Freaking out- should I request cesarean next week?(4 Posts)
I have been having regular growth scans, 37 weeks and last growth scan showed all was good after the previous one showed smaller than normal range legs and decelerating growth (from just above 10th centile to just under). I have had bad asthma, lots of medication for it, plus a transverse\unstable lie situation that seems now to have resolved itself, at least for the last week anyway. I am just so worried about this increasing my risk of still birth, consultants are cra# and not at all helpful, even said if I had group strep b they wouldn't bother with antibiotics during labour, all they ever say is that the risk of x, y, z is so small and send me on my way. I have left loads of messages for mental health midwife and she hasn't got back to me, given up now, but tbh all she ever said was 'don't worry' anyway which doesn't help someone who wants to talk facts and statistics with an expert. So now I'm thinking I really want a c section to remove the risk of a placenta problem towards end of pregnancy, next week would be 38 weeks - is it best to wait for 39? Due to see my rubbish consultant on Monday so could make my case then, I expert her to say no but am aware I then need to ask her to refer me. Have a history of ocd\anxiety - not that that has had any affect on the care I have received through a non- standard pregnancy. Any advice v gratefully received, thanks x
39 weeks is usually when you book in for an elective. If you want one, i would raise it at your next appointment. I have had three due to babies position and one normal birth and recovert with a normal birth really is a lot easier. However, have a natural birth that gets a bit complicated and doens't go smoothly and that can go right out the window! Def talk it over with them but do a bit of research on natural vs c section. If you have any other kids to look after i'm not sure i would recommend one without a lot of help at home as c sections can take a while to get over fully.
They will likely offer you an induction instead of a section unless there is a reason that you don't want or cant have a vaginal birth. My aunt was in a similar situation regarding growth and had an induction at 39 weeks.
Yes, do discuss it with your consultant again. Mention all your concerns including the B strep and your MH issues.
You can ask to a second opinion if you are not confident in what you have been told.
You need to fully understand and accept the risks there are with CS, but as per NICE guidelines ought to have say in the matter.
Also, please bear in mind growth scans are notoriously unreliable in terms of predicting actual birth weight - they can be 'out' by 30% either way. I wish weight predictions were not given as all they ever do (as far as I can tell) is create anxiety.
Recent example, a friend had a 10+lbs baby predicted, had all sorts of concerns about size of baby/amount of amniotic fluid and then delivered by induction at 37 weeks a 6lbs6oz healthy boy
Are those looking after you aware just how worried you are? Can you take somebody with you to your appointments, as an advocate and support for you? Write all questions you have down - I know how easy it is to get flustered and forget important points in the heat of the moment.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.