Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Will I need maternity swimwear at 16 weeks pregnant?

(32 Posts)
Lucinda15 Thu 03-Mar-16 15:52:31

Tentatively asking this question as I'm a bit ahead of the game, only 7 weeks pregnant at the mo but we have a holiday coming up in May. I need a new cozzy anyway as I have put on weight and gone up a size since last summer blush

I will be 16 weeks pregnant when we go away and I'm wondering if I can get away with a standard cozzy, or whether I should bite the bullet and get a maternity cozzy that I can continue to use throughout pregnancy? I just dnt want it to be all saggy and too big it my bump is not very big by then. Any ideas?

(To be fair I'm a size 16 and a bit larger than I'd like after my weight gain - it seems to have collected around my tum which is quite big even now so I'm sure I cld fill a maternity cozzy but thgt I'd check what u lovely mumsnetters thought smile)

mudandmayhem01 Thu 03-Mar-16 15:57:38

I never had a maternity costume, had a two piece from decathlon with boy shorts that went under my bump.

Carla42 Thu 03-Mar-16 15:58:11

I was in a maternity swimsuit at 8 weeks...! Not because I particularly needed it but all my pre-pregnancy swimsuits were small and fashion-style rather than practical.

It was (and still is a little at 19 weeks) baggy around the stomach but it was comfortable and supportive. I would go for it, especially if you'll be swimming during pregnancy. I don't think it looked unsightly when I wore mine early.

Ohwoolballs Thu 03-Mar-16 16:01:18

Hello, congrats on the pregnancy!
I needed a maternity costume by 16 weeks as my boobs had got massive and I had a tummy pooch by then. I'm still wearing the same one at 37 weeks as they have a lot of stretch as you would expect.
I got a tankini set from asos (mega bargain IMO) the pants sit very comfy under my bump though as its a halter neck I have started to feel like my neck is holding up my boobs 😬😳

Long story, get one, it will feel flattering on holiday and you can wear it through the rest of the pregnancy.

FraterculaArctica Thu 03-Mar-16 16:02:39

At 16 weeks with my first pregnancy I'd put on some weight but had no bump at all. The maternity swimming costume I wore later in pregnancy wouldn't have fitted at all well. I'd buy one maybe a size bigger than you would have bought otherwise and wear that?

oldlaundbooth Thu 03-Mar-16 16:02:53

Congrats flowers

Nope, you'll be fine in a normal one. Enjoy!

Eminybob Thu 03-Mar-16 16:04:38

I had one I bought for a trip at 18 weeks. It was fine, just had a bit of rouching but wasn't baggy.
I still use it now (post pregnancy) tbh sometimes and I don't think it looks maternity-like.

Branleuse Thu 03-Mar-16 16:05:00

depends how big your belly is I guess.
Can you just get a bikini then it doesnt need to be maternity?

MissMalteser Thu 03-Mar-16 16:11:14

I got one early on that I am still using now at nearly 37 weeks, I figured it would be handy for the hospital if I wanted to jump in the birthing pool as well, last time I wore a vest top that felt crap when wet and kept rolling up

Lucinda15 Thu 03-Mar-16 16:16:42

Hmmm mixed bag! Unfortunately my tum is quite rotund as it is blush after my last pregnancy I just haven't been able to get rid of it and all weight gain seems to accumulate there! hiding behind my hands in shame so I think I may buy a maternity one and go with it!! I will be swimming throughout pregnancy so seems worth it rather than spending on a normal one I won't fit in for long perhaps....

And yes, it's got to be a cozzy....there is no way I can unleash this tum on the public!!

Junosmum Thu 03-Mar-16 16:19:37

I had a fancy 50s style shorts bottom one which had a gathered affected on the stomach. It still fitted me at 38 weeks, though the gathering/pleats on the stomach weren't there any more!

BennyTheBall Thu 03-Mar-16 16:24:26

I went on holiday at 28 weeks pregnant and didn't need any maternity swimwear.

I just bought some bikinis that had bigger top halves to accommodate my boobs.

Nottalotta Thu 03-Mar-16 16:24:56

I'd say no. A friends kindly gave me her unused cozzie and i count wear it til i was about 30weeks pregnant. And i wasn't small! I wasn't showing at 16week though. I would buy a normal one with boob support.

KatharinaRosalie Thu 03-Mar-16 16:44:14

No, I found that pregnancy is the perfect time to wear bikinis, no worries about wobbly stomach, you can proudly show off the bump instead.

BikeRunSki Thu 03-Mar-16 16:54:03

If you are likely to swim later in pregnancy, then why not? I got mine from eBay both times!

MissMalteser Thu 03-Mar-16 16:55:37

Ah now mine is a tankini/shirts combo so easy to use in the birthing pool as well, just whip the bottoms off when required 😂

SpecialStains Thu 03-Mar-16 17:03:22

I'd probably be OK in non maternity, but I suddenly have boobs so whereas I've never worried about such things before, I might need some more support (16 weeks 1 day today).

5hell Thu 03-Mar-16 17:58:31

i'd vote tankini...mat or not, your choice. I have a maternity one which is still fine at 36w, but wouldn't have been inappropriately big at 16w

foxessocks Thu 03-Mar-16 18:06:56

I'm 14 weeks and definite bump. I need a maternity costume now really as I can't squeeze into my normal one much longer (it was on the tight side anyway though! )

Luckily I have one in the loft from my first pregnancy if I can just get my dh to being the box of maternity wear down for me.

OhShutUpThomas Thu 03-Mar-16 18:16:51

I'm 16 weeks and no bump at all.

Everyone's different - but I'd say no, they're stretchy anyway.

Congratulations!

winewolfhowls Thu 03-Mar-16 19:29:08

Top and tankini here too

magpie17 Thu 03-Mar-16 19:58:36

I didn't have a bump til over 20 weeks so just wore normal swimwear. Later on I wore my normal tankini but I'm not a regular swimmer so maternity swimwear seemed like a waste of money.

malvinandhobbes Thu 03-Mar-16 21:13:43

I just bought one at 19 weeks. I have a sizeable bump but mostly I have ginormous boobs and my normal swimsuit would have been obscene.

suz1rr Thu 03-Mar-16 21:31:37

I've just bought one, when I was 22 weeks (25 now) as normal swimsuit was getting a bit tight, and I'm not particularly big bump wise. Got a cheap one from Asda and is a lot more comfortable. I'm not brave enough for a bikini!

SummerHouse Thu 03-Mar-16 21:35:39

I was still swimming at 40 weeks plus in my usual costume. They are stretchy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now