:36:07

36 weeks and I'm still not there yet confused

nehagarg Sun 13-Mar-16 18:26:45

I am 29 weeks and there are times I forget I am pregnant. (A kick to the ribs usually serves as a good reminder). Definitely not sunk in that there will be a baby here in a couple of months and I have no clue how to keep it alive.

DontKillMyVibe Sun 13-Mar-16 18:29:12

19 weeks and still doesn't feel real yet!

Missingcaffeine Sun 13-Mar-16 21:08:31

The scans helped a bit, and feeling kicks helped too, but really, it didn't sink in until the midwife handed me my baby! I was like, wooooah, an actual baby!! Never expected that moment to come - even during labour!

wnatalie Sun 13-Mar-16 21:59:26

Phew I'm glad it seems to be normal then! We've been trying for a year and a half and had just started proceedings at the doctors to get checked out; I was told I had an under active thyroid and that I hadn't ovulated. The next thing I know I've got several bfps!!

LaPharisienne Sun 13-Mar-16 22:03:18

25 weeks and totally in denial. Other people tell me about their horrific pregnancy/birth/sleepless night stories etc. and I'm like "oh dear" and privately think why are they telling me this?

poorbuthappy Sun 13-Mar-16 22:12:54

Eldest is 11 and twins are 7.
Still feels like someone parachuted them in after the lovely baby years ended.
Now it's all hormones and rows.
Enjoy it all.

thatsn0tmyname Sun 13-Mar-16 22:15:16

I didn't really start to relax and enjoy it until 14 weeks. I know that the pregnancy was OK, my employer knew and I could talk freely about it. I was even happier once my weight gain actually looked like a pregnancy and not just weight gain.

londonrach Sun 13-Mar-16 22:35:37

Seeing the scan at 12 weeks. You lucky the doctor will see you. I excitedly told the surgery i was pregnant due to a positive test and they said fill in these forms and the midwife would contact you when you 12 weeks. I asked if doctor would confirm pregnancy and told no need. Hence why it didnt feel real to the scan. (Changing doctors soon). Congratulations by the way xx

powertotheparslaii Sun 13-Mar-16 23:39:18

I was excited from the moment I found out with number 1.... Number 2 from when I told number 1 at 20 weeks and I'm only 5 weeks with number 3, I imagine I'll start getting more excited when I see the scan and start to develop a bump

Hamsolo Sun 13-Mar-16 23:43:52

About 6 hours after birth grin

Ludwsys Mon 14-Mar-16 00:13:03

Dc1 wasn't planned and although I was 34 at the time I simply went into denial. I had nothing for him even as I was in labour, I had to send do to the shops with a massive list ready for me coming out of the hospital. Lol

Inthehighcastle Mon 14-Mar-16 07:23:33

When the midwife got me on the bed to start pushing I thought oh my god this is actually going to happen!

malvinandhobbes Mon 14-Mar-16 07:45:07

20 weeks.

I get a little overwhelmed after a scan because I can see the baby in there and for about 3 hours I think "OMG WE ARE HAVING ANOTHER BABY"

Most of the time it feels like I have a condition that makes me fat and slow. People keep asking me if I am excited, or telling me that they are excited and I feel a bit bland. I am not excited. I am trying to navigate my life with only 60% energy. That is taking all my mental space. I keep promising myself that after Easter I will get my head around it. I try and enjoy the kicks, but it takes concentration - like mindfulness.

dylsmimi Mon 14-Mar-16 08:00:09

Relieved to find this thread. I'm 13 weeks and it hasn't sunk in yet. I got a little excited at the scan but now we are starting to tell people I feel really detached. Mil was ringing everyone she knew I was a bit like 'yeah yeah heard this before talk about something new' not that this baby isn't wantes or loved I just feel a little detached.
I think last times once the baby was moving and kicking and I had a big bump that helped it sink in a bit x

tappitytaptap Mon 14-Mar-16 21:48:00

I am 38 weeks and it has not really sunk in yet...have an elective section booked for next week so it will be real very shortly! grin

sophied1983 Sat 19-Mar-16 21:19:08

I am almost 16 weeks and still don't really believe it...

foxessocks Sat 19-Mar-16 21:22:02

Yep agree with some pps that when the midwife handed me my baby I was totally confused...what? An actual baby? For me to keep?!

I'm pregnant with my second, 16 weeks and it hasn't really sunk in that I'm having another one!

BeckyNW Sat 19-Mar-16 22:00:56

What an interesting thread! I'm currently 9 + 3 and I go through phases of being really excited and motivated to get things sorted, followed by phases of forgetting I'm pregnant at all! This is my first pregnancy and I was quite surprised at the massive anticlimax when my GP surgery said there was nothing to do between getting my BFP and my first appt at 10 weeks, except fill in a form. Hopefully things will feel on firmer ground once we have the first scan, assuming there really is a baby in there!

LadyFarnborough Sun 20-Mar-16 08:57:28

I only found out last week, I'm around 4-5 weeks. Still in a state of shock. Mostly I'm just being selfish, I'm gutted that I have to cancel a trip to NYC and honeymoon plans for next year are going to be seriously reigned in. I realise they are not proper reasons to be upset about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now