Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Doctors or EPU?

(19 Posts)
thehisuix Tue 01-Mar-16 17:56:27

So, I have a doctors appointment for Monday 7th but my mum is nagging me to go to the Early Pregnancy Clinic this week, honestly, what is the better option?

I really just want to find out how far along in the pregnancy I am already. {cant predict myself because of having suffered with very irregular periods}

Icklepickle101 Tue 01-Mar-16 18:00:11

I might be wrong but I thought you had to be 'invited' to the EPU either for reoccurring previous problems or concerns like bleeding etc. Not sure it's an alternative to seeing the GP.

Once you have seen the doctor they will invite you for a dating scan, it's not that far away now!

Stuffythedragon Tue 01-Mar-16 18:00:52

If it's dating reasons couldn't you book at a private clinic?

Primaryteach87 Tue 01-Mar-16 18:01:46

In quite a few areas of the country you can self refer to midwives, who will typically see you at 8-10 weeks after lmp and book you for a dating scan to see how far along you are.

slebmum1 Tue 01-Mar-16 18:07:26

You have to be referred to an epu here. You can go for a private scan though.

thehisuix Tue 01-Mar-16 18:12:21

I had a look online at my local EPU and it says "Referrals to the Unit may be: Self, GP, from Accident and Emergency Department or other health care providers", I figured "self" would mean myself going there? I'm confused. I think waiting for the doctors and having them guide me through it is easier.

CatsCantFlyFast Tue 01-Mar-16 18:13:44

EPU is not there just for figuring out how far along in your pregnancy you are. It's for issues during early pregnancy, such as threatened miscarriage. I'd strongly recommend not misusing this service when there are women who desperately need the service and often have to wait for an appointment

Snowberry86 Tue 01-Mar-16 18:14:48

Can you use a clearblue test that tells you how many weeks? Would give you a rough idea.

thehisuix Tue 01-Mar-16 18:18:07

Ah okay, sorry. I didnt mean to offend anyone. I only ask because my mum was saying about going as she thinks I'm 3 months pregnant and I felt like it wasnt worth it? And I find this place best for opinions/advice etc

CatsCantFlyFast Tue 01-Mar-16 18:19:48

Not offended! Have a look at baby bond private scans or go and see your GP - they'll be able to give you an idea (ie the difference between 6 weeks and 12 weeks) just by having a feel of your abdomen

1moretime Tue 01-Mar-16 18:23:24

Hello. Congratulations on your pregnancy. I only found out last Monday thst I am pregnant I like you have very irregular periods & so not sure how far along I am. I am going for a scan tomorrow - but thst iels only because I already had the appointment before I found out as doc wanted to check my ovaries, stomach & gallbladder out.
It's been a long week & a half & although I'm eager to know how far along I am I wouldn't go to the EPU unless I was bleeding or getting bad pains / cramp's.
I had a miscarriage 7 years ago so know how important these services & units are I'm time of need & emergencys.
I know it's a nightmare but just wait it out hun until you get your appointment through. X

thehisuix Tue 01-Mar-16 18:26:26

Really? Wow I learnt something new as this is my first time but I am just going to wait for my docs appointment for sure :-)

thehisuix Tue 01-Mar-16 18:28:01

Thanks @1moretime, dont worry I will :-) x

Carla42 Tue 01-Mar-16 18:37:12

Hi OP, would echo others comments about EPU. Are you booked for a dating scan? If it will put your mind at rest, you could pay £40 or so for a private scan.

Not sure if your doctors appointment is first in pregnancy but my initial appointment was v underwhelming. They didn't even do preg test and just referred to midwife for first appointment at 12 weeks and predicated due date on my last missed period date.

seven201 Tue 01-Mar-16 18:42:28

My friend hadn't had a period for six months. When she went to the gp, she said she thought she was 6 weeks ish due to taking pregnancy tests every few weeks (they were trying for a baby) the gp referred her for a scan and was rung back by the hospital to get her in soon due to her being six months pregnant. She wasn't, she did turn out to be six weeks ish. All I'm saying is that they'll probably arrange for you to have a scan soon. If I was in your position I would pay for a private scan just to put my mind at rest. If you are 12 weeks then it's getting a bit tight to book the 12 week scan that has a cut off date of 13 and a bit weeks I think for them to be able to get all the measurements.

nina99ballons Tue 01-Mar-16 18:42:47

I completely disagree with the above. GP will just send you along to the EPU for a dating scan if you're unsure of dates.

I would call the EPU and ask them. EPU near me would definitely do this and would book you an appointment time for the scan to save the wait. Especially if you think you're 12 weeks as they can squeeze you in for the 12 weeks scan before you miss the viable period. Congrats btw!

thehisuix Tue 01-Mar-16 18:53:11

I didnt think about calling actually (my brains a little slow today lol) I might do that and see what they suggest. :-)

thehisuix Tue 01-Mar-16 18:57:03

Honestly my last period was around Halloween but I took a test last month which was negative, however I did have congestion for four weeks and my nose is still stuffy now. So its been a little frustrating not knowing.

nina99ballons Tue 01-Mar-16 19:02:46

You definitely need a dating scan ASAP then if it's been four months since your last AF. It will be hard for the GP to do appropriate referrals for scans etc without dating info. Would probably be quicker to go privately though if you can afford it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now