Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Ouch!

(7 Posts)
Mouthfulofquiz Tue 08-Mar-16 19:41:35

Apologies first off for the TMI post!
I'm 32 weeks pregnant with my third baby. My vulva and vagina feel really really sore. I just braved having a look down there with a mirror and they look really swollen and bruised sad.
I've had a chest infection for the last two weeks so I have been coughing and coughing and coughing all day and all night. I've had a week of antibiotics (so maybe it's thrush?) and a week of oral steroids. I've wrecked all of the good work that I had previously done on my pelvic floor - I'd almost rid myself of stress incontinence and now it's back, so I'm wearing liners again. sad. I think all the coughing has also made the few little piles I have nice and sore!

Basically - short of lying down with my fanny in the air with an ice pack on it for the next few weeks, does anyone else have any experience of this or advice to share? My bits look like I've just given birth, not like I've got weeks and weeks to go.

Thinking about calling the GP or midwife tomorrow...

Pinkheart5915 Tue 08-Mar-16 19:48:00

It is more than likely thrush.
I used the thrush cream when pregnant. I didn't but I think you can even use the pessary as long as you don't use the applicator thing ( best to check with your midwife though)
For tonight have you got any natural yoghurt in the house? Put some natural yoghurt, on your bits it is so soothing worked for me when pregnant!

3littlefrogs Tue 08-Mar-16 19:53:19

You can use the cream and pessaries as long as you don't use the applicator.

Send someone else to buy them for you so that you don't have to share your entire medical history with the queue.

Buy some live yogurt drinks to re-balance your gut flora after the antibiotics.

Thrush can be very painful. I hope you feel better soon.

VocationalGoat Tue 08-Mar-16 19:53:20

Could it be vulvar varicosities? This is not only common in pregnancy but more common in second, third, and subsequent pregnancies.
They can really hurt... almost in the same way as when you're having a period (you know, that pain that feels like weights are hanging from your labia? Sorry... tmi).
I had them badly with DC3. They went down post-partum and almost two years later, they are not there at all.

Mouthfulofquiz Tue 08-Mar-16 20:02:07

Thanks so much for the replies...
Unfortunately i don't have any natural yoghurt - only lemon mousse which unfortunately may make things worse!!
I am going to try the thrush treatment, but also I do feel 'heavy' down there so perhaps it is vulvar varicosities as well? It all looks so bruised!

Good idea to send someone else out for the thrush treatment!! Although, I do find that since having kids, I'm not quite so embarrassed about discussing my vagina! (And the surrounding area!)

Thanks again everyone flowers

whiteychappers Tue 08-Mar-16 20:18:12

A bath in some bicarbonate of.soda has relieved it a bit for me. Tried yoghurt, was making me uncomfortable sitting there with it smeared all over my ladyparts!

Mouthfulofquiz Tue 08-Mar-16 20:52:30

Excellent! I do have that in the cupboard so will give it a try - thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now