Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Should my bump drop ?

(11 Posts)
AmeeMcx Sun 28-Feb-16 14:35:19

I'm 38 weeks gone and have suffered since last night with horrendous lower back pain with tightening feeling in my bump. Everyone i talk to seems to think labour is starting but bump hasn't dropped yet is that a possibility or probably braxton hicks ? Not really too sure how to tell the difference between braxton hicks and labour as haven't had them throughout pregnancy and this is my first.

NickNacks Sun 28-Feb-16 14:38:29

The bump drops when the baby engages in to the pelvis. This usually but do not have to happen before labour begins. My ds2 never engaged and he was my earliest and quickest delivery.

Good luck!

Dixiechick17 Sun 28-Feb-16 15:01:26

Mine dropped at 32 week as baby was engaged, she was born at 40+4, so it doesn't always mean labour is imminent. My friends dropped and her baby engaged when her waters broke.

winewolfhowls Sun 28-Feb-16 15:04:15

Mine was always quite low but I never got the bowling ball between the legs feeling that everyone told me about. No change of feeling for me until labour

winewolfhowls Sun 28-Feb-16 15:04:36

Oh and baby was engaged for weeks

AmeeMcx Sun 28-Feb-16 15:41:34

So is there a foolproof way to tell the difference between braxton hicks and labour pains or do I just ride it out and see what happens ?

Dixiechick17 Sun 28-Feb-16 15:47:44

I can't comment as my braxton hicks were painless and my contractions bought me to my knees as I pretty much went straight into established labour.

Wait4nothing Sun 28-Feb-16 15:52:04

I've read that braxton hicks stop/change when you change position. Might be worth a walk and a sit/lie differently. My braxton hicks are painless as of yet (31weeks - started maybe a week ago) so I don't have much experience!

Dixiechick17 Sun 28-Feb-16 15:59:07

Also labour pains tend to be quite regular, braxton hicks are more random.

Junosmum Sun 28-Feb-16 16:24:43

Mine never did. At one midwife appointment I was 2/5 engaged, high bump, 3 days later went in to labour.

KayTee87 Mon 29-Feb-16 15:10:44

Apparently braxton hicks get better or go away if you go for a walk, contractions worsten if you go for a walk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now