Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

PROS of being induced.

(16 Posts)
BeautifulLiar Tue 01-Mar-16 12:45:00

I've got to be induced a week today (my due date) due to placental issues. My first baby was induced and the whole situation was horrible, though quick. I then had two home births and fully expected this to be another so I've been very anxious!

I was wondering if anyone could help make a pros list of being induced? It might help me and others... please, no negatives!!

Here are mine:

1) I know when I'll be in hospital so I've been able to book a deep clean for that day and we can come home to a lovely clean house

2) I can make sure legs etc are shaved in time!!

3) I have three other children so at least if I'm in hospital I will get a little break. The home births were fab, but within minutes of delivering I was cleaning the house/back to being mum

Any others?! smile

Seeyalater Tue 01-Mar-16 12:58:09

If you're being induced for the right reasons it can save your baby's life. Best reason I can think of wink hope it all goes smoothly.

BeautifulLiar Tue 01-Mar-16 13:01:36

Thank you - so set on a home birth I didn't really think of that blush

KittyandTeal Tue 01-Mar-16 13:07:19

Ooooo, I have no additions as my only induction wasn't a live birth.

However, I will possibly have to be induced before my due date with ds. I'd like to hear positives too.

I like the idea that I can have a set date, arrange child care for dd1 and give her lots of warning.

Is there anyone that had an induction that didn't need an epidural? I was pretty reliant on morphine by the end being induced with dd2 but my dm holds that that's probably because my body was no where near ready for labour.

Nicknamegrief Tue 01-Mar-16 13:12:16

I have a friend who has been induced for 4 births and has managed them with gas and air. Has never had a what she would describe as a 'difficult' birth (she has 6 children and one of those was 'difficult). She was induced due to obstetric cholestasis (?sp).
I have never been induced but about to have my 2nd planned section and the advantages are being able to sort childcare, plan things around the date etc etc.
Good luck.

CityMole Tue 01-Mar-16 13:13:45

If you really truly need to be induced for your baby's health, then that is the only PRO that you need!

other pros-

+ should you want one, I can't see you having to fight for an epidural.
+ you will be super-monitored. Whilst this might feel like the opposite of the un-medicalised home birth you were planning (not that there is any guarantee that these always go to plan), it will at least ensure you are getting really good care and regular checks
+ no worries about getting to hopsital and getting tunred away for not being dilated enough/ no worries about giving birth to the baby in the car on the way to hospital
+ you get to meet the baby earlier smile

I am generally quite anti-induction where it's done for convenience (which I think it is all too often) but if they are telling you there are serious potential placental issues then it's a no-brainer love flowers

5madthings Tue 01-Mar-16 13:14:22

I gave been induced for all mine, yes to being able to shave legs, wash hair and generally feel prepped, though that isn't really important but it made me feel better.

It made sorting childcare much easier.

Bring induced doesn't have to be awful, you can stil have an active labour and even use birth pool depending on how you are induced.

Also as you are an experienced birther your body knows what it's doing so it should be much quicker and easier than number one

The cleaner is a fab idea, plus maybe get some meals in the freezer? You can try and get some rest before then, plan date night with your husband? That kind of thing?

Good luck, I am 35wks with Dc6 and expecting to end up being induced again though spent most of last night on delivery as this baby was playing games... So I perhaps need to get a bit more organised and not assume this baby will be late!

5madthings Tue 01-Mar-16 13:16:59

My inductions wrre all natural active births with just gas and air once I got going, even the one time I needed the drip. And you don't have to have constant monitoring. I laboured in Bath with two, on birth ball, moved around and had one in birth pool. No interventions like forceps etc the labour's wrre all fine and straightforward.

Highlove Tue 01-Mar-16 13:20:51

Subsequent inductions are likely to be easier than the first.

Kitty - I didn't have an epidural for my induction. Did have a one-off dose of diamorphine which had worn off by the time I delivered. I think there's probably something in what your DM says...I'd lost my plug a week earlier and was already 2cm dilated when I was induced at 40wks. So I think close to going naturally. Labour was fairly quick and managable. In fact had I known how quick and straightforward it was going to be I'd not have bothered with the diamorphine - I was slightly pushed into it by a midwife and I just assumed it'd be 12+ hours and traumatic because it was a first baby (and everyone tells you first inductions are horrific!), so I wanted to get some sleep in. Best of luck to you.

bananastar Tue 01-Mar-16 13:24:47

I didn't have an epidural for my second induction. It all happened too fast. I had the pessary at half 7 and by half 10 I had a baby. I just had paracetamol and gas and air and it was fine. I didn't have any monitoring because there wasn't time

Monstamio Thu 03-Mar-16 16:39:46

- No lumbering about at 41.5 weeks wondering whether you're ever going to have this baby
- No risk of ruining your bed/sofa/car seat when your waters go
- Comfortable drive into hospital at your leisure - no balancing on one buttock while clinging to the dashboard and glaring at white van men
- Someone else will clear up afterwards!

KittyandTeal Thu 03-Mar-16 18:28:27

I'm loving these pro points.

I'm a long way off but unless I go naturally before 40 weeks it'll be one or the other and I worry about having a newborn and a preschooler after a c section

BeautifulLiar Fri 04-Mar-16 07:45:12

Thank you everyone, and Kitty hope this thread helped you too!

I don't have to have the induction! Baby Nancy was born yesterday weighing 6lb, she's a beaut smile

KittyandTeal Fri 04-Mar-16 17:32:39

Oh wow, what wonderful news. Huge congratulations to you and a beautiful name too

BeautifulLiar Fri 04-Mar-16 18:45:04

Thank you! Good luck with your baby smile

CityMole Fri 04-Mar-16 18:46:48

Congratulations! Gorgeous name. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now