Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sweeps, how long for labour?

(16 Posts)
CommanderShepherd Thu 03-Mar-16 11:55:44

It's baby's due date tomorrow, no signs of he/she coming, by chance I've got my 40wk appointment with the midwife tomorrow and she has said that she can do a sweep for me. I'm going to go ahead with it. My question is did your sweeps work and if so, how long till labour started?

Everythinggettingbigger Thu 03-Mar-16 12:00:36

sweeps don't always work unfortunately. Unless your body is near ready for labour anyway, it probably wont work. I had 3 with my DS, started from 38 weeks, then at 39 weeks then at 40+3.....the first 2 didn't really do much, I had a few aches and pains, but I had been having them since week 35 anyway, I had my first contraction an hour after the 3rd sweep!

I had problems with delivery so have been advised they will start sweeps from 36 weeks this time, but I am under no illusion it will work if my body and the baby aren't ready anyway.

Good Luck! even if it doesn't work you aren't far off the end and meeting your little bundle of joy anyway! flowers

hufflebottom Thu 03-Mar-16 12:04:42

With dd 1 they had to induce me and a sweep didn't work just made me feel really uncomfortable.

Dd2 arrived the day of my sweep.

fleabagmonkey Thu 03-Mar-16 12:11:21

With DS I had a sweep Friday but had to be induced Monday and with DD I had a sweep then baby came 16 hours later! As PPs have said it really depends on how close to labour you are already, the sweep just tips you over the edge.

Ludways Thu 03-Mar-16 12:17:42

3 sweeps with dc2 didn't work and were very painful. Wouldn't recommend. Although I assume others have a different story.

Sanch1 Thu 03-Mar-16 12:37:45

My midwife attempted a sweep at 39+6 with DD, I was so un-ready that she poked around for ages and could barely find my cervix. Waters broke 8 hours later.......could have been a coincidence though. And it blooming well hurt!

MrsZumbaDancer Thu 03-Mar-16 19:51:51

I had a sweep at 5.30pm and DS was born at 9pm!

Runningupthathill82 Thu 03-Mar-16 20:14:08

I was ready for a sweep - already 2cm dilated and very "favourable", apparently, but DD didn't turn up until 8 days later.
It didn't hurt a bit. Felt much like a smear test, only less uncomfortable as there were no hard instruments involved.

OpposableThumbs2 Thu 03-Mar-16 20:23:24

I had a stretch (couldn't manage a sweep) last week at 40+1. Nothing happened. Had a stretch and sweep at 10am yesterday at 41+1. DD2 was born at lunch time today.

PeaceLoveAndJaffaCakes Thu 03-Mar-16 20:33:02

Had a sweep at 5pm and DS was born at noon the next day. I was 2cm dilated already at 38+4 though.

CommanderShepherd Thu 03-Mar-16 21:52:36

I've got my fingers crossed. I was convinced I was having mild cramp like pains earlier. Now kid is jumping all over the place and my belly feels tight?

Dixiechick17 Thu 03-Mar-16 22:38:58

I had a sweep at 37 weeks and was 1cm dilated and favourable, and had another sweep at 40 weeks, this time 2-3cm, could stretch to 4cm if she wanted, again favourable... went into natual labour at 40+5, thankfully a pretty quick labour too.

CommanderShepherd Thu 03-Mar-16 22:53:40

I'm Still having the cramp like feelings. I hope this is it! No show or waters though confused

OpposableThumbs2 Thu 03-Mar-16 23:07:55

My waters/show went less than an hour before delivery.

Dixiechick17 Thu 03-Mar-16 23:20:03

Fingers crossed for you, I had dull cramping for a couple of hours before my waters started to go smile

CommanderShepherd Fri 04-Mar-16 15:47:27

Had my sweep today, was a bit uncomfortable but hey what isn't at 40 weeks lol! Here's hoping baby makes an appearance in the next couple of days. I'm 1cm dilated apparently grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now