Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Has anyone adapted a crib to make a bedside co-sleeper?

(19 Posts)
BettyBi0 Thu 10-Mar-16 13:20:51

I've just seen the great IKEA hack of turnover the gulliver cot into a bedside co-sleeper. We don't really have room for a full sized cot by our bed so I'm hoping to do the same kind of thing with a crib.

Has anyone done this or can recommend a crib that I can take the side off whilst keeping it structurally safe?

BettyBi0 Thu 10-Mar-16 13:21:38

Turning the not turnover bloomin autocorrect

ODog Thu 10-Mar-16 13:24:37

Following as i was wondering the same thing

LBOCS2 Thu 10-Mar-16 14:25:43

Have you looked at a dedicated cosleeper? There are a number on the market (bednest, next2me) which are specifically designed to do what you're after?

NotWithoutMyMerkin Thu 10-Mar-16 14:34:25

Yes I did it twice. look for a cot where the side removes without compromising the balance of the cot. Asda do one

Then it's pretty easy;
Ability to secure tightly to your bed (I used tie wraps)
Level the height - either saw the cot legs or buy furniture raisers for your bed
Fill the gap left when the cot mattress is pushed against your bed - I used a pool noodle under the cot fitted sheet

Flossiesmummy Thu 10-Mar-16 14:39:57

I have done exactly that with the ikea crib you mention. Best decision ever!

BettyBi0 Thu 10-Mar-16 16:44:15

Has anyone done it with a smaller size crib as opposed to a normal size cot though?

I do like the dedicated co sleepers like the next2me but I'm looking to save some money as basic cribs are so much cheaper.

PipersOrange Thu 10-Mar-16 16:48:45

I've just taken the side off of a cot and pushed it next to the bed.. I wasn't aware there was a specific way to do it!

BettyBi0 Thu 10-Mar-16 17:13:42

It seems lots of cots are designed to have a side taken off for when the baby is older. However, most cribs I've seen are only designed to have all 4 sides on. I'm just a bit worried that I'll buy a flat pack crib and it will fall apart without the 4th side on if it isn't designed to have that function.

LumpishAndIllogical Thu 10-Mar-16 17:28:14

No but got this, although haven't put it together yet as baby due june and just got it www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BY2WVKU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

NotWithoutMyMerkin Thu 10-Mar-16 21:19:38

What's your price range?
You need to check that the legs are attached to the head/foot end and that the base is too. Then a side is easily remove able

NotWithoutMyMerkin Thu 10-Mar-16 21:21:35

Eg this - you can see from the pics that the sides are non integral http://www.just4baby.co.uk/acatalog/Spacesaver-Fixed-Side-Baby-Cot-in-Natural-Pine-Finish.html?gclid=CjwKEAiA04S3BRCYteOr6b-roSUSJABE1-6BQWnN3Twb4LJaAGgwNUCxEgj8Nw8-Tsyb8L-PYQ3CcRoCr5rw_wcB

CutYourHairAndGetAJob Thu 10-Mar-16 21:24:05

We've done this, we bought a babies r us crib from Gumtree.

BookTart Thu 10-Mar-16 21:27:20

We did it with a Troll swinging crib (obviously we locked the swinging mechanism). It worked fine, but she still refused to sleep in it grin

AlleyCatandRastaMouse Thu 10-Mar-16 21:29:03

We had a normal cot which we took one side off, put blankets under it to ensure mattress was level with the bed, pushed mattresses together with no gap and towels in the other side so there was no gap on the other side of the cot. It was very handy although often he was still over beside me in the bed.

SingingMyOwnSpecialSong Thu 10-Mar-16 21:38:36

Yes, with the IKEA Gulliver. Worked really well, used cable ties to attach it to my bed and the cheapest cot mattress ikea do under the better quality one brought it to just the right height. I used a tightly rolled blanket to fill the gap, but against the cot side, not between my mattress and hers.

I did find it difficult to feed her in the cot while lying on my side as I couldn't get comfy. Also once she started rolling I found her half way down my bed a couple of times and was worried she would get stuck/injure herself on the bottom edge of the cot. We ditched the cot and moved to co-sleeping with a double mattress on the floor. TBH I think if we have another I would just start with that, although it suits DH and I better than many couples as we already slept separately due to his sleep issues.

BettyBi0 Thu 10-Mar-16 21:40:54

Oooh that is really affordable seeing as the mattress is included.... Hmmm need to check dimensions

Ughnotagain Thu 10-Mar-16 21:46:01

You can get second hand bedside cribs pretty cheap sometimes. We got ours - a Babybay - on eBay for about £70. They're about £200 new shock

SingingMyOwnSpecialSong Fri 11-Mar-16 00:18:51

My Gulliver frame was from gumtree, it had been a second cot at the grandparents house and only used twice. We just bought mattresses new. (Got my almost new buggy, the exact model I wanted, from gumtree for a great price too, it's first owner had got it for a toddler who refused to use it.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now