Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

1st Holiday after birth

(17 Posts)
Bellasima20 Mon 07-Mar-16 10:13:54

Hi all pregnant with Dc2 and considering going to Lanzarote 1 month after having baby, with Dh and DS (2).

We travelled to Europe ( at Christmas) with DS when he was only 3 weeks and am pretty chilled when it comes to stuff like this, but is this a mad idea? I'm also thinking about me post birth, 1 month after very likely to still be bleeding, so makes going in the pool a no-go? Thing is we stayed at this gorgeous hotel last year, Ds loved it, has a kids club he could go in for a few hours a day and even if we mainly stay in hotel room, baby could sleep inside in cool while we lounge on terrace in sun... I'd be in utter HEAVEN!!! What do you think?

Everythinggettingbigger Mon 07-Mar-16 12:01:04

I don't think its mad! im due with DC2 in May and will be going away (granted in this country) in July and was considering booking a holiday to Spain with my parents and DS1 (DP is away a lot this year on stag dos, year of weddings for us!) again at the end of July. I wish we had of booked it when we were thinking about it im gutted we aren't going now.

the only thing stopping me would be the bleeding as you say, I was still in quite a bit of pain after a month as my stitches were infected so took longer to heal, but if you were fine after DC1 then I don't see the problem?

Enjoy your holiday and congratulations on DC2!

KatharinaRosalie Mon 07-Mar-16 12:11:25

What if the baby is a couple of weeks late? You also need to get them travel documents.

I don't have any issues with travelling with small babies, but just 4 weeks after the due date might be cutting it a little fine.

Everythinggettingbigger Mon 07-Mar-16 12:21:31

oh good thinking might struggle to get a passport sorted in 2 weeks if you go 2 weeks over? and a lot of airlines like babies to be a little older to travel too

ohanami Mon 07-Mar-16 12:59:56

A friend has recently had a 5 week wait to get her baby registered and I don't think she could apply for a passport before then.

My other consideration would be that, if you go overdue you could be in the middle of a massive hormone dip and feeling tearful or down, your milk might have only come in a week or so earlier so you could still be leaking all over the place, plus the bleeding and any kind of complications for you or the baby might mean you're not as up for the trip as you expect. If the baby is colicky or tongue tied or has reflux then it might not be the easiest traveling companion at that age. But as you say - if it's all fine you could have a lovely trip and it would be fantastic family time. Could you leave it until the very last minute to book or would the place you want to go be fully booked by then?

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Mon 07-Mar-16 13:03:08

I really don't think it will be doable, you'll struggle to get an appt to register the baby within 4 (or less if overdue) weeks, let alone send for and receive a passport!

Id book it at least 12 weeks after your due date to give plenty of time, but longer if die near summer because of passport delays

VagueIdeas Mon 07-Mar-16 13:07:29

Couldn't you just delay it for a bit?

Four (or even two) weeks post birth is madness. Yes, you'll still be bleeding which rules out swimming because you can't use tampons. You'll be sleep deprived at best and physically and emotionally delicate at worst. You may have needed a c section which precludes flying for a bit due to the risk of blood clots (IIRC).

Just make life easy on yourself and pick a more sensible time.

gunting Mon 07-Mar-16 13:11:18

I think delay it a bit.

My DS was two weeks late and then spent a week in for jaundice. Really anything could happen so I'd probably wait until they were more like 8 weeks.

Bellasima20 Mon 07-Mar-16 14:12:23

Thanks all! We got DS passport/flew abroad 3 weeks post his birth so know it can be done...but you are right, have now found another resort not as far away that's 100% family orientated with every baby facility/ equipment etc under the sun, and we could go at 7 weeks? My mum might even come with extra help there.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Mon 07-Mar-16 16:03:59

Must be less of a waiting list for the registrar where you are then! DD1 was 8 weeks, DD2 7 just to be registered, we'd never have made a holiday 3 or 7 weeks after!!

Have a lovely holiday OP 🌴🍹🌞

Junosmum Mon 07-Mar-16 16:13:40

Delay it:

if baby is late (or even on time) time to get birth registered plus time to apply for passport is very short, depending on when baby is due it may be impossible.

most airlines require babies to be at least 14 days old on day of travel.

if you are still bleeding you won't be able to go in the pool (can't use tampons or mooncup). And do you want to be wearing a pad in your swimsuit?

I'm also very laid back with such things and would have been happy to take DS on a city break at 1 month old, but I wouldn't have been ready for a sun holiday.

Maybe book it for 2 months after?

Pinkheart5915 Mon 07-Mar-16 17:07:40

I think go for it.

Me and my husband went to San Francisco 6 weeks after birth for 3 weeks and got married while we was there.

I am very chilled out about things, we had a lovely time.

cheeseandcrackers Mon 07-Mar-16 17:16:24

I'm surprised at people mentioning long delays for registering the baby, here you can get an appointment for the next day and where ds1 was born you could just turn up anytime without an appointment. Is it not a legal requirement to register within 6 weeks?

I think your new plan of travelling at 7 weeks sounds great and much more feasible than four weeks. Have a great time!

Pinkheart5915 Mon 07-Mar-16 17:25:36

Me too cheeseandcrackers our ds1 was born last September we got an appointment to register him 2 days later. Passport took 2 weeks to come.

gunting Mon 07-Mar-16 19:33:50

Where I live in the north west I registered my DS the next day but a friend in Birmingham couldn't get an appointment until 10 weeks.

This was in December last year

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Tue 08-Mar-16 12:09:05

It is meant to be six weeks, but if they gave no available appointments what do you do?! They won't prosecute you if it's not your fault, if you decline appointments it would be different. Next day would be unheard of here! The nearest registry office to us is now 30 mins away,the local one closed years ago!

Mummyme87 Tue 08-Mar-16 13:42:14

I would suggest delaying it, you don't know how you will feel post birth. You never know how the birth may go, plus if baby is born at a busy time for passport applications there may be a delay in that. Also, risk of DVT is high until 6weeks post delivery, so flying would just add to that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now