Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Braxton hicks at 16 weeks? Advice?

(8 Posts)
emmabrown123 Fri 04-Mar-16 13:04:20

I'm 16+4 with #2. Have had a stomach bug since early this morning but all symptoms seem to have died down now. Have started getting occasional tightenings which feel like Braxton Hicks. Is it possible to get them this early? Only had them at the very end of pregnancy with DS1.

Wondering whether it could be due to being sick, or maybe being dehydrated? Any advice gratefully received.

KayTee87 Fri 04-Mar-16 13:10:11

I think its probably due to dehydration. Always phone the midwife if you're unsure.

Everythinggettingbigger Fri 04-Mar-16 13:54:51

apparently it is possible to get Braxton Hicks as early as 16 weeks but as kay said called a midwife if you feel unsure. flowers

almmummy Fri 04-Mar-16 13:56:28

Mine started fairly early with my second pregnancy, can't remember exactly but around that time I believe. I think perhaps you are tuned in more to what's going on and the muscles are more efficient having pushed a baby out before. That said, do double check - I'm sure I remember reading they can start at 16 weeks but don't take my word as gospel.

MintyBojingles Fri 04-Mar-16 16:00:04

Phone the midwife, and get checked for a UTI- I had braxton hicks last pregnancy around then, but it turned out it was a uti with no other symptoms. Course of antibiotics and I was fine. Just go get checked cos UTIs can cause premature labor, and if you e had a tummy bug you'd be more at risk IMO.

Try and drink as much as you can.

emmabrown123 Fri 04-Mar-16 18:31:14

Thanks for the replies. Couldn't get in touch with midwife but had a telephone consultation with GP who said not to worry and to drink plenty of fluids. So that's what I'm doing!!

MintyBojingles Sat 05-Mar-16 17:57:14

Great, hope you feel better today.

almmummy Sun 06-Mar-16 09:03:53

I'm hoping my ever-present BH mean a super quick and easy delivery - here's hoping for both of us!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now