Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Labour bag for c-section

(22 Posts)
Heavenscent86 Fri 11-Mar-16 18:40:55

I have just been told today that I am likely to need a c-section. I had packed a bag based on a standard vaginal birth. Do I need anything different or extra for a c-section?

Heirhelp Fri 11-Mar-16 18:55:55

Extra large comfy knickers so the band does nor rub on your cut.

Trickytricky Fri 11-Mar-16 18:57:08

You won't need anything you specifically packed for the labour (ie TENs machine, music, bikini top (if planning a water birth) etc.
I would recommend that the knickers you pack come up quite high on your tummy so they don't sit on your wound. I didn't use 80% of what was in my bag! Also make sure your bag is packed so it's easy for you DH/DP to find things as you'll be immobilised and he'll need to locate everything. I packed two small bags, one for me, one for baby. I would also recommend packing a zip lock bag with baby's first outfit, a nappy, hat so it's easy to find because you'll need to take it down to the theatre with you (with normal labour you'd give birth in the room with all your stuff/bags etc). Good luck. I had an ELCS and it was a lovely experience.

Trickytricky Fri 11-Mar-16 18:57:44

The full briefs from primark are hilariously large but super comfy post c-section!

snorepatrol Fri 11-Mar-16 18:58:07

Big knickers

The only other thing I'd say is before your DH leaves the unit for the day make sure everything you are likely to need overnight is at waist level.

i.e on the bedside trolley or on top of the cabinate. Nothing worse than trying to bend to grab things after a c section.

snorepatrol Fri 11-Mar-16 19:02:05

Oh one more tip have a couple of bags so you're not inundated with stuff.

I had one bag for day 1 with a few nappies 2 baby grows vests etc and everything you need for the day like snacks, drinks, magazines for while I was waiting for c section and immediately post op and then another bag I left in the boot of the car with a couple of days worth of clothes and vests in.

My DH brought the second bag on day 2 and took the first bag and all its un needed contents home.

It just saved me bringing a suitcase full of crap I only needed for day one.

BingoBonkers Fri 11-Mar-16 19:08:13

Big pants.

Everything within reach before visitors leave as you can and should buzz for help but you can be waiting quite some time.

sizethree Fri 11-Mar-16 19:40:47

All of the above is great advice.
I'd add that a nightie instead of pyjamas is essential (as even if you have oversized high waisted pjs, you'll be wearing a catheter for around a day after the surgery)
Over bump leggings or jeans for outfit on way home, again to protect the incision.
I also luckily took an extra pillow from home as I has an EMCS just after midnight, so my DH could only stay for a very short time after delivery and recovery and the extra pillow was great to prop me on my side so I could feed my baby more comfortably.

Babyh200 Fri 11-Mar-16 20:17:45

Definitely take a nightdress! I bought beautiful Maternity pyjamas which got in the way of the Catheter when I had my DD, this time I will be taking two nighties. I'm also taking my pillow, I can't stand the hospital pillows.

LuckySantangelo1 Fri 11-Mar-16 20:22:47

I took in Tena pants (as recommended on mn!) and they were great. Didn't irritate my wound and much more comfy than sitting in bed with a massive pad on. Also snacks! I tool loads of high fibre stuff like naked bars to minimise the risk of constipation. The hospital food will be disgusting so take a whole bag of tasty things. I also took coconut water which was great when I felt quite dehydrated after.

I loved my section. Best of luck to you.

LuckySantangelo1 Fri 11-Mar-16 20:24:15

One more thing! I took my massive v shaped nursing pillow & it was awesome. Came into its own when my husband stayed the night in the worlds most uncomfortable chair!

BikeRunSki Fri 11-Mar-16 20:30:17

Shower gel on a hook
Sports cap water bottle for drinking lying down
Dried fruit to nibble on and help that first poo (I wasn't allowed home without having done so)
Shoes you can out in without bending down- I shuffled around in Crocs for weeks.
Lipsyl - I was in for s few days after both cs, and the warmth of the maternity ward really dried me out.

YYY to Primark big pants.

BikeRunSki Fri 11-Mar-16 20:31:57

Oh yes nighty because of catheter.

And over bump clothes for going home. "under bump" = "on the scar".

Aworldofmyown Fri 11-Mar-16 20:32:31

Peppermint Tea, for the wind! Trust me smile

Also, nothing to do with the bag but, when you do stand up after the section and everytime you stand. Take a moment to remind yourself to stand up straight immediately. Sounds daft but your instinct will be to stoop because of the wound and that is more painful as your tummy muscles take the strain not your back.

A nurse told me that after my 2nd section and it made such a difference.

Aworldofmyown Fri 11-Mar-16 20:34:30

Oh and when you buy the pants - the bigger the better. They need to fit you now 9 months pregnant with room. Your tummy will swell I'm afraid.

FuzzyOwl Fri 11-Mar-16 20:35:03

I took a portable phone charger which was great as I would have run out of battery and been unable to reach the plug to charge my phone or remove it if it had been charging.

Also take some nice food to snack on afterwards as the hospital stuff is horrid and you might be in for a while.

Glitterkitten24 Fri 11-Mar-16 20:37:31

I am attempting to pack my cs hospital bag today, this thread is very timely!! Had a cs first time round too but still wirrying I've forgotten stuff.

Big knickers are a definite. Ditto going home clothes that don't sit on your waistline.

A nighty rather than pjs for the first 24 hours when you might still have catheter in.

Slippers you can slip your feet into without bending down.

Deodorant/ wet wipes- I didn't attempt a shower til next day.

thenewaveragebear1983 Fri 11-Mar-16 20:39:21

Definitely agree with the two bags- I was in overnight the night before so I had a pre-birth and post birth bag. Also, cannot stress this enough, earplugs earplugs earplugs. Damn those new baby wards are noisy. I also took my own BIG China mug because I cannot abide those tiny plastic cups of tea. Plus all the usual post delivery stuff, but more of it (you might be in a few days, so extra pants/socks/ books etc). Something comfy to come home in, flip flops for the shower. Lansinoh cream.

Givemecoffeeplease Fri 11-Mar-16 20:42:47

Shower gel on a hook. Saves bending. My second was a planned CS. A wonderful experience. Congrats in advance!

mrsmugoo Sat 12-Mar-16 07:22:42

Be careful with peppermint tea / peppermint capsules. I took these on the advice of a MN thread only to find they hinder milk production.

Heavenscent86 Sat 12-Mar-16 07:35:11

Thank you. There are some great ideas here and I won't need to alter my labour bag too dramatically luckily. I will avoid peppermint capsules or tea until I have seen how breastfeeding is going though.

Heavenscent86 Sat 12-Mar-16 07:35:42

Definitely going to have a look at tena pants.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now