Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Calorie intake in pregnancy - I can't stop eating!

(21 Posts)
Pagetta Sat 27-Feb-16 21:18:47

Ok so I've used a calorie/exercise tracker app for years now - not always to lose weight but i find it a really good way to keep track and helps me see what works and patterns and great for food education too. I find it too easy to kid yourself if it's not written down.

So I know this question may sound a bit bonkers and obsessive (so please dont judge) but..what sort of calorie intake do you have during pregnancy?
With DS1 mine fluctuated but nothing too bad overall.
This time round I am an absolute gannet - I'm averaging 2500 calories most days, some days so much more and I'm really worried I'm going to end up with a shed load of excess fatty weight...
But I can't stop! I don't know if it's because I'm more knackered as I have a toddler to chase as well as FT job, so am craving sugary food to keep me going?
But what's normal?
They say you shouldn't 'eat for two', but others say if you are hungry then eat in pregnancy and not to diet....

I'm normally a healthy weight and very active but SPD and lack of time means my activity has been very limited this pregnancy I think I'm just feeling a bit sloth like and it's frustrating :-(
I'm 24 weeks and have so far gained 16lbs. At the min it's a pound a week!

Any advice on curbing appetite??! On how to be sensible with this when all you want to do is eat - constantly?!

MyKingdomForBrie Sat 27-Feb-16 21:24:31

Your body apparently doesn't need any extra calories until the third trimester then only a limited amount. I wouldn't worry about it though, you can lose it afterwards. I can't imagine being hungry is a good idea.

Skinny9741 Sat 27-Feb-16 22:21:41

I'm the same but I'm not even hungry. I have stopped smoking and am struggling to know when I'm full, when I'm hungry or when I'm just bored. I dread to think how much I have put on. However I do try to drink lots of water- I buy a 2 litre bottle and re fill it 2-3 times a day. I try to keep busy and plan to only eat 3 meals a day but so far that hasn't happened so watching for other tips.

Salene Sat 27-Feb-16 22:29:36

You don't need any extra calories untill last 4/5 weeks when you can take a extra 200 a day.

Pagetta Sat 27-Feb-16 22:33:30

I drink loads too! My three meals are always pretty healthy but it's all the inbetween crap!
Maybe some of its boredom like you say - my DH has been away a lot with wit work so it's work/sofa/bed day in day out for me :-(
I just ate cooking chocolate ffs - I'm like a woman possessed!
Normally I'm at gym / running / do insanity if at home. I think this helps me frame of mind and my outlook. The lack of activity is a killer!

TattieHowkerz Sat 27-Feb-16 22:43:57

In both my pregnancies (15w with my second) I have had massively increased appetite. I just go with it, I reckon my body knows what I need. I don't know what my increased calories would work out at, but I probably eat an extra 50% of what I usually would. I don't weigh myself but tend to be slim (BMI at start of pregnancy was 18). At the end of my last pregnancy I was definitely fatter all over, especially in my face. I lost it all in the year after giving birth without trying in any way. I think I weighed less after DD turned 1 than I did prepregnancy. Listen to your body!

TwllBach Sat 27-Feb-16 22:49:48

I'm finding the SPD a killer too, and I've just been signed off work because of it at 31 weeks. I am almost completely housebound and although I wasn't as active as you I was walking the dog for a good hour a day and now I'm broken after 15 minutes of slow waddling... So I eat blush

I do think you are doing better than me though as I'm at a 2 stone weight gain at 31 weeks.

kiki22 Sat 27-Feb-16 22:53:15

I think that 2500 would be an absolute maximum I'm taking about 1700/800 and not gained anything in 14 weeks, its hard to not eat the sugary things you are craving but you know the right things to give you energy try to go for them and fight the cravings. I gained way to much with my first it was really hard to lose it and massively effected by fitness level after he was born. I'm being much more mindful of my weight and health this time with a preschooler and newborn to look after I need to be in the best position to recover quickly.

malvinandhobbes Sun 28-Feb-16 07:41:37

Me too. I have gained a lot of weight. I have managed to cut back now on all processed desserts and junk foods. I hardly ever ate those pre-pregnancy but developed some bad habits during the first trimester when I had morning sickness.

Even now that I am eating pre-pregnancy levels of food, I do notice that I eat more carbs. I am also much less active because I am so tired. Yesterday we went on a small 4 mile walk, and I spent the rest of the day on the sofa. Because I am so tired and less active I should probably be eating less.

I did also gain a ton of weight in my first two pregnancies as well. It fell off effortlessly with the first over a year, and required a bit of work with the second. I am trying now to only eat when I am hungry and not eat processed foods. Looking in the mirror at the fat on my hips and butt, and realising I have 20 weeks to go is helpful for willpower.

bikingintherain Sun 28-Feb-16 07:50:09

I gained a lot in pregnancy one, mostly because I had an attitude that I was pregnant and didn't matter I could eat what I like. It took a long time for the weight to come off.

My second pregnancy I didn't want to gain as much if I didn't need to, but didn't want to restrict myself, so I came up with a rule that if I wanted something to eat I could have it, but first I needed to eat a portion of fruit/veg. That really helped and I did out in less. (It went out the window with the last four weeks being Decemeber but up until then worked well)

This time, I'm not hungry at all. And have to really encourage myself to eat.

Each time is different, and ultimately you can lose it on the other side, so try not to worry too much.

Incidentally it was breast feeding where I eat utter crap all the time. I was so hungry and only wanted processed sugar!

Mermaid36 Sun 28-Feb-16 07:59:45

I'm 19+3 with twins and some days I just get The Hunger.....I can easily pack away 2500-3000 cals without thinking about it. Not so much sweet stuff, usually toast, crisps etc on top of my meals (or an increase in my meals, eg cereal AND toast for brekkie).
I've put on just under a stone, which I'm ok with, as there are two in there!

