Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Heartburn - any tips?

(21 Posts)
BettyBi0 Sun 28-Feb-16 18:33:36

I'm really at my wits end with heartburn. Last pregnancy I was guzzling gaviscon like no-ones business so much that the smell now makes me feel physically sick.

I'm sucking on rennies all day long
I've tipped the head of my bed up a little and sleep on lots of pillows already
I'm already avoiding large rich meals

Is there anything better to try? Am I missing some kind of well known dietary triggers?

almostthirty Sun 28-Feb-16 18:36:37

I used to get really bad heartburn in the middle of the night. I found a remedy that worked every time completely by accident. 2 or 3 chocolate mini eggs sucked in the early hours when heartburn hit cleared it for the rest if the night.
It worked throughout the day too and tasted better than rennie!

Fluffy24 Sun 28-Feb-16 18:39:06

Gaviscon was the only thing that helped me, I literally kept a bottle within 3ft at all times. Can you try a different flavour so it smells different, they do a mint or an aniseed one?

ThursdayLastWeek Sun 28-Feb-16 18:41:35

I've managed mine this time with gaviscon, which is no help to you sorry.
Perhaps a call to your GP? You might be able to get something prescribed?

Gracey79 Sun 28-Feb-16 18:44:03

Not tried it myself but my friend had love hearts sweets and said they worked better than gaviscon etc

emilygremily Sun 28-Feb-16 18:46:50

Peppermint tea works for me smile

LittleFishBigOcean Sun 28-Feb-16 18:49:12

I tried everything but lived on rennies. I hate the greasy texture of gaviscon. I prefer the chalkiness of rennies.

And no, nothing eased it. Towards the end of my pregnancy I couldn't eat after about 6pm. Or drink. Even water. You wouldn't think water would turn into acid. envy

amysmummy12345 Sun 28-Feb-16 18:55:41

Rennies by the bucket load I'm afraid confused

CityMole Sun 28-Feb-16 19:08:48

Ranitidine/ Zantac. You can buy the 75g ones without prescription (I get the 150g tabs on prescription).

Colabottle10 Sun 28-Feb-16 19:35:53

I have some zantac in the cupboard but it said to check with dr if pregnant......is it safe? I'll try that if it is.

Brightside65 Sun 28-Feb-16 19:39:20

My mum used to swear by extra strong mints

1frenchfoodie Sun 28-Feb-16 19:47:09

Rennies are working for me though strangely only the square calcium carbonate + magnesium carbonate ones. The circular version (1 of the 2 previous ingredients only, can't remember which) only take the edge off. I find drinking milk helps too.

CityMole Sun 28-Feb-16 19:48:47

I suspect that may be typical packaging disclaimer, as all I had to do as mention it to my GP and she prescribed it for me.

Onthedowns Sun 28-Feb-16 19:52:28

Omeprozole from my GP helps me with gaviscon stops me waking at night with raging burning chest!

BettyBi0 Sun 28-Feb-16 21:45:06

Ooo I wish the mini eggs one works for me tot haha.

Didn't know you could get ranitidine without a prescription. That's great as trying to get a GP appointment at my surgery is a joke.

Hmm will give the peppermint tea a go

BathshebaDarkstone Sun 28-Feb-16 21:47:31

I did all that and drank loads of milk, nothing worked, sorry. I hope you haven't got long to go. flowers

zannyminxoxox Sun 28-Feb-16 21:58:19

Im on ranitidine as mine is so bad works a treat smile although I have to half my 300mg or it makes me super starving and I belch like crazy. Ask your midwife next time hopefully be able to get the doctor to prescribe some

nixxxy Sun 28-Feb-16 21:59:46

Peptac is like Gaviscon but cheaper and more chalky/gloopy - you could always give that a whirl? It's much cheaper too and comes in Peppermint or Aniseed flavours.

SheilaTakeABow Sun 28-Feb-16 22:02:24

Trebor Extra Strong mints after eating and just generally throughout the day worked for me when Ranitidine stopped having any effect.

Colabottle10 Sun 28-Feb-16 22:06:44

I'm currently munchkin on mint imperials...they are really working!

Shirkingfromhome Sun 28-Feb-16 22:07:22

Gaviscon double action sachets. Don't drink plain water, add cordial or sliced lemons. Peppermint Tea.

Second pregnancy, awful heartburn both times and bald babies. Hope you find something that works for you OP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now