Talk

Advanced search

Help have the coil fitted and I'm pregnant!

(19 Posts)
Ljess3 Fri 04-Mar-16 18:15:15

Hi all, I don't know what to do or how this is going to effect my pregnancy going forward. I had a baby girl 15 October and had the coil fitted in January, as we were not planning to have another one quite yet. But I've found out today I am pregnant, inspite of having the coil fitted. I can't get an appointment with doctor until Monday. Anyone know if I need to have the coil removed ASAP? I know there are certain risks with ectopic pregnancy, will the doctor refer me straight to maternity to find out what kind of pregnancy I have?

dementedpixie Fri 04-Mar-16 21:57:37

What sort of coil? If it's the mirena it should definitely be removed as it could endanger the pregnancy

Ljess3 Fri 04-Mar-16 22:11:29

Yes I'm sure it is the mirena! I had it in before and had no issues with it and no periods so I thought I would have it again! I just can't believe I've caught and so soon after my daughter. I also had a section with her, and I've read that you shouldn't get pregnant within a year of having one as it can cause problems too! So stressed out

bippitybopityboo Fri 04-Mar-16 22:30:22

I would call your early pregnancy unit as they will be able to give you the best out of hours advice. Good luck!

BettyBleue Sat 05-Mar-16 01:09:19

Yes, definitely go to your EPU, your GP would only refer you to them anyway. They should be open on a Saturday. I suggest you get down there as soon as they open. They hopefully should scan you and maybe they can remove the coil at the same time, though I'm not sure how it works. I know that it is possible to get pregnant on the coil and have a perfectly healthy baby. There is a TV presenter, Cherry Healey who became pregnant on the coil and her baby was fine. I also know there are women who become pregnant straight after a C-section and their babies are fine. Let us know how you get on.

Jenjen85 Sat 05-Mar-16 08:55:08

I got pregnant in December with the copper coil in due to it moving down so not protecting me. My Dr sent me straight to hospital for bloods/scan to see what was happening as I'd had some pain on my left side. Turns out baby was fine but had my coil out that same week as can cause infection/miscarriage. Had 3 scans in the space of 4 weeks to check baby's growth. I'm now 14wks 3days. It's a huge shock at first as when you have the coil put in you don't expect it yes I know no contraception is 100%

Ljess3 Sat 05-Mar-16 11:53:46

Thanks all. Very unexpected to say the least! Glad everything turned out OK for you Jen. My partner is worried I won't be able to cope already having a 4 month old and worried about the financial impact it is going to have. I think he wants me to terminate it, but he's not said it in so many words. Head is all over the place. I can't get in anywhere until Monday tried ringing the ward at the Hospital and they are really busy. So going to have to sit tight until then I suppose xx

Jenjen85 Sat 05-Mar-16 12:01:27

We have a 2.5yr old and only have 2 bedrooms and are unable to move but we are going to cope. You will cope too. As I found out over Christmas I was pregnant I couldn't get in anywhere due to the bank holidays. Just go to the EPU or your Dr's first thing on Monday. The wait is awful but Monday will soon be here. X

dementedpixie Sat 05-Mar-16 12:09:11

I hope you get seen soon as being pregnant with the mirena still in place can be dangerous. From the patient info leaflet:

Call your healthcare provider right away if you think you are pregnant. If you get pregnant while using Mirena, you may have an ectopic pregnancy. This means that the pregnancy is not in the uterus. Unusual vaginal bleeding or abdominal pain may be a sign of ectopic pregnancy.
Ectopic pregnancy is a medical emergency that often requires surgery. Ectopic pregnancy can cause internal bleeding, infertility, and even death.
There are also risks if you get pregnant while using Mirena and the pregnancy is in the uterus. Severe infection, miscarriage, premature delivery, and even death can occur with pregnancies that continue with an intrauterine device (IUD). Because of this, your healthcare provider may try to remove Mirena, even though removing it may cause a miscarriage. If Mirena cannot be removed, talk with your healthcare provider about the benefits and risks of continuing the pregnancy.
If you continue your pregnancy, see your healthcare provider regularly. Call your healthcare provider right away if you get flu-like symptoms, fever, chills, cramping, pain, bleeding, vaginal discharge, or fluid leaking from your vagina. These may be signs of infection.
It is not known if Mirena can cause long-term effects on the fetus if it stays in place during a pregnancy.

Ljess3 Sat 05-Mar-16 14:49:53

Oh my gosh I didn't realise it could get that bad. Thank you for the info. I've not had any symptoms other than pregnancy symptoms. When I rang my Doctor they didn't seem that concerned!! I'm really in two minds to maybe go to the A&E department and getting refferred that way.

Ljess3 Sat 05-Mar-16 23:34:43

Just an update. Went to gaenocology department this evening. They can't find the coil. Have to go back Monday for scan to find coil and do also see what type of pregnancy I have. Thanks for your input guys

Mammabear31 Mon 07-Mar-16 18:11:36

How did you get on today OP? X

Ljess3 Mon 07-Mar-16 19:12:58

they rang me this morning to say "sorry as there is no senior registrar available we will have to re arrange" so I have to wait until Wednesday morning now!! Which is not good!

BettyBleue Sat 12-Mar-16 09:40:20

Ljess, how did things go on Wednesday?

JessL3 Sat 12-Mar-16 10:59:25

Hello, went and had a scan. They couldn't find the coil anywhere... They said I could have passed it or perhaps it's behind the placenta. They don't seem too concerned as it's the marrina & not the copper coil. I did have a shock however as they said I was 13+4 days gone!! I feel like I've been let down by my doctor as I had my coil fitted and had a smear on 22nd Jan so I would have already been pregnant and she didn't carry out a test with me. X

dementedpixie Sat 12-Mar-16 11:03:20

Mirena is worse for a pregnancy than the copper coil. Maybe it has come out then. Can't believe they didn't make sure you weren't pregnant before fitting it though.

dementedpixie Sat 12-Mar-16 11:05:12

I had an internal scan with the probe thing and an X-ray to find mine. Not looking forward to getting it removed when it runs out as the strings can't be found any more

JessL3 Sat 12-Mar-16 11:27:05

Oh did you, where did they find it? They're just not at all concerned it's like they don't care because they couldn't find it on the scan. The doctor I seen said I'd need to see a consultant but then rang me and said the consultant dosent want to see me and to go down the normal root of pregnancy to see midwife etc. I can't believe they didn't do a test either! I know this may sound bad but if they did then I probably would have terminated it, but as I'm so far along and she showed me on screen the baby I just can't go though with that now. It's like a proper little baby in there and she said it's perfectly healthy xx

dementedpixie Sat 12-Mar-16 11:30:26

It was still in place but the strings had gone through the cervix so couldn't be seen or touched. Better still be there or I will be ending up with more babies too! Hope all goes well with your surprise pregnancy flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now