Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

mucus plug?

(10 Posts)
Newfamily2014 Thu 03-Mar-16 15:40:20

Sorry for the daft question. I am 38+5 weeks pregnant. Today my Consultant examined my cervix and said its length is 2cm, soft and still posterior. She did a sweep and was easily able to pass fingers into the cervix.

At home I went for a wee. On wiping I had some clear, runny-isn jelly on the paper. I think this might just be the jelly from when she examined me (the jelly put onto her glove) rather than a show. What do you think?

underrugsswept Thu 03-Mar-16 15:41:51

My plug looked exactly like sloppy jelly - imagine it wasn't properly set so it lost its shape - and was straw coloured. Sounds promising!

Newfamily2014 Thu 03-Mar-16 16:42:17

oohh! and how long after that did you go into labour?
Mine was very clear so still not sure if it wasn't just jelly from her glove..

lynholmerpark Thu 03-Mar-16 16:43:51

Possibly jelly from examination. Mucous plug usually tingled with streaks of blood and looks like snot!

underrugsswept Thu 03-Mar-16 19:07:00

My plug didn't have any blood in it at all. It did look like very thick snot/sloppy jelly. I lost it over about 48 hours, only small bits at first then the last one was huge and covered the whole gusset in my knickers. I went into labour about 6 hours after that one. I didn't see any blood until I was on the shower an hour or two after my contractions started and a small amount dropped out (about a 50p size with some stringy bits).

Newfamily2014 Thu 03-Mar-16 19:16:27

Just been to wee again and noticed small amount of clearish/creamish discharge on gusset so wiped before wee and some on paper. This time it does look like snot and different from the first discharge I described.

If it is some of the plug, what does that mean?!

spacefrog35 Thu 03-Mar-16 19:21:56

Sadly it doesn't mean a lot. Some people lose their plugs weeks before baby arrives, some don't lose it until they're in the process of delivering the baby!

Newfamily2014 Thu 03-Mar-16 19:24:46

Thanks spacefrog35 so presumably if someone does lose their plug it doesn't cause an increased risk of infection for the baby?
it is something to call the MW about?

spacefrog35 Thu 03-Mar-16 20:06:14

If it's worrying you & you need some reassurance then by all means give her a ring. If you've got no other signs and you're not desperately concerned then to be honest, I probably wouldn't. There is a very small risk of infection but I believe that tends only to be if you lose your plug earlier - I'm not medically qualified though so happy to be corrected if anyone knows different grin

Runningupthathill82 Thu 03-Mar-16 20:17:36

Mucus plugs can also grow back, so losing some of it doesn't mean much. A friend of mine lost hers in parts from 35 weeks - her DD was born at 40+10.
Mine came out in stages from 39 weeks, DD born at 40+2.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now