Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Help with toxoplasmosis blood test results

(5 Posts)
GaryWilmotsWedding Mon 29-Feb-16 14:18:53

Hello, can anyone help me understand my blood test results? I went to a clinic that basically just does the test without any consultation and although I understand I do not have a current or recent infection, can anyone tell me what the IgG result indicates? I thought if I was not immune it would state 'negative' for IgG or if I had immunity would state 'positive' for IgG? Can there be just a small amount of antibodies?! Anyone who has had the test or understands all things science-y better than me - I'd love to hear from you! Results below. Many thanks!

Toxoplasma IgG abs: 0.10 IU/ml (Equivocal 1.6 - 3.0)

Toxoplasma IgM ab : Negative

ffauxlivia Mon 29-Feb-16 15:24:12

This may help you: www.cdc.gov/dpdx/toxoplasmosis/dx.html (table at the bottom)

Are you outside of the UK? When I was pregnant in France I had this test. From my understanding your results mean you have no current infection and no past infection, so don't have immunity. That is pretty standard for women the UK - I know in France it's more common for women to get it because of the amount of raw meat eaten. Hope that helps? Maybe someone with more scientific knowledge can be a bit more specific!

ffauxlivia Mon 29-Feb-16 15:26:39

actually this website makes it a bit easier to understand: labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/toxoplasmosis/tab/test/

GaryWilmotsWedding Mon 29-Feb-16 15:35:44

Thanks for this, and for the links. That was my understanding too, just puzzled as to why it isn't 'negative' but is 0.10 IU/ml. I guess that is 'negative' if you refer to the parameters on the right but not clear why there would be just be a low level of antibodies. I'm in the UK, but eat a HUGE amount of raw/rare meat (when not pregnant!) and have always had cats so suspected I would be immune. Looks like I'm not though! Thanks for your help.

ffauxlivia Mon 29-Feb-16 15:38:39

Maybe everybody just has a tiny bit in their system and that's normal? I can't remember my results but I think they were very similar

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now