Talk

Advanced search

GBS and water birth

(4 Posts)
Mslg Fri 11-Mar-16 13:31:36

GBS was found in my urine this week and I'm currently on a course of antibiotics. Just got a letter through from the hospital midwife which says they recommend more antibiotics during labour. I will do anything that reduces baby's risk of getting it but I presume they will be given IV so will mean I can't have a water birth? sad does anyone have any experience of this?

Mummyme87 Fri 11-Mar-16 15:45:05

Most units 'allow' you to use the pool with GBS. The antibiotics are 4hrly in labour over 20mins. You will have a cannula in and once each set of antibiotics are in you will be disconnected from the drip. If it goes through an electronic pump you may be asked to get out of the pool whilst it goes through.
Also it may be wise to put a glove on to cover your cannula and tape it around your wrist to stop allowing water in

Mslg Fri 11-Mar-16 17:33:00

Thank you Mummy this has given me some hope smile

Runningupthathill82 Fri 11-Mar-16 18:00:41

I had GBS in my first pregnancy and was allowed to use the pool in the MLU.
I got into the water after having the IV antibiotics and had to get out to have more lots of the antibiotics as the labour progressed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now