Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnant with cervical stitch after previous loss

(24 Posts)
Harveyrabbit76 Fri 04-Mar-16 12:45:25

Hi
Hoping someone can calm me down! I lost a healthy child at 20 weeks last year due to cervical incompetance and I am now happily 16 weeks pregnant again (after years of infertility and a less than 5% chance of conceiving). I had a high shirodkar stitch placed 2 weeks ago and I wondered if anyone was having the same journey or if there are any success stories out there! I am pretty much feeling scared every day and although I try to stay off Google, i just have nightmares about everything that could go wrong! Please help! :-)

Girlwithnoname1 Fri 04-Mar-16 21:27:12

Hello - I'm 29 wks after losing a baby at 17 weeks due to the same thing about 4 years ago - had a stitch put in at 21 weeks & scans weekly xx

Dixiechick17 Fri 04-Mar-16 21:46:57

So sorry for your previous loss. I managed to avoid the stitch, but was monitored and had progesterone pessaries throughout the pregnancy, I went to 40+4. A family friend had the stitch at 16 weeks though and had her baby at 34 weeks a few months ago, baby is doing great. Hope everything goes well with your pregnancy x

Impatientwino Fri 04-Mar-16 22:34:38

So sorry for your loss. My SIL had a cervical stitch put in which was removed at term and she actually went nearly 2 weeks overdue with her little one.

Harveyrabbit76 Sat 05-Mar-16 19:13:03

Hi everyone
Thanks so much for the replies. I had my 16 week mnidwife appointment today which ws fine but I wasn't scanned meaning my cervix was also not looked at. Am I right to be worried? I do have a consultant appointment in 2 weeks but I think that is too long.
Thanks again and sorry for your loss too Girlwithnoname1 xx

chestylaroo Tue 08-Mar-16 08:16:38

Hi there ... Sat here at 23 weeks with my second shridokar stitch placed at 14 weeks... My first was uneventful.. Placed at 16 weeks, Removed at 36 weeks.. Induced at term after not budging from 1-2cm dilated after removal. I now have a healthy 7 month old boy from my first stitch... Got pregnant again rather ermm.... quickly and despite the trauma my cervix has endured over the past year I'm holding at a brilliant 3cm like last time ... There's a good success rate for the type of stitch we have so fingers crossed for us all !

Harveyrabbit76 Tue 08-Mar-16 13:11:54

Hi chestylaroo!

That is such great news, congratulations on both! although blimey, that was quick work! wink
I have just been to see my lovely consultant who scanned everything for the first time since the op and everything is holding and fine! Feel a bit less nervous but still hard to relax. I am my own worst nightmare!
Were you able to exercise etc with your stitch or did you take things easy?
Thanks again for the reply and fingers crossed for you!! xx

chestylaroo Tue 08-Mar-16 13:45:35

Hi again.

No restrictions either time on anything I was just told not to go climbing any mountains etc and go on holidays in this country near a hospital with a good NICU just incase wink. I chose not to go back to work and occupational health agreed as I'm a nurse and would be on my feet all day. I think a sit down job would of been fine. I personally took it easy the first time round because like you, it was the Unknown but this time I've decided to be a little more active and will be more so after I've passed a few personal milestones i.e 28 weeks. Feel free to ask me anything x

DixieNormas Tue 08-Mar-16 13:50:12

hi, I lost a baby at 20 weeks 4 years ago due to incompetent cervix. Had a McDonald's stitch at 14 weeks in the next pg, also progesterone suppositories. Stitch was removed at 35 weeks and baby was born by elcs at 38 weeks. He has just turned 3

Ludways Tue 08-Mar-16 13:55:05

A friend of mine had her first baby at 23 weeks, she had s cervical stitch for baby two and went 42 weeks. Both are strapping teenagers now.

