Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Would you go on a 40 mile sponsored walk while 25weeks pregnant?

(41 Posts)
crunchynutclustersdevilswork Sat 05-Mar-16 20:20:19

Have a reasonable level of fitness, do quite intensive Pilates and yoga a few times a week, but obviously don't walk that kind of distance at all. It's a slowish pace with a few stops along the way and I signed up to do it and got sponsorship before I got pregnant.

LucyMouse Sat 05-Mar-16 20:23:37

Absolutely no way.

TriJo Sat 05-Mar-16 20:25:06

Only if I'd done recent walks which would suggest that doing that sort of distance wouldn't be a problem. 40 miles, even with stops, will have you on your feet for a very long time - how ready would you be to be on your feet for potentially 12+ hours?

TriJo Sat 05-Mar-16 20:28:00

Also, it's not necessarily directly comparable, but I completed an Olympic distance triathlon (1500m swim, 40km bike, 10km run) at 8 weeks with no issues apart from having to modify my usual race day nutrition to accomodate a slight aversion to sweet food, but at 25 weeks I had to stop running completely because even with a support belt the pressure on my pelvis was too much.

ispymincepie Sat 05-Mar-16 20:30:04

Hell no! I did a half marathon in my first trimester and wrecked my pelvis for the rest of the pregnancy, totally not worth it imo.

Luc28 Sat 05-Mar-16 20:31:29

No ... Don't put your body or your baby under any strain. At 25w with my first DD I was well and active, with My second DS 25w I was awfully poorly and it didn't ease up there on. Each are different but your health comes first!

TolstoyAteMyHamster Sat 05-Mar-16 20:31:59

No way. I did 60 miles over 24 hours when not pregnant and it was horrendous. And I was pretty fit and had done lots of walking to train. I'd worry about dehydration, tiredness and joint issues (remember your ligaments are stretchier than before), and 25 weeks pregnant is really quite advanced. I'm all for getting on with life but I think there's no shame in dropping out of this one!

Artioo2 Sat 05-Mar-16 20:36:46

No, I wouldn't. I'm currently 24 weeks and have trouble walking my DS the mile to school, and I normally walk a lot. I get very tired and get painful stitch and tightening on my bump when I walk any kind of distance.

mupperoon Sat 05-Mar-16 20:36:47

Nope. It is likely to take you 15 or more hours and you'll need to be hydrating constantly, therefore also peeing a lot - even more since you'll have an officially viable baby bouncing on your bladder. You'll also need to eat quite a few calories, which isn't that easy on foot unless it's rubbish like jelly babies.

I have done a couple of 100km walks and I simply can't imagine how I could have done even 20km at 25 weeks pregnant.

I think you have to put the welfare of the baby and yourself before the charity in this case! Sorry.

mupperoon Sat 05-Mar-16 20:39:05

Tolstoy it wasn't Trailwalker 2012 was it? The definition of horrendous (although I quite enjoyed it too)

JOEYDOESNTSHAREFOOD Sat 05-Mar-16 20:40:49

Where are you walking? Around a city where help will be hugely available, or into the wilderness, that would affect my decision.

DancingDinosaur Sat 05-Mar-16 20:42:02

No! I did a 5 k run / walk when I was 32 pg. my ankles swelled up like balloons and I must have stopped to pee in the bushes 8 or 9 times.

HarlettOScara Sat 05-Mar-16 20:42:26

If I did that sort of distance regularly then yes, probably. But not for the first time.

Plantpot83 Sat 05-Mar-16 21:01:05

I did a 50km walk a couple of years ago (not pregnant) and I wouldn't have been able to do this at 25 weeks despite having an easy pregnancy. Although I generally felt well and stayed active I was definitely much more tired than normal and had aches and pains. There is always a risk too that you decide to go ahead and then have to cancel anyway a couple of days beforehand which might make it even more difficult to find a replacement or cancel. For example at 24 weeks I hurt my hip, the pain only lasted a few days but during that time I could barely walk.

vroc81 Sat 05-Mar-16 21:04:24

Could you do a bit, those that have sponsored you would be pretty mean to say"ooh no not giving that to charity as you only did 10 miles" or could you swap to the support team or anything to still be involved? I was support crew for a team doing a 60 mile walk a couple of years ago and while my feet hurt less than theirs we were invaluable for them completing it and the walker that dropped out due to injury two weeks before and joined the support crew still got all his earlier sponsorship for the team..

Cupoftchaiagain Sat 05-Mar-16 21:06:58

No way I am 25 weeks now and reasonably active, wouldn't have blinked at this when not pregnant but agree no way would i willingly do that now. 10 miles maybe!! And that would be the impressive endurance test. What stage are u now?

Mumoftwoyoungkids Sat 05-Mar-16 21:08:33

The advice I was given is that if you feel up to it then carrying on with what you do normally is fine but doing more is a bad idea.

I carried on cycling to work until 26 weeks with Dd (when a month of snow put me off) and 32 weeks with ds but that was because cycling was how I always got to work.

HayleyAnn88 Sat 05-Mar-16 21:11:13

I wouldn't. I went from a regular long walker (10+ miles on a weekend day was nothing unusual) to now hobbling to the shops and back (28 weeks). Pelvic/back pain can hit all of a sudden so you may be fine one day and feel crippled the next as I was.

mudandmayhem01 Sat 05-Mar-16 21:16:02

If you already did regular long distance walking and this walk with a step down from the type of stuff you normally do fine, but it sound like you aren't used to this kind of activity so probably not.

SpecialStains Sat 05-Mar-16 21:45:08

Are you on about the Keswick to Barrow? I am a keen walker and did it a couple of years ago, but absolutely would not do in pregnancy. Sorry.

slebmum1 Sat 05-Mar-16 21:46:20

No no no. Unless you are regularly turning out that kind of distance.

BennyTheBall Sat 05-Mar-16 21:51:58

I would, but only because I was very fit when pregnant and kept up my usual levels of exercise until the end.

I think your fitness and activity levels are key. I was happy and able to stay fit and run, horse ride, weight train and do spinning classes but I have many friends that did nothing and found walking made them out of breath.

I walked 12 miles the day before I had my first - I am pretty sure it helped things along as he was a bit late.

lljkk Sat 05-Mar-16 22:02:56

In one day?? Flat presumably not hills? Not in one day for me. Longest I've ever walked in one day was 30 miles. That was an accident and I wasn't pg. I have never been so hungry in my life. Too much.

40 miles over even 2 days would still be a quite big effort.

silverstar77 Sat 05-Mar-16 22:05:34

Nope! I was meant to be leading a 28 mile walk at 32 weeks but have arranged for it to be covered by others. That takes 12 hours , is a bit hilly though.
Your sponsors will understand!

chillycurtains Sat 05-Mar-16 22:08:37

No, it's just not worth it at the end of the day. People will understand and you can do something to raise money for the cause after your baby is born.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now