Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

8 Months Pregnant - Cold Remedy?

(6 Posts)
brookeberry Sun 13-Mar-16 08:51:55

Hi all, I'm just about to start maternity leave and have come down with a bad cold. I never usually get colds but had one for THREE weeks around Christmas time. Is this a pregnancy thing?! I want to avoid a long cold again - I'm meant to be 'nesting' and feeling good, not choking and grumbling. Any tips? smile

nehagarg Sun 13-Mar-16 10:04:46

Colds with a big bump are horrible Brooke. I have one at 7 months now too. These are the things that have been helping me (and helped last time too)

- Hot water with honey, grated ginger and lemon (eat the ginger. Great antibiotic) - 3-4 a day
- Steam with a few drops of tea tree or Eucalyptus oil mixed in the water (several times a day)
- salt water nasal spray - as many times as you need it
- if you are coughing, try hot water mixed with apple cider vinegar and honey
- lots and lots of onions and garlic. Great for getting rid of phlegm.

I also dab a few drops of eucalyptus oil on a handkerchief and tie it around my neck. The smell works like vicks vaporub.

Hope you feel better soon! flowers

Champagneformyrealfriends Sun 13-Mar-16 10:33:50

My sister told me she had a constant cold whilst pregnant. Try and rest, if you feel you need it take paracetamol and try what the pp
above has suggested!

Branleuse Sun 13-Mar-16 10:36:08

paracetamol, lemon and honey with a small shot of brandy in it.

bittapitta Sun 13-Mar-16 10:41:02

Yes it is a pregnancy thing! (Your immune system is lowered so your body doesn't reject the baby) good tips above and rest rest rest as much as you can.

brookeberry Sun 13-Mar-16 11:58:42

Thank you for the brilliant tips everyone - I'm going shopping for cold-busting ingredients! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now