JessieMcJessie Tue 08-Mar-16 13:57:42

Hi. I hope this isn't too insensitive and my condolences to those who lost babies due to cervical incompetence. I wonder if any of you had any risk factors for the condition? I ask because my Mum lost my brother due to cervical incompetence- he was born at around 28 weeks and died 4 days later (1970s). I am 14 weeks pg with my first and terrified this may also happen to me but the consultant says it's not hereditary and is usually caused by either previous cervical surgery/ birth trauma or an infection.

I can't ask my Mum as she passed away 2 years ago.

Thanks and flowers

keys27 Tue 08-Mar-16 13:59:28

Hi Hun thought I'd post I'm also 16 weeks and had stitch last Tuesday. I'm extremely worried as well my youngest was born at 27 weeks then had a brain bleed. My eldest was born 32 weeks and had 3 miscarriages. I see my midwife yesterday she wasn't really reassuring she just kept saying if I get to 36 weeks if I make it that far so come away feeling unreasured thank god for forums like this because sometimes you feel so alone xx

Loungingbutnotforlong Tue 08-Mar-16 14:09:20

Hello, I lost my eldest son at 22weeks 8 years ago. For subsequent 2 pregnancies I had the stitch put in at 12 weeks and now have 2 very healthy DCs. both came the same day the stitch was taken out, at 36 weeks and 38 weeks respectively. If it offers any comfort, my DD was over 10lbs when she was born, and that stitch still held grin flowers for you, as it is a stressful time. I went on lock down mode and rested up a lot- no exercise, took it very easy- very worth it in the end. X

MrsPear Tue 08-Mar-16 14:17:06

Hi I had a stitch at 17 weeks and those awful suppositories. I took it very easy as per consultants advice - no swimming, no heavy lifting and not walking too much. I was already a sahm but would have stopped work. I still went into labour early (9 weeks as oppose to ds1 at 10) but the baby is now a healthy three year old.

MrsCrankypants Tue 08-Mar-16 14:25:59

I lost my first DD after going into labour at 23 weeks. This was put down to cervical incompetence so I had a stitch placed at 13 weeks on DD2 and also had progesterone injections because of this and IVF conception. I was convinced I wouldn't make it past 28 weeks and made mini goals to get past to keep me focused on the short term. I had the stitch taken out at 35 weeks and I was told "it had been working hard as I was dilated a little already". I then had an EMCS at 36 weeks for slow growth. DD2 was 5lb and came straight home with me. You'll get so many success stories here, as hard as it is try and stay calm and positive, the stitch really does work!

Harveyrabbit76 Tue 08-Mar-16 14:32:01

Thanks for all the replies, sorry for everyone's loss and congrats to all the successes. Its makes me feel much better and I am sure anyone else reading it! But what a hard journey its been for everyone to get this far!

Just to let you all also know that I had really bad cramping yesterday which sent me spiraling into massive google searches and a panic attack but the consultant reassured me that this was normal and just everything was stretching. This was also what i had read but imagination plays tricks! Also, the baby is basically resting against/kicking my bladder meaning pressure and going to the toilet continually. Hope that helps if anyone having same thing.

i think i am going to write this all down in a diary and if the baby when a teenager (hopefully!) becomes difficult then I am going to make them read what I went through, ha ha wink

chestylaroo - thanks! I have a office job so just taking it easy. No exercise but I think that is more my choice. I think I will be more relaxed after 28 weeks! Its exhausting though. I don't even want to leave the house some days which is pathetic.

JessieMcJessie - don't worry about being insensitive, you're not and I think you should be able to ask questions. I am pretty sure its not hereditary, I have had a few ops for fibroids/Asherman's syndrome (one pierced my uterus) and 3 failed rounds of IVF plus an abortion quite a few years ago. You should be fine but badger for more monitoring until you feel relaxed. I saw Dr Gibb in Harley Street who checked my cervix and suitability for a stitch (he then did it) but I am sure there are NHS consultants that could give you a 2nd opinion? (Nick Wales based in London?). I wouldnt think you would need one. I'm sorry for the loss of your mum too x

keys27 - the last midwife I saw wasn't particuarly helpful either. Do you have a good consultant? What sort of stitch did you have?

