Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Breastfeeding

(12 Posts)
Jenjen85 Sun 06-Mar-16 19:18:51

I'm currently 14wks 4 days but already starting to think about feeding. I struggled with DD as I don't think I produced enough milk and she struggled to latch on. Had help from local breastfeeding group but became really sore so put her on formula. Just wondering if there's anything I can do to help my milk supply this time round as really want to breastfeed DC2 if possible. Any help/tips would be great

NotWithoutMyMerkin Sun 06-Mar-16 19:20:53

Find a local lactation consultant now. Call them and explain what happened. Use them after birth for one on one support.

Good luck

PeppaPigStinks Sun 06-Mar-16 19:22:38

Lots of skin to skin.
Maybe buy yourself a stretchy sling like a moby or close caboo and use it topless!

My cousin had a similar issue as you first time and Ff. Her second dc has just turned a year and is still Brest feeding.

NotWithoutMyMerkin Sun 06-Mar-16 19:22:52

Sorry - that sounds really abrupt. Multitasking!
What I meant to say was a lactation consultant is the best qualified person to help you. Talking to one locally before you give birth means that you can build a relationship with one (makes it easier to call and ask for help when you're hormonal and unsure of yourself post birth). They will also be able to advise you on some things you can read now to prepare, and to put your mind at rest that this time you can be successful

Whatdoidohelp Sun 06-Mar-16 19:26:22

Don't doubt your milk supply. The only way to know if you have a low supply is your baby's weight.

Feed feed and feed some more is the best advise I can give. Oh and as others say speak to a lactation consultant before birth to go over latching. If you can't afford one there are some excellent vids on YouTube.

flumpybear Sun 06-Mar-16 19:37:16

I'd also suggest not getting too bothered by it all, bf, fantastic, but ff is Aldo fine, or combi, whatever dirks gif you me your family. My DD struggled a lot when my second child came along when i was BF, she was very upset and clingy and couldn't be consoled it was almost difficult to integrate DS to the family unit so combi worked better fir us as a family in that situation. I also suffered DMER so that helped my mood a lot

flumpybear Sun 06-Mar-16 19:40:45

* works with your family ... Stupid iPad!

Jenjen85 Sun 06-Mar-16 19:45:59

Sorry flumpybear what's DMER?

flumpybear Sun 06-Mar-16 20:24:18

Dysphoric milk ejection reflex - essentially I think it's a hormone issue, you get a wave of feelings, mine was a wave of extreme hate, horror, happiness and desire - I believe some feel awful emotions like suicide.nit wasn't ever pleasant and happened most times inane around BF - it made me cringe and literally my toes curl

InFrance2014 Mon 07-Mar-16 12:59:14

Great article here, most fears of having a low supply are unfounded: abm.me.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/blog-low-milk-supply.pdf

If you had a bad latch last time and it became too painful to feed often, then that would have affected your supply. I agree, get support info now, and if this time latching goes badly again, ask for help ASAP.

This video on good latching is really clearly explained and would've made a big difference to me last time - I had to use nipple shields at the start, but we got off them after 16 weeks and carried on fine.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjt-Ashodw8

greenlizard Mon 07-Mar-16 13:19:05

I really struggled with breast feeding to start with. Painful, engorged breasts, cracked and bleeding nipples. It was so painful when he latched on I used to cry and he as wasn't getting a full feed he was forever wanting another go! Hideous.

I essentially camped out at the breast feeding clinics in my area and shamelessly repeatedly asked for help. I expressed and fed him with a bottle when I couldn't bear it any more and give my nipples a chance to recover. I also fed the odd bottle of formula. It took about 8 weeks but then we got the hang of it and it was great.

Good luck.

Jenjen85 Mon 07-Mar-16 14:26:58

Thanks ladies smile Iv text my midwife today (I'm lucky enough to have a one to one midwife) and she has said we can talk more at my next appointment in 2 weeks. She did say that she can come once babies born and help establish feeding with me and they also have breastfeeding people who can come and help too. Will definitely watch the video thanks InFrance2014

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now