I do think it counterbalances with the days when I am not bothered about eating at all and end up with soup (or nothing) instead of a 'proper' meal in the evening.

Pagetta Sun 28-Feb-16 08:21:30

I wish I had days when I didn't eat much!

Bikingintherain I did the same with my first - thought I could 'eat what I liked' while breastfeeding and im sure that's when I gained the hard-to-shift love handles!

It does still look to be all bump and boob at min with this one but I know I need to be careful with it.

It's a good tip to eat fruit first have been buying more berries of late which is helping. Doesn't help I'm in an office surrounded by office cake and chocolate stashes every day. I actually do better on weekends!

I am normally good at sensible eating and not over indulging in this stuff though - I dont know what's going on with this pregnancy!

Pagetta Sun 28-Feb-16 08:22:22

I'm also already signed up for a 10 mile race in Nov so I'm Hoping that will kick me up the bum once bubs is here!

TheMasterMurderedMargarita Sun 28-Feb-16 08:34:39

I'm the same as *Tattie*.
My appetite has gone crazy and I was sure I was going to have put on weight by my booking appt but no.
2500 a day seems like a lot though.
The midwife said to eat if you are hungry your body tells you what it needs and if you are active it'll burn off. And you are growing a baby!
So far put on 6lbs at 14 weeks so we'll see what happens but I've been making an effort not to reach for the crisps and eat fruit/veg/healthy snacks first to try and fill up.
But if I want cake I'm having it!

OhWhatAPalaver Sun 28-Feb-16 08:45:16

I honestly wouldn't worry about it. I was the same as Tattie with my first and thus far the second seems to be the same. Weight all around bump and boobs. I lost loads of weight with all the breastfeeding last time but don't intend to bf for quite as long this time round so maybe I won't end up looking stick thin! I am just eating almost whatever I like, my job keeps me busy so I eat constantly as work but not quite as much on my days off. Just listen to your body and if you do crave something sweet try fruit or fruit based snacks before anything else. Seems to work for me most of the time but if I'm really hungry between meals I always need carbs like a big Danish pastry to fill the hole.

Swollenankles83 Sun 28-Feb-16 09:11:23

I have craved very carby foods in this pregnancy (and in the first trimester it was all that would keep me from throwing up) - I initially gave myself a free pass, thinking j must be needing it. I then heard the advice re not needing extra until the last few weeks and that kicked me up the bum to realise I should be a bit more careful. Now at the end, I've put on about a stone but I think I'll lose it quickly as I don't seem 'fatter'. Out of interest what is the app you mentioned OP? I think I would benefit from using it!

Pagetta Sun 28-Feb-16 09:25:13

I use my fitness pal app its really handy. It's usually set so I have 1700 a day net calories - having calorie counted for soooo long i know that 2200 maintains my weight so 1700 is the aim for weight loss!
I achieve it in the weeks but wine always ruined weekends ha!
I've adjusted it to 2000 for pregnancy but rarely stick to this unless I can get to gym / out for walk! It does highlight though that it is all in the snacking - and im eating a LOT more fat than I ever have.
It's a real change in eating behaviour for me and not a welcome one!

Salene Sun 28-Feb-16 09:37:11

I'm 17 weeks and have put on 3lb I've been eating junk food

I'm determined to start being healthier

Last pregnacy I put on 3 stone in total I did lose it again quite easily but really could do with losing another stone too pre pregnacy , so I need to ditch the junk and be healthier

Breakfast today was a egg on brown toast

I'm making spinach soup for lunch and having salad with quorn chicken for tea

Here's hoping I can keep it up

Swollenankles83 Sun 28-Feb-16 09:49:10

Thanks pagetta!

skankingpiglet Sun 28-Feb-16 11:07:06

You don't say how tall etc you are. When not pregnant, based on my age, sex, and height I apparently need 2400/day, and that's not allowing for my physically active job. So your 2500 may not actually be that high. In terms of how much you've gained, it's hard to compare as again I don't know your size before you started but it doesn't sound bad at all. My BMI was about 24.5 pre-pregnancy, and I've gained 12lbs at 23wks. From my last pregnancy and what's happened so far in this one, I appear to gain lots in the first tri (10lbs this time) then very slow growth, until the last few weeks when last time I piled on a stone in a month confused Over the pregnancy with DD I gained within the expected amounts, but at a completely different rate to the charts.

In pregnancy I find my appetite varies wildly from day to day or week to week. I just go with it. Yesterday all I could manage was carbs but lots of them, DH even felt the need to mention perhaps I didn't need that next packet of crisps (he soon realised his mistake wink). The day before I ate like a bird, I just didn't fancy anything or feel hungry. Try and trust your body. Eat if you're hungry, try and eat healthily when you can, but if you want cake then have it. I used to be an obsessive calorie counter, it didn't do me any good, and writing this post I can see I've not been able to completely rid myself of my awareness of all my figures.

Pagetta Sun 28-Feb-16 16:28:35

skankingpiglet I'm usually 9st at 5ft 3 - 22 bmi. Not an active job as such but very busy, active and hectic day to day life - 2200 suits me, so 2500 not sky high but not ideal!
First pregnancy my weight mostly went on in 3rd tri - I was 9 days over and went up to 11.5! Most of that went by 6 wks after birth thank goodness!

4 weeks ago I'd only put on 6lbs - in last 4 weeks I've gained another 10 - it's all on my bump at the minute but still 4 mnths for things to change!

It's interesting to hear others experiences - and it highlights how different everyone is too!

Am trying to start being good as of today...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now