Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Thrush

(11 Posts)
Mslg Fri 04-Mar-16 22:21:18

I'm 100% sure I have it. Told the pharmacist I have it and she wouldn't sell me anything OTC without me seeing the doctor. GP had no appointments so my only hope is to queue about 3 hours at the walk in centre tomorrow. 😫

I have some canesten cream upstairs, can I use it? Will it make much difference or should I just suck it up and queue tomorrow to see the doctor and get a prescription for a pessary? Can't take much more itching and burning!!

dementedpixie Fri 04-Mar-16 22:26:33

Can your dp/dh go get some for you? Doesn't need to admit you are pregnant wink

dementedpixie Fri 04-Mar-16 22:27:17

Although you would need to pay if he did that. Use canesten in the meantime

Carla42 Sat 05-Mar-16 05:58:10

Cream doesn't seem to do much - both doctor & GUM clinic have given me pessary to use in pregnancy. You can buy it over the counter

SummerDreams13 Sat 05-Mar-16 06:07:31

Agree with pp - you'll likely need a pessary (I did) but yes, the cream should be fine in the meantime. I certainly used it while I was waiting for an appt!

delilabell Sat 05-Mar-16 08:00:52

I've had thrush repeatedly through pregnancy. The nurse told me to get someone else to buy it for me as pharmacist won't give to obviously pregnant woman.
Cream and pessary can both be bought over counter but I was told don't use the applicator for the pessary as in a few cases it has gone up to far, but you can apply with fingers.

fluffypenguinbelly Sat 05-Mar-16 08:07:01

I am not the lentil weaving hippie type but honestly in my last pregnancy the pharmacist told me to not waste money on cream and go and buy probiotic yogurt. The one with the live bacteria. After 3 days no symptoms at all. So far I have used it twice this pregnancy as soon as I feel anything and I I haven't had any thrush. Might be worth a shot.

And just in case you are like my husband. You eat it, not apply it!

Baz13 Sat 05-Mar-16 08:08:02

I have just had thrush and went like you to the pharmacy and they said I needed GP consent to use the cream. I called 111 as it was the weekend and the GP took all the details and prescribed me with the cream (she faxed the prescription over) - it was only the 1% cream.
delilabell - The GP said they same about the applicator, they also do not recommend taking the tablet.

Hope you have got it sorted smile

ispymincepie Sat 05-Mar-16 08:09:08

Acidophilus capsules from Holland and Barratt. You can take them orally and vaginally and will help very quickly. They're just a concentrated form of the friendly bacteria in live yogurt etc....

seven201 Sat 05-Mar-16 08:19:25

Get someone else to go buy you the pessary. I've been prescribed it many times and I'm pregnant. As others say insert with a finger not the applicator. You can also by then on Amazon prime by the way! I didn't know you can use acidophilus tablets vaginally! I'm taking Optibac for women (someone on here recommended) everyday and I think it's helping - it's 'guaranteed' for the good bacteria to reach your vagina! Acidophilus didn't work for me, nor eating yoghurt every day (which I still do anyway just in case). I have also tried tea tree oil or vinegar in the bath. I also use the cream twice a day ever day in a kind of hope it helps to prevent a flare up. Mine just never goes properly so I use the pessaries when it gets bad and sometimes a pessary every other day (dr says fine to do if it's not going).

seven201 Sat 05-Mar-16 08:21:40

Sorry to clarify it's Optibac intaflora or something - not just the Optibac women one. Also apologies for using so many exclamation marks in my previous post.

!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now