keys27 Tue 08-Mar-16 14:34:41

So reassuring it's my goal to take this baby home this time and not be discharge and spend every day in scbu. Am so anxious though. 17'weeks on Sunday already massive

keys27 Tue 08-Mar-16 14:41:08

I do have a good consultant I'm also under kings so their scanning me every 3 weeks first scan on Monday after stitch went in. Inhave two consultants I am lucky. I'm not sure what stitch they just said cervical stitch to me it's like a ribbon? I've been getting bad cramps since having it in but mine got infected so I'm still recovering.
Counting the days down until Monday tbh to check,length etc. I had no warning when my 2 were born my waters broke but I didn't know. Then their limbs fell through my cervix even though my cervix was closed when I was admitted. My consultant at Kings said its was most prob weakening on the inside which was not visible on the outside until it was to late and rushed down for emergency c sections with both. I am determined to enjoy this pregnancy but after all the miscarriages and my prems I'm finding it hard to get excited! X

chestylaroo Tue 08-Mar-16 16:43:52

Jessiemcjessie... I think it can happen for many reasons ... Age, Weakness after multiple births, surgery, D&C's. mine was because I had loop diathermy twice for high grade pre cancerous cells. I don't think that it's genetic. Your midwife will identify any risk factors at your booking appointment and you should be seen at 12-14 weeks

I too set my mini goals .. I'm waiting for 24 weeks next week and I also have 4 weekly ultrasound checks which would change if there was anything adverse seen like funnelling. I'm supposed to be going back work next week but as it gets closer I'm thinking its maybe safer just to get signed off again as much as work will hate me for it. shock

Good luck to everyone !

keys27 Tue 08-Mar-16 19:57:42

Mine was because I have a heart shaped womb xxx

Dixiechick17 Tue 08-Mar-16 21:41:21

Jessie mine was due to loop treatment to remove pre cancerous cells, I only had the treatment once, so was lucky to be checked.

Harveyrabbit76 Mon 21-Mar-16 10:30:59

Hi
I just wanted to give an update in case it helps anyone. Last Thursday I walked too quickly and pulled something so I started getting a throbbing pain around my left hipbone, I also started feeling sore around my vagina and pelvic area as if I had been riding a horse. I then also passed a very small ball of (sorry for tmi!) jelly discharge which google told me was possibly my mucus plug (thanks google). I started going into complete meltdown especially as I am only 2 weeks off where I lost my baby last time. Luckily I had an appointment with my consultant on the Friday but by then I was in bits and convinced I was going to miscarry. Nothing could calm me down not even my poor husband. Anyway, consultant looked at baby, all was completely fine, normal fluid levels, cervix completely closed, but baby very tight and resting feet on bladder/using it as a springboard. Embarrassingly/reassuringly I was told that I was probably constipated, also everything was very tight especially as I have a stitch so any stretching pains etc might be worse. I also had been having sharp pains as if my vagina was going to fall out(!) and I was told that this may be the baby kicking against the stitch (thanks god for a shirodkar!!). Bizarrely I started feeling better almost straight away and after going to the loo, the pain completely went and none since. I just wanted to let people know this as I think it is amazing at how how brains work in making things seem worse then they are. Obviously do get checked out but also try and stay calm, well, calmer then me anyway! :-) I also learnt not to google symptoms obsessively as you are not going to find the reassuring story you are looking for. Good luck!

chestylaroo Mon 21-Mar-16 10:49:31

I'm glad your all ok. Unfortunately not so brilliant news from my end. I'm currently admitted with regular contractions/tightenings since yesterday. Have had two doses of Dex for baby and waiting for a TV scan... Hoping it's not caused any damage ... My TV scan was completely fine last Monday confused

Harveyrabbit76 Mon 21-Mar-16 11:12:44

Hi chestylaroo

Sorry to hear that. Are you nearly 26 weeks now? Fingers crossed and wishing all the best for you both. At least you are in the right place, keep us posted if you can. Best wishes xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now