Talk

Advanced search

Advice required - Birth abroad or stay in the UK??

(5 Posts)
Sdot1987 Mon 29-Feb-16 11:40:06

Hello all! Firstly I'm very new and fresh to this...I never knew this website existed until I recently discovered that I was pregnant :-D Credit to all those who write articles, reviews and replies to the forum as I've had an education to a world that I'm excited to join.

To try make a long story short I hope I can get some advice as I'm pretty confused at the moment. The father to my baby is Croatian and living in Croatia. The plan was that I will emigrate to Croatia in the near future. But now I've landed the bombshell that I'm pregnant the big question is whether to still go ahead to move to Croatia and have our baby there or do we stay in the UK for the birth?

NameChangeEr Mon 29-Feb-16 11:46:15

No idea about the health are out there, if it's NHS style or private/pay. If you don't speak the language fluently to be honest id have the baby here, can't imagine going through labour not speaking the language. You could always move out there for a few months if early pregancy, see how you feel and can always come back at say 30 weeks if more comfortable here

VimFuego101 Mon 29-Feb-16 11:49:06

have you lived in Britain all your life? Will you be able to pass on your British citizenship if you give birth outside of the country? (And if you give birth in the UK, will your partner be able to pass on Croation citizenship to the baby?).

Inkymess Mon 29-Feb-16 11:50:17

Depends what nationality you are and what you want the baby to be etc

Jade7392 Mon 29-Feb-16 11:52:04

I would only give birth in Croatia if you are originally from that country and intend to continue living there indefinitely have family over there etc.

If you are an English citizen I would advise giving birth in the uk so the child has UK citizenship. It makes things a lot easier and if you ever wanted to return it would be more complex if the baby had a different nationality to you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now