Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Corpus Luteum Cyst?

(6 Posts)
Cassie2015 Tue 08-Mar-16 14:39:04

Hi ladies,

Just went for an early scan, I'm 8 weeks and 2 days today.

Baby is ok so far, matches my dates spot on and has a heartbeat of 170bpm.

However, the sonographer noticed my corpus luteum is a little bit big. Supposed to be 2mm but mine is 3mm. She said they only really worry when they are 5 and says it should resolves on its own.

Anyone else had this?

BettyBi0 Tue 08-Mar-16 15:35:32

Much easier said than done but try not to worry. The scan measurements are so tiny early on that a pixel either way has a big impact.

LotsofDots Tue 08-Mar-16 15:41:57

Do you mean cm rather than mm? At 5cm they would refer for consultant care in pregnancy, (and probably still leave alone, most go away) below that, they generally leave them alone.

Cassie2015 Tue 08-Mar-16 16:32:39

Oh I don't know...I just assume mm, she just said it's 3 so a little bit big as it's normally 2 but they only start to worry at 5...

ffauxlivia Tue 08-Mar-16 20:37:18

I had this, honestly it's really nothing to worry about. Basically there is often a small cyst there which forms naturally during ovulation, and it's normal to get a big bigger if pregnancy occurs. The corpus luteum is what's feeding the baby in the early weeks. They almost always go away when the placenta starts taking over from about week 10.

I think mine was about 6cm at an early scan so I had quite a few follow up ones. At the next scan it was smaller but a second one had popped up, and by 12 weeks they had both gone completely. I panicked for ages but really didn't need to. They will monitor you just in case it doesn't go away, but it is very common and they almost always resolve themselves. They did cause me some pain and discomfort in the early weeks though, and they told me not to do any strenuous exercise - they said sex was okay but it might hurt, so I avoided it just in case! I'm 37+5 now and it's all a distant memory.

pickledsausage Wed 09-Mar-16 17:35:54

Sorry no advice but just place marking in are anyone else comes along with advice/experience.

I have an existing 6cm cyst which was on my right ovary but is now under my uterus apparently. This has been ongoing since last September. I had a miscarriage in November last year and now am 5+2 weeks pregnant again. Hoping to get an early scan and lots of monitoring! And hoping that it doesn't cause anything bad to happen...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now