Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

painful fingers and toes?

(9 Posts)
FatimaLovesBread Tue 08-Mar-16 09:12:28

I'm 36 weeks and have been suffering from painful, achey fingers and now toes that are getting worse.

I fell over when 20 weeks and landed awkwardly on 2 fingers which bruised them and seemed to take a while for them to heal, at first I thought it was still those causing problems.

However it is now both hands and my toes ache as well.

With my fingers it's mainly the mid finger knuckles and lower fingers that ache. They get worse as the day goes on and are particularly bad when I wake in the night.

Will it be related to swelling and water retention? My fingers are swollen but not obviously so, I can no longer fit rings on but they don't look like sausages.

Someone tell me they also suffered from this and it's not early onset arthritis smile

FatimaLovesBread Wed 09-Mar-16 20:31:51

Anyone? Or am I a lone weirdo? grin

Jenjen85 Wed 09-Mar-16 21:00:50

I'm in no way medically trained but sounds like it could be carpel tunnel. It's common in pregnancy. I had it after I had my DD and became very painful even to hold a spoon. My feet also hurt too for a while. Maybe talk to your doctor as I was referred for a wrist splint

Maybug12 Wed 09-Mar-16 22:41:42

My due date is today, but I developed painful fingers from about Monday this week! No idea what it is, but is the same as you described. Achey joints in my fingers, and same as you, not obviously swollen but I know they are a little due to rings being a little tighter than normal! I just put it down to another weird thing that happens when you're pregnant 🤔

MaryEllen1 Thu 10-Mar-16 11:44:12

I used to get this in my fingers over night and was told its carpel tunnel and quite common in pregnancy, I think if it gets really bad you can get hand braces to help.

LBOCS2 Thu 10-Mar-16 14:28:51

Sounds like carpal tunnel - I haven't had it this time around but did last time. Speak to your GP, I left mine until I had DD band realised I didn't have the strength in my pincer grip to do up poppers in her sleep suits!

FatimaLovesBread Sun 13-Mar-16 21:09:55

Have googler carpal tunnel and it matches up. I've only got a couple of weeks left so hopefully it will be gone soon.

I think my feet are just swollen and pressing on nerves. They're quite itchy today I think from the stretched skin.

Margoonyawill Mon 14-Mar-16 12:10:51

Sounds like carpal tunnel to me too. I had it in last pregnancy, was referred to physio and was given the wrist splints to sleep in which helped a little. It is caused by swelling in the wrists (and possibly the ankles) which presses on some of the nerves. For me, it disappeared as soon as I'd given birth.

Squaffle Mon 14-Mar-16 12:39:23

You're not alone! I am 38+4 and have had this for the last week or so. Hands are usually worse in the morning and evening, my feet are so big you can probably see them from space, but not painful. I read somewhere that opening and closing your hands in warm water gives temporary relief, might give it a go. But if you're worried speak to your midwife or GP for sure. Good luck